Nintendo stops offering repairs for original 3DS

image.png

With the advent of the New 2DS XL, it seems like Nintendo is slowly phasing out support for its original line of 3DS handhelds. As seen on the Nintendo of America support site, Nintendo no longer offers send-in repairs for the old 3DS. The 3DS XL and 2DS are still supported, however. What does Nintendo recommend to do if your original 3DS stops working? To buy a N3DS, of course!

Nintendo no longer offers factory repairs for the original 3DS system. Newer 3DS family products, (Including the 3DS XL and 2DS) are still being repaired.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But they were able to support the NES well into the Wii's lifecycle. Thats pretty damn impressive for a system to be supported for 22 years. The 3DS is still an ongoing system so this is not so easy to grasp the understanding of their decision. Nintendo would go long ways to not be so transparent sometimes.
I mean, you are right.
Nintendo is really hard to follow because they do things without explaining it. My posts was just as much speculation as your post.
Maybe it's cost of parts? Maybe cost of labor? The NES really didn't have that many revisions compared to the 3DS. Like there wasn't a newNES with upgrade parts, there was just NES and some fucked up top loading NES...with the same parts...2NES

Last edited by The Catboy,

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure they stopped offering repairs for the original 3DS long ago.

This isn't new news to me.

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just have to hope that I don't fuck up my 3ds then. It hasn't broken yet and I've dropped it over 9000 times so I'm probably good

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
capitalism...
to those who replied me with things like "Otherwise we would still be playing GameBoy Color" (sorry, but like six persons did it and makes me lazy quote you all xD), what I found wrong here is this:
What does Nintendo recommend to do if your original 3DS stops working? To buy a N3DS, of course!

I mean, I am not hopping a "fix it yourself" section, but I think that the "recomendation" was not necessary

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Eh. Probably all of the O3DS systems out there are past the warranty, so it's not a huge loss.

...is a system that doesn't work. Размер всей собственности, товарищ!

Сука Блять!

ok shitposting aside, ninty dont offer repairs for us mexicans (and if they do they're expensive) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Deleted User

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's kind of weird since nintendo stopped repairing original NES systems back in like 2007.
A NES is made out of generic, non-SMD electronic parts (outside of the combo cpu+sound generator, the gpu, the card slot, and the controller sockets; but they all had have clones made and can still be bought online for cheap) AND can actually be repaired, due to those parts all being replaceable on their own

You can replace the screens/touch panel (with caveats) of your Wii or newer Nintendo product, but brick your operating system or burn out the CPU and the "repair" is a new motherboard, since they are matched parts due to encryption, you aren't going to reflash it without a nand backup they don't have or xorpads they don't have, and it's not worth the time/effort/risk of replacing BGAs

BTW, the Famicom was made and "actively" sold until 2003, if your next question would have been "why would they have stocked NES parts to cover through 2007" :)

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: Mark McDonut

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think there's something pretty much everyone is overlooking - the 3D top screen is used in no other device, so it's probably hard to source and/or expensive. For all we know, those manufacturers are focusing on the XL sized screens for the n3DSXLs. This could be why there are only a very limited amount of standard size n3DS units, and why they introduced the n2DSXL - a unit with a much easier to source top screen.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already had $99 closeouts- they're called the Black Friday small n3DS sale.

Those were 'specials.' A 'closeout' is when something is sold for a bargain price to make it go away for good, and there's not going to be any stock replacing it.

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
Support (via game releases) and support (via repairs) are two different things.
Yes. I can buy a latest game, accidently break my 3DS, and I'm left with a cartridge, now useless. Which is what they want - having to buy a NEW 3DS.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I can buy a latest game, accidently break my 3DS, and I'm left with a cartridge, now useless. Which is what they want - having to buy a NEW 3DS.
They want as much of your money as possible like every other business out there (shocker), but IMO a 3DS is pretty hard to break in the first place.

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...is a system that doesn't work.
Capitalism is human nature. Even in communist dictatorships, free markets emerge.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Switch should be the star now, the 3DS needs to go.
And parents who only have $100 to spend on a console for their kids can go straight to hell

Reactions: Deleted User

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
They want as much of your money as possible like every other business out there (shocker), but IMO a 3DS is pretty hard to break in the first place.
Yeah, you're right. My NDS is still working fine without a repair since 2007! And I kinda understand why they wanted to drop O3DS so soon and sell N3DSs, since they made an enormous discount in O3DS's early days... But can't help feeling sad about it. They never stopped services so soon for such successful devices.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And parents who only have $100 to spend on a console for their kids can go straight to hell
The 3DS and all of its games won't magically disappear off the face of the planet just because Nintendo discontinued it, there's millions of units in the wild and thousands of games to choose from. Six years is ample support, it's about time to move on. There will always be people who can't afford next gens, that shouldn't be a reason to stall when the 3DS release schedule has already dried up and the "successor" is out. The Switch needs all the support it can get, the 3DS will do fine without any.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol