Nintendo has just released a new firmware update for the Nintendo 3DS

fdhsuiifhsdukfhuisdhfuisd.png

It's time to update! No, not your Nintendo Switch--go dust off your Nintendo 3DS, because Nintendo has just pushed out a brand new firmware release for the old handheld. Version 11.17.0-50U is available now to download, offering the general promises of stability that we've come to enjoy so much. The update is so late in the Nintendo 3DS's lifespan, that the firmware updates have outlasted the system's own eShop. The ylws8bot Twitter account notes that under the hood and guise of stability, some minor changes to the eShop app, System Settings, and Internet Browser were detected. Be wary of updating to the new firmware.

:arrow: Source

AlexKor

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So basically, now you need to update os, to get updates for the cartridge games. I just throw them away now, completely, cuz i can't buy DLC any way, but i can download them. And updates too. I don't play this game, no need updates. Not confirm it.

Reactions: Waddleclaws

Voster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very simple. At some point, possibly with Switch 2 (or w/e it ends up being called), they will do VC or ports of 3DS games.

Down the line people will be interested in playing FE: Awakening, Fates, Samus Returns and a lot of other 3DS games, specially those that didn't or couldn't back then, just like with a lot of people getting into Zeldas that were like babies or not even born when the N64 was around.

But they would be able to do so for free by using firmware on an old console. Instead by blocking it, they will market it a selling feature of the new console, with a subscription pass for access, of course.

Only way to play those games is on the used market or custom firmware, none of it gives Nintendo money. Even if it did, why pay $40 to have the game forever when they can make you pay $10 in a monthly subscription for a 8+ year cycle for games they already made years ago?

If this update gets a workaround, they'll simply do another update. Just like the PS3 still does.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Guys... Honestly. Calm down. ntrboot still works and cannot be patched.
The issue with nrtboot is that it's still very limiting to those who either have the hardware or can get access to it. This update fucks over everyone else as a result and that's kind of bad. Do note, I am someone who heavily suggests that everyone should have a cart either always flashed or ready to be flashed because it's super handy, but even I still suggested the other options.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The issue with nrtboot is that it's still very limiting to those who either have the hardware or can get access to it. This update fucks over everyone else as a result and that's kind of bad. Do note, I am someone who heavily suggests that everyone should have a cart either always flashed or ready to be flashed because it's super handy, but even I still suggested the other options.
today the NRTBoot carts are rare and priced, so is no too easy for everyone get their hands on one.

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
today the NRTBoot carts are rare and priced, so is no too easy for everyone get their hands on one.
Not really - they're not exactly the easiest to find if you don't know where to look, but they're still being made and still pretty cheap (~$10 USD). Current recommended one is the dual-mode Ace3DS X which can be found on aliexpress

• Love
Reactions: zoogie and impeeza

SpaceboyScreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To all the haters - If you dislike Nintendo so much why then do you own their system and games? Seriously, if you hate them then get rid of their products and move on. No one likes to hear you complain that the stuff you likely didn't pay for doesn't live up to your expectations. Nintendo hackers are some whiny bitches.
Same reason I love my country but hate my government. Nintendo makes the most fun games (IMO) but runs their company like North Korea.

Reactions: Maximumbeans

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To all the haters - If you dislike Nintendo so much why then do you own their system and games? Seriously, if you hate them then get rid of their products and move on. No one likes to hear you complain that the stuff you likely didn't pay for doesn't live up to your expectations. Nintendo hackers are some whiny bitches.
Nintendo removed all legal means of getting their games, beyond the unstable and unpredictable secondhand market. Then to add insult to injury, they released this update to make sure that even pirating their games is met with a brick wall. Nintendo has basically decided that with the 3DS any means of enjoying the 3DS is going to be expensive and even incomplete as much of the content is simply gone now. Being upset that Nintendo would further prevent future enjoyment of the 3DS is a reasonable thing to be upset about. If they aren't going to support the 3DS, that's fine, that's something they can do. But to ensure little to no future enjoyment can be had is rather fucked up for Nintendo. Sure, this is something they are allowed to do but not expecting backlash and telling people they shouldn't be upset is just silly. Nintendo didn't need to be this much of a dick to their users, they aren't getting anything out of this beyond just annoying people. People can be upset with the decisions Nintendo makes without needing to throw their systems away or stop enjoying Nintendo products.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Nicktendonick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very simple. At some point, possibly with Switch 2 (or w/e it ends up being called), they will do VC or ports of 3DS games.

Down the line people will be interested in playing FE: Awakening, Fates, Samus Returns and a lot of other 3DS games, specially those that didn't or couldn't back then, just like with a lot of people getting into Zeldas that were like babies or not even born when the N64 was around.

But they would be able to do so for free by using firmware on an old console. Instead by blocking it, they will market it a selling feature of the new console, with a subscription pass for access, of course.

Only way to play those games is on the used market or custom firmware, none of it gives Nintendo money. Even if it did, why pay $40 to have the game forever when they can make you pay $10 in a monthly subscription for a 8+ year cycle for games they already made years ago?

If this update gets a workaround, they'll simply do another update. Just like the PS3 still does.
You're probably right.
I doubt they'll let the IPs rot forever, most of the games instead of remaking them (as they did with some games) instead they'll do flat ports as VC or a paid subscription service.
I won't deny it's a good business model. I'm not sure if they'll actually pull it off through, because Nintendo doing a Netflix-style VC service should be a slam dunk and make them billions and well, I point to the Switch's online service and "expansion pack" for how they're actually doing.

Sadly Nintendo has every legal right to torch their slam dunks into the ground, but that's not gonna stop me from playing the optimal versions of these classics.

Personally, I'd bet they only have a handful of more updates overall, about every 1-3 years. It's going to work in the modder's favor eventually because Nintendo is gonna need to walk away from their 12 year old system at some point. It's just a eternal game of cat and mouse / modder and hacker until they throw in the towel. It's a fate we've resigned ourselves too, but hey, "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
I'm confident in the abilities of the community here to find a new way around this. You guys are pretty dang awesome.

17hitcombooo

Officer Balls.... BWAAHAHAHAH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

so i guess its gonna be 70 dollars a year for the new nso 2 expansion pack++ with like 4 3ds games to play at launch

Reactions: impeeza

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really - they're not exactly the easiest to find if you don't know where to look, but they're still being made and still pretty cheap (~$10 USD). Current recommended one is the dual-mode Ace3DS X which can be found on aliexpress
$10 is pretty cheap, but some people can't afford as little as $10 for whatever reason they're financially in.

My nephew who's 18 asked me to order a PS3 controller from AliExpress and two weeks later I'm still waiting for him to pay (I thought he'd have it, it's just $10 or he could get a job to pay his expenses while on his spare time).

Reactions: impeeza

AlexKor

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I don’t know about others, but for me 3DS means 3D, this cannot be emulated on a switch. Perhaps the new Nintendo console will have such functionality. But most likely, 3DS will remain the only one for its games. Why close it is not clear to me, it was possible to slowly release 3DS endlessly, there would still be interest in such a number of exclusives ... But perhaps the point is really in the new console, the form factor of which will be similar to 3DS.
I'm talking about, that next console may not be switch2, but 3ds2, then it makes much more sense.

Last edited by AlexKor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yes