Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From 1up:

"With the passionate love that fans have for 2D Metroid, it only makes sense that Nintendo would return to the format. One of the most persistent rumors has been Metroid Dread, which was never officially announced, but rumor-hungry appetites were whet again recently as Metroid Prime 3 dropped what could be interpreted as a subtle hint at the game.

Nintendo has not commented officially on the matter, but a new interview from MTV News addresses Prime-developer Retro Studios on that very question.

"It's not what you think it means," said game direct Mark Pacini. "It was [sic] something that was overlooked and wasn't in any way indicating anything about the handheld game. We know no information about the handheld games." Grilled about whether his studio was put in hot water from the supposed leak, Pacini denied that there were any repercussions and went on to explain: "We actually had a fictional element of something else in the game that by a large coincidence could be read that we were giving a hint about 'Metroid Dread,' which was not the case. It's a complete and utter coincidence."

Retro producer Bryan Walker also chimed in with his own comment, saying they are "not that clever. No conspiracy."

This would seem to put Dread to bed, at least from Retro's point of view; but for the millions of 2D Metroid faithful, it's doubtful any denial could make them lose their faith. "

So a cover up? I dunno why Nintendo would want to keep this game such a big secret, unless they are experimenting with a game codenamed "Metroid Dread" and won't want to announce it unless they think it works as a full game. Perhaps this fictional element was gonna be something expanded into a DS title but left out as Nintendo canceled the project.

Don Andy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hm, I guess the whole Metroid Dread thin really is just one big hype by the Metroid fans who wish for another 2D game.

And the accidential hint by MP3 didn't exactly help, I guess.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know I was just thinking, what if this whole thing is just some kind of test Nintendo are doing to see if people wanted a 2D Metroid??

And then I thought "since when did Nintendo ever listen to us".

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A new 2D Metroid would be a guaranteed money maker. Nintendo are a bunch of blithering idiots if they never make one for the DS.....or, a term I like to use, ignorfucks.

Same with F-Zero.
Or even the arcade version of Punch-Out, which is already a dual-screened game and, as far as I know, never released to the public in a legal form. Punch-Out Arcade is so uniquely suited to the DS that I'm surprised it wasn't among the first generation of DS games.

They would be automatic successes. Anyone with even a little common sense should know this. Why doesn't Nintendo?

Zombie_Mario

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't couldn't understand the hype for these 2D metroid games until just yesterday. Got my EZV 3-in-1 and tried Metroid Fusion. THE GAME IS GREAT. I was never a fan of the 3D Metroids on the gamecube so I ignored the franchise completely. Now I read there could be a possible 2D on the DS. BRING IT ON!

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't couldn't understand the hype for these 2D metroid games until just yesterday. Got my EZV 3-in-1 and tried Metroid Fusion. THE GAME IS GREAT. I was never a fan of the 3D Metroids on the gamecube so I ignored the franchise completely. Now I read there could be a possible 2D on the DS. BRING IT ON!
Wow! You only just played a 2D Metroid?

I recommend you try Super Metroid SNES & Metroid Zero Mission GBA (Its a remake of the first game). Metroid NES is pretty good but a lot find it dated for some reason and Metroid 2: Return of Samus GB is very enjoyable, its in monochrome but there is a well made colour patch!

A lot of fans don't like the Prime series, I love it and I personally reckon its a perfect 3D version.

Blackbull33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Metroid Dread should be a no-brainer for Nintendo. Although I love the Prime series (didn't like hunters though) an old school 2D Metroid would be a welcome return. It's always suprised me that Super Metroid hasn't been remade yet as well...

jabran200

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeh the only one i have played is return of samus on the gb and that game was excellent. I did not like 3d compared to that though. Wish they would release a 2D one.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always expected Nintendo to remake the GB game for GBA. Maybe they still can for DS or WiiWare. Would love to have a good new retro 2D (no 3D sprites, but maybe some 3D in the background) Metroid.

Nintendo just seem to only want to do new IPs for the future, which they should really be commended for as most other companies focus on rehashing their franchises to death, but sadly they do only seem to be interested in the casual market.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

I recommend you try Super Metroid SNES & Metroid Zero Mission GBA (Its a remake of the first game). Metroid NES is pretty good but a lot find it dated for some reason and Metroid 2: Return of Samus GB is very enjoyable, its in monochrome but there is a well made colour patch!

A lot of fans don't like the Prime series, I love it and I personally reckon its a perfect 3D version.
a lot of people don't like the prime series because they think of them as FPS games, and they make pretty weird FPS titles.
Honestly, Prime 1 is one of the greatest games ever, you just have to understand it isn't an FPS, it's a first person adventure.

Fusion is the last game in the Metroid story, but it's never too late to get into the series.
You will enjoy it more playing the games in order of the story, but if you're not up for that, at least play Super Metroid on the snes
if Metroid Fusion has impressed you, SM will blow you away

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

a lot of people don't like the prime series because they think of them as FPS games, and they make pretty weird FPS titles.
Honestly, Prime 1 is one of the greatest games ever, you just have to understand it isn't an FPS, it's a first person adventure.

Fusion is the last game in the Metroid story, but it's never too late to get into the series.
You will enjoy it more playing the games in order of the story, but if you're not up for that, at least play Super Metroid on the snes
if Metroid Fusion has impressed you, SM will blow you away

QFT

In terms of 2D Super Metroid is still unbeat. It's just one of the best games ever created
bow.gif

According Retro saying they 'overlooked' it. How can they possibly overlook something like that. If it had nothing to do with a game, what is its connection to MP3's story?

I'm sure a 2D Metroid will come, sometime in the future... *hoping*

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmmm, wow why can't Nintendo see the money they could make from this. But i can't really comment as i have never heard of any Metroid games apart from the Prime series. Will try the Fusion out as soon as i can buy some solder tommorrow to fix my 3 in 1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?