Nintendo Switch firmware 16.0.3 released

gkQj6UD.png

In the midst of the recent DMCA claims against Switch homebrew, Nintendo has also been busy working on a firmware update for the Nintendo Switch. System software version 16.0.3 is available to download, bringing only the expected stability. SwitchBrew has created an entry for this new update, while SciresM is yet to confirm if this impacts Atmosphere CFW in any way.

[UPDATE] Atmosphere is indeed impacted by this firmware, do not update until further notice.

:arrow: Source

Yachtmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sounds good
Why did u update? Did u follow any guide?

I will backup my sd card good shout
I updated coz I trust SciresM & CTCaer - if something would be at risk, then they would tell us. And no special guide, update as usual. I use AIO for Atmosphere & Hekate, coz to lazy copy them manually :)

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I updated coz I trust SciresM & CTCaer - if something would be at risk, then they would tell us. And no special guide, update as usual. I use AIO for Atmosphere & Hekate, coz to lazy copy them manually :)
I dont even know what AIO is and whether i got it already lol

Thardus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's fine to update. It was just my first time updating atmosphere so I had a learning curve. Just use your normal update method or use AIO. Or don't! The totk 1.1.0 update worked fine for me on the previous version

Reactions: Yachtmaster

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok here come my woes... I followed this guide here https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/

I updated both hekate and atmosphere worked ok

then I went into my sysMMC and it was running version 14 FM, I then attempted a download via nintendo as it says in the wiki..
now when i boot into SysMMC I get this error:

failed to apply 'nosigchk'
press power to continue vol to main menu
then comes that horrible screen of death error code 2001-0123 0xf601
an error has occured

my

emuMMC is working okay though​

any ideas how to fix the SysMMC?
Post automatically merged:

the latert sig patches have now been copied and it took away the red text screen but the other screen now occurs.

my stock sys is now running v 16.3 btw

I dont really use the Sys MMC but would be better to get it fixed and obviously not sure how I would get my EMUMMC up to date now either

Last edited by Psd99,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ok here come my woes... I followed this guide here https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/

I updated both hekate and atmosphere worked ok

then I went into my sysMMC and it was running version 14 FM, I then attempted a download via nintendo as it says in the wiki..
now when i boot into SysMMC I get this error:

failed to apply 'nosigchk'
press power to continue vol to main menu
then comes that horrible screen of death error code 2001-0123 0xf601
an error has occured

my

emuMMC is working okay though​

any ideas how to fix the SysMMC?

the latert sig patches have now been copied and it took away the red text screen but the other screen now occurs.

my stock sys is now running v 16.3 btw

I dont really use the Sys MMC but would be better to get it fixed and obviously not sure how I would get my EMUMMC up to date now either

Are you trying to boot into sysMMC via Hekate? Can you boot it just by turning on the Switch from an off state?

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you trying to boot into sysMMC via Hekate? Can you boot it just by turning on the Switch from an off state?

Yes to be clear the stock firmware via a normal reboot works ok and it shows v 16.3 in the system settings so it looks like it is up to date.

However, when I try and run sysMMC via hekate it will not work and run into an error screen

Hope it can be fixed
I dont want to continue to try and update the emuMMC as that might also break

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
have you updated your firmware in emuMMC to 16.0.3 ?

No not yet only sysMMC and it did not work

There are steps to go from updating SysMMC to EmuMMC but sys MMC failed

Hope someone can help
this is all for the new zelda
I am very IT linux competent for sure

Yachtmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
well, normally after updating Atmosphere, Hekate & the sig-patches on your SD Card - next should be updating the firmware on your emuMMC.
Updating your Stock - sysMMC is irreversable - once it's done there is no way back coz of the fuse burning crap. Thats why you should update the sysMMC once everything is fine with the update of the emuMMC.

The emuMMC can be easily replaced by sticking another SD Card in (best with a copy you made before updating).

What I would do now is ... make a complete backup of the sdcard (hopefully it's file based - then just copy the complete content into a new folder of your pc) ... once done update your emuMMC to 16.0.3

As long as you have a backup or a clone of your sdcard.... you're save ;)

Last edited by Yachtmaster,
Reactions: Psd99

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes to be clear the stock firmware via a normal reboot works ok and it shows v 16.3 in the system settings so it looks like it is up to date.

However, when I try and run sysMMC via hekate it will not work and run into an error screen

Hope it can be fixed
I dont want to continue to try and update the emuMMC as that might also break

What is "sysMMC" vs Stock? It sounds like you are referring to 3 different firmware locations when there are probably only two. Hekate can boot stock, (which you may have labeled as sysMMC) but I don't take that risk.

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I fixed the issue. :)

note to anyone else it was a folder Edizon/Tesla Overlay folder 420000000007E51A that needed to be deleted
for some reason this folder was causing the error on a reboot.

once that got deleted I was able to boot in properly and everything works and is now running 16.0.3 happy times

btw is there anything else I need to be aware of that doesn't work? I hope mission control does because I use other controllers and will my game card slot work now? I cant actually test it but when I read this wiki https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/ It suggested the gamecard will no longer work as I went from Firmware 14 to 16.0.3

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also I know Zelda needs a certain firmware but are there any other games that need to be on 15+?
Zelda doesn't need FW 15+... Cause I'm on FW 15.0.0 and it's working fine and have it updated to V1.1.0...

I just installed the .XCI version and installed the update on top with tinfoil.

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Zelda doesn't need FW 15+... Cause I'm on FW 15.0.0 and it's working fine and have it updated to V1.1.0...

I just installed the .XCI version and installed the update on top with tinfoil.
sure but firmware version 14 would not work for example
well im on the latest now anyway

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Was it worth poking the bear and see how it would react, just for the sake of playing a game two weeks early? I'll bet new keys are coming right up from Nintendo since Lockpick is DMCA'd. Well, let's see how it develops. I can understand Nintendo getting pissed off

Pirates aren't known for planning ahead..

The "preservation" aspect is valid..

but not 2 weeks *ahead* of release.

I bet future Ninty HW will be unhackable (save for glitchy mod chip installs)

Reactions: Dust2dust

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny