Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

craig2k9

Trophies
XP
Country
ok complete nooobie question here, i managed to get the twilght hack installed on my wii... but then i formatted the wii and im trying to do it again, iv followed the instructions again and everytime i ty nad copy the europe twilight hack from the sd card to the wii.. it says Files not copied... any1 know y?

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
craig2k9 said:
ok complete nooobie question here, i managed to get the twilght hack installed on my wii... but then i formatted the wii and im trying to do it again, iv followed the instructions again and everytime i ty nad copy the europe twilight hack from the sd card to the wii.. it says Files not copied... any1 know y?

Correct save version? (as in the 'newest' twilight hack used for system menu 3.4)

craig2k9

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i figured that... i was using the 3.3 version... used the 3.4 version, and then downgraded my wii to 3.2E and now a backup a game i have is working perfect =D... dont have to go through the HBC to load it either just load it like its a normal game.... softmii is awsum

is there a way i can load Dvds from the wii system menu?

WiiMonkey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there a proper proper idiots tut/guide on how to make your own CSM as im having touble following the guides on here, please make it as simple as possible and with pics if possible, thanks a million

knet2020

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I somehow knew it may come to this...

I need some advice I seem to be having issues with my system, I haven't bricked or anything but i cannot get the wiikey config to 'save state' by this I mean if I set region override to 'on' it defaults to 'off' on a reset. I have HBC & Startfall installed and can play out of region games through this without issue. I have also been able to re-install the Pal WK (1.9s) firmware via Gecko this went without error, now without Gecko none of my backup discs except in region ones will play.

I have switched this from a JPN system > Pal using RC and all was well, the only thing I can think off is running that Pinkfish disk.

My question is really does this appear to point to a WiiKey issue OR more worrying the possibility that somehow my SYSCONF has become corrupted??

The Startfall region free does not seem to work either. Which makes me think it could be the latter. Also would re-installing the same region via ARC and no re-running my WK config cause this?

Suggestions, pointers would be welcomed :-)

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it normal for a torrent thats around 4 gb to take over 24 hours to download? That's how long it took me to download re4 wii edition and it had 40 seeds. And how do you know when your done seeding? How long is that supposed to take?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
JJBro1 said:
Is it normal for a torrent thats around 4 gb to take over 24 hours to download? That's how long it took me to download re4 wii edition and it had 40 seeds. And how do you know when your done seeding? How long is that supposed to take?
Depends on seeds, peers, your connection speed and program used
Your done seeding when u press STOP

WiiMonkey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JJBro1 said:

24 Hours rofl 2hrs it takes me for a 4gb file. I would never wait 24 hours for such a reasonable small file these days

AetherMaster

Aether
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I seem to be having a very odd problem with WiiGator's Gamma launcher.

I just recently got a new Wii, and downgraded it from 3.3v2U to 3.2U. I have both the Twilight hack and Starfall installed.

When I try to load the Backup Launcher, I get a black screen with Wiigator's logo. That's It. No menu, no "launching game" text. Nothing. Just that logo.

ALSO, my Wii freezes in this screen. I have to either unplug it or hold in the power button to shut it off.

I went to reinstall the cIOS, but when I load that app through the homebrew channel, it also freezes. I can't press "A" like it tells me to in order to install the cIOS.

Anybody think they can help me? I'd really appreciate it. thanks
smile.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Remove the memory card from slot 2. Gamma really needs an update, not a technical one, just with a text: "if your Wii is frozen right now, remove the memory card from slot 2".

AetherMaster

Aether
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Remove the memory card from slot 2. Gamma really needs an update, not a technical one, just with a text: "if your Wii is frozen right now, remove the memory card from slot 2".
Thank you So much, WiiPower, it worked!
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

Freeloader is blocked on further updates...

You're best choice?

Install HBC, and get Gecko OS.

That's that.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nugs said:
Hi, I am not up with Wii mods at all. If all I want to do is play original games from different regions what is the easiest way for me to do this?

Homebrew channel and from there Gecko OS and/or SoftChip. If you get color issues try different options first. If you get black&white playback with one setting and a green screen freeze with the other, you found one of the more trouble causing import games.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
knet2020 said:
I somehow knew it may come to this...

I need some advice I seem to be having issues with my system, I haven't bricked or anything but i cannot get the wiikey config to 'save state' by this I mean if I set region override to 'on' it defaults to 'off' on a reset. I have HBC & Startfall installed and can play out of region games through this without issue. I have also been able to re-install the Pal WK (1.9s) firmware via Gecko this went without error, now without Gecko none of my backup discs except in region ones will play.

I have switched this from a JPN system > Pal using RC and all was well, the only thing I can think off is running that Pinkfish disk.

My question is really does this appear to point to a WiiKey issue OR more worrying the possibility that somehow my SYSCONF has become corrupted??

The Startfall region free does not seem to work either. Which makes me think it could be the latter. Also would re-installing the same region via ARC and no re-running my WK config cause this?

Suggestions, pointers would be welcomed :-)

Well starfall don't work at all the region free hack, there is an Any Region Changer in the SoftMii package, that install these hacks inside the SysMenu, so the region free is real now, you can search for this special edition as Any Region Changer mod5 or m5 install the 3.2 sysmenu of the region you want and it will re-install that with the hacks installed inside the SysMenu, about your WiiKey problem I don't know anything about chips, sorry...!!!
blush.gif

Exort

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All right. I had homebrew channel installed for a while (like, before the 23th october) and now I just picked up Wii hacking again when I saw about the backup launchers.

I have done my own tests on my console and I've been able to run the gamma loader .dol on my 3.3U Wii just perfect. Still, I'm pretty confused by all the "noob proof guide" and need deeper explanations on some things. Here's a nice list of questions. BTW, I've tried to look up the forum and WiiBrew for some answers, but some things remain unclear.[*]What exactly is cios_fix ? Do I still need it if I installed cios rev7 ? If not, what's the ID in AnyTitleDeleter (not sure about name) so I can remove it.[*]There seems to be different versions of cIOS. One for Rock Band (248 I think?) and some versions of 249. I installed the WiiGator one rev 7 I think. Is it alright ?[*]I use gamma loader 0.3 or something like that. Is there a difference between loaders (compatibility) ?[*]I did not use any downgrader yet. From what I understood, one downgrader (cIOS downgrader?) let's you use the system menu version you want, correct ? What does the other downgrader is used for then?[*]Here's the part I really need help understanding : the big deal with updates. Right now, I'm running on 3.3U. Don't know if it's pre or post october 23. All I know is that I've been able to install everything from the normal WAD manager. I've installed IOS16 anyway, just to be sure in the future. I did not test the Shop Channel, never go there. Do I still need to downgrade anything ? Some of you will say yes to install Starfall or use trucha signing. But if I don't fake sign anything and stay at my current version, there's no reason to fear any updates, right ? What's dangerous about new officials IOS installations ? Can new update suddenly brick my Wii ? Like, if I buy or rent an original game and it installs update, do I really have to care ?[*]Can I install a loader channel on my current version ?[*] This one highly depends on the previous one but in my situation, is BrickBlocker and/or IOS patcher necessary ? (excepts for specific games wich need special IOS)[*] Finally, can I update to 3.4U for the improved disc reading ? (My Wii never really did read very well) Will backuped games benefit for it (considering I'm not patching ISO) ?[*] EDIT: What is gecko OS??Yeah, some of them are pretty noob questions but I really want to understand everything. I will also be setting up my cousin's 3.4U Wii (already has HBC, IOS16 and cios_fix installed) and I don't want to screw his Wii and downgrade if unecessary.

PS: sorry for the english, it's late now and I'm not a native speaker.

EDIT : Oh dam, I forgot : Thanks a lot for anyone who helps me! ^^

thatcoolguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a huge concern since my wii is one of the older ones, it's softmodded with cIOS and whatever other crap i put on it. if the console were to break and i had no alternative to send it to nintendo (to fix for a fee), what are the chances they won't even touch it? is it feasible to wipe all traces of homebrew on a softmodded wii? i know eventually it's going to break and i don't want to know i'm SOL when there's no alternative for a replacement but purchasing a new one. anyone have any history getting softmodded wii's serviced?

freezeburn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thatcoolguy said:
i have a huge concern since my wii is one of the older ones, it's softmodded with cIOS and whatever other crap i put on it. if the console were to break and i had no alternative to send it to nintendo (to fix for a fee), what are the chances they won't even touch it? is it feasible to wipe all traces of homebrew on a softmodded wii? i know eventually it's going to break and i don't want to know i'm SOL when there's no alternative for a replacement but purchasing a new one. anyone have any history getting softmodded wii's serviced?

I don't know about the wii but for my experiences with the NDS I would assume they would just send u a different unit (refurbished). I've sent back 2 NDS systems to Nintendo for repairs and they were both flashed, I got different units every time that i had to flash all over again
yaynds.gif

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exort said:
All right. I had homebrew channel installed for a while (like, before the 23th october) and now I just picked up Wii hacking again when I saw about the backup launchers.

I have done my own tests on my console and I've been able to run the gamma loader .dol on my 3.3U Wii just perfect. Still, I'm pretty confused by all the "noob proof guide" and need deeper explanations on some things. Here's a nice list of questions. BTW, I've tried to look up the forum and WiiBrew for some answers, but some things remain unclear.[*]What exactly is cios_fix ? Do I still need it if I installed cios rev7 ? If not, what's the ID in AnyTitleDeleter (not sure about name) so I can remove it.[*]There seems to be different versions of cIOS. One for Rock Band (248 I think?) and some versions of 249. I installed the WiiGator one rev 7 I think. Is it alright ?[*]I use gamma loader 0.3 or something like that. Is there a difference between loaders (compatibility) ?[*]I did not use any downgrader yet. From what I understood, one downgrader (cIOS downgrader?) let's you use the system menu version you want, correct ? What does the other downgrader is used for then?[*]Here's the part I really need help understanding : the big deal with updates. Right now, I'm running on 3.3U. Don't know if it's pre or post october 23. All I know is that I've been able to install everything from the normal WAD manager. I've installed IOS16 anyway, just to be sure in the future. I did not test the Shop Channel, never go there. Do I still need to downgrade anything ? Some of you will say yes to install Starfall or use trucha signing. But if I don't fake sign anything and stay at my current version, there's no reason to fear any updates, right ? What's dangerous about new officials IOS installations ? Can new update suddenly brick my Wii ? Like, if I buy or rent an original game and it installs update, do I really have to care ?[*]Can I install a loader channel on my current version ?[*] This one highly depends on the previous one but in my situation, is BrickBlocker and/or IOS patcher necessary ? (excepts for specific games wich need special IOS)[*] Finally, can I update to 3.4U for the improved disc reading ? (My Wii never really did read very well) Will backuped games benefit for it (considering I'm not patching ISO) ?[*] EDIT: What is gecko OS??Yeah, some of them are pretty noob questions but I really want to understand everything. I will also be setting up my cousin's 3.4U Wii (already has HBC, IOS16 and cios_fix installed) and I don't want to screw his Wii and downgrade if unecessary.

PS: sorry for the english, it's late now and I'm not a native speaker.

EDIT : Oh dam, I forgot : Thanks a lot for anyone who helps me! ^^
I shall do my best... subject to correction by those with more info.
1. cios_fix was waninkoko's cios37 rev3 iirc, I believe he ran into problems making a cios based on IOS37 so went with 36. If you have the rev 7 one, you're fine, it's the latest, and installs over cios_fix.
2. Yeah. you're fine. cIOS248 is a cIOS based on IOS37, fixes issues with RB. can really only be used with softchip (since softchip lets you select what IOS you want to load with). The gamma loader always uses 249.
3. Yeah there's some differences, nothing major I think. Gamma's the latest version from WiiGator. There's also SoftChip which I didn't use much so can't really comment on.
4. That's correct. cIOS downgrader lets you pick sysmenu version. The 'other one', IOS Downgrader, downgrades all your IOSes to ones that have the Trucha bug.
5. You pretty much got this pegged from what I can tell. It's IMHO probably worth it to downgrade so you can block updates with Starfall, and enable GC Y button recovery mode, can help if you install a bad wad. If you're not fake-signing anything (which I think is handled by the IOSes anyway and not the sysmenu) you can keep running 3.3 if you wish. From what I know, running an update with just HBC, a loader, and cIOS249 won't brick you, just might cause things to not work.
6. Probably, I never tried, but I think there are people running loaders with 3.4 so I'm gonna lean towards yes.
7. No. Running through just the loader is fine.
8. According to wiibrew.org their site says "Supposedly" has speed fixes for DVD and SD. If your not upgrading the IOSes that go along with it then I doubt you would gain any benefits if there are any. All your backups would be using cIOS249 with a loader anyway.
9. A region free loader. only works with originals unless you install cIOSCORP, which REPLACES all your IOSes with patched ones that can read backups.

PS: You're english was fine I wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't your native language if you didn't say anything. You did better than some people who are native speakers.

QUOTE(thatcoolguy @ Feb 25 2009, 01:43 AM) i have a huge concern since my wii is one of the older ones, it's softmodded with cIOS and whatever other crap i put on it. if the console were to break and i had no alternative to send it to nintendo (to fix for a fee), what are the chances they won't even touch it? is it feasible to wipe all traces of homebrew on a softmodded wii? i know eventually it's going to break and i don't want to know i'm SOL when there's no alternative for a replacement but purchasing a new one. anyone have any history getting softmodded wii's serviced?
If you are paying for it, I'm sure they'd fix it no matter what you had on it. That being said, it depends on what's broken, whether or not you can wipe traces of everything off. If you're bricked and can't load sysmenu or hbc then obviously you can't erase anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: With other peoples couches