Hacking Nintendont

PinkRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nintendont v2.185 broke some things involving different drive combinations.
What drive is cfg on?
what drive is nintendont on?
what drive are the isos on?

Just solved it! I did two things, not sure what solved it though:
- Deleted CFG's meta.xml, also a meta.xml and titles file that were in my root
- Installed CIOS in slot 249 (default) instead of 248

Before that I tried deleting Nintendont's own meta.xml, but that didn't solve it.
Everything you mentioned is in the HDD's FAT32 partition (It's got an NTFS one, too).

Edit: Tested CFG with 248 again (had to create another meta.xml with ios = 248), no crashes. Maybe it was one of the root files, since r185 had to do with xml and titles files.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldn't you? Devolution without the sample loader doesn't tell me anything why should Nintendont? If there's any issue you just turn on the debug setting via a loader. The early revs of DML had no splash screen and it always worked for me.
If I load a Wii game it doesn't go "reloading IOS to 249" or "mounting USB port 0" it just loads the game.
I keep seeing users report nintendont dosent work when their external loader is setup to use some othe gc loader.
the externat loader should not have an option to debug nintendont. its one more option that needs to be explained and the user can mess up.
DML now has a splash screen (as do most comercial programs) I dont see anyone making changes to remove them.
At least 1 loader does tell you what ios is being used

Any user who just got into nintendont will probably be using it as boot.dol and not use autoboot, so no change.
I keep seeing more users trying to get it working from their loader without trying it as a seperate program first. Which is the intent of nintendont.

Any user with a little bit of common sense can find there's a newly created file on the root of their device, but wait they won't because they would be using autoboot; something you set on the external loaders and the file won't be written to the device(just memory).
In other words they don't have to do anything because there is no autoboot enabled unless you use a loader.
Now if the user intends to enable autoboot from within nintendont then it would of course cause problems not that it would be overly complicated to figure out though. Simple solution is to remove autoboot from the ui and only let loaders use it
At least 1 loader always writes a config file and dosent use memory. another uses a file sometimes.
Their are users that that use standalone nintendont with autoboot they are playing the same game until they finish it.
The ui is their so the information from the loaders can be seen and tested

If the user is using autoboot then there's no problem because he knows that if something goes wrong he can just start nin without autoboot and read the status text like normal. Error messages don't have to go obviously because they don't normally occur.

Errors do occure.
I dont think the loaders should have an option not to auto boot.
The best way to see what was requested is to abort the autoboot and look at the settings.

Also this is just a suggestion and I could not care less if it gets in or not, I already have nintendont tuned to my liking(minus the compatibility) this is just for the users that come every once in a while and request it, which is what prompted me to support them.
In addition I don't get you Howard, a programmer is no different than a problem solver and there are many ways to solve this issue, you sound like you just want to throw it all under the bed and disregard it in favor of users who can't figure things out on their own.
I dont see having a splash screen as a problem. user feedback can be a usefull tool for new features, but not all of their ideas are good ones.
I am used to programs with hundreds of thousand of users. Whare every change has an effect on how many support personal we need. First I want to eliminate as many problems as possable. Then I want to make sure we give them the information so they can solve their problems them selves without having to look anything up.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I dont see having a splash screen as a problem. user feedback can be a usefull tool for new features, but not all of their ideas are good ones.
I am used to programs with hundreds of thousand of users. Whare every change has an effect on how many support personal we need. First I want to eliminate as many problems as possable. Then I want to make sure we give them the information so they can solve their problems them selves without having to look anything up.
You're right, the splash isn't a problem just a minor inconsistency with other loaders. This answer's enough for me I won't bring it up again.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
In addition I don't get you Howard, a programmer is no different than a problem solver and there are many ways to solve this issue, you sound like you just want to throw it all under the bed and disregard it in favor of users who can't figure things out on their own.

Part of the job of a programmer is debugging (or problem solving in a sense)
However, a request is not really a "problem"

Devs working on a homebrew project is kinda a hobby rather than a job, it is up to them to do or solve what ever they like (even if its a problem).
How many devs have stop working on their own projects? So they all abandoned their responsibilities?

Ideas should be welcome, but the point has been brought up more than twice, and devs also said they don't like it more than twice.
They already know what you guys wanted. Can't we just move on and not repeating ourselves??

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
The Bios feature is simply perfect. I'm using abz mastermod and just for esthetic purposes I "erased" the message "B: cancel autoboot" (not recommended) from the boot.dol, btw I'm not using any loader, just the nintendont app directly from the HBC. Thanks again to everyone! :grog:

if the autoboot option is off and you don't need any usb loaders, then deleting the message is useless since it will not show if you are using my latest mod

Reactions: zerofalcon

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Part of the job of a programmer is debugging (or problem solving in a sense)
However, a request is not really a "problem"

Devs working on a homebrew project is kinda a hobby rather than a job, it is up to them to do or solve what ever they like (even if its a problem).
How many devs have stop working on their own projects? So they all abandoned their responsibilities?

They already know what you guys wanted. Can't we just move on and not repeating ourselves??

OK, I will bring it up again since you asked nicely, the basis of this request is to swap bg.png for a completely black image when autoboot is enabled not exactly something that would take a dev's evening. Howard gave a good reason why it is not a good idea to go with because of the users, not because he can't do it or any other dev can't do it, i.e. it's not about the code.
If a request fixes a problem then it is still a request to fix a problem.

NekoKat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've had this happening for various versions now but I never thought much of it since it's not something game-breaking or important, but I'm curious.

When playing Tales of Symphonia, any of you get a quick "BEEP" when going into combat when regular BGM gets interrupted for fight music BGM?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this happening for various versions now but I never thought much of it since it's not something game-breaking or important, but I'm curious.

When playing Tales of Symphonia, any of you get a quick "BEEP" when going into combat when regular BGM gets interrupted for fight music BGM?

Most little beeps are caused by memory card writing so it's probably that.

NekoKat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Most little beeps are caused by memory card writing so it's probably that.
Oh, it writes to memory card when it enters combats? o_o like, probably to keep a record of the encounters encountered by the player like abyss? (I dont remember right now if Symphonia kept track of encounters since I never put attention to how many encounters I have ,heh)

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, it writes to memory card when it enters combats? o_o like, probably to keep a record of the encounters encountered by the player like abyss? (I dont remember right now if Symphonia kept track of encounters since I never put attention to how many encounters I have ,heh)

Super Smash Bros Melee writes to the memory card when you pick your character. It does it at very weird times

I only beaten Graces all the way so can't help much otherwise. The games are way too damn long!

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
GC IPL support is one of the nicest improvement for me !
I haven't tried yet but is MC management functional ? (I have only read the changelog...)
Wii's GC MC management is very slow and ugly...

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GC IPL support is one of the nicest improvement for me !
I haven't tried yet but is MC management functional ? (I have only read the changelog...)
Wii's GC MC management is very slow and ugly...
Hi! It should be fully functional but before changing stuff in your MC I recommend doing a backup just in case.

nonosto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I already ask question, but I have no answer:

I install the last version, V2.277, but Nintendont dont save setting, especially auto boot = ON for usb loader and MCEMU=ON for triforce game. When reboot nintendont I must change setting.

Could you help me please?

Thnaks

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been on version version 2.256 for a long time, when grabbing the latest version, I can't load Nintendon't through USB Loader GX, says it's not supported to load from USB. Anyone else had this problem? It seems like it broke around version 265 or around there, I think.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've been on version version 2.256 for a long time, when grabbing the latest version, I can't load Nintendon't through USB Loader GX, says it's not supported to load from USB. Anyone else had this problem? It seems like it broke around version 265 or around there, I think.
that is obviosly an outated usbloader gx version...

fish & chips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I'm using USBGX r1233-1234 straight from Cyan's signature and it happens the same to me with the latest revisions of Nintendont. However, if you keep trying the games will eventually load, just keep clicking on Start and then on Ok when the dialog saying USB is not supported appears. It can take a couple of tries or over a dozen sometimes though.

Also, according to Cyan's signature: "1235-36 has issues! don't use it to stay safe"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying