Hacking Nintendo of Japan wins Supreme Court case against flashcart sellers {afaik not posted yet}

Favna

#PCMasterRace
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Found this on facebook which sourced back to Reddit - apparently various flashcart selling companies have been sued in court. Copy pasta from the reddit post (Source: Click Here)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo and 49 other game companies first filed suit against flashcart importers in Japan back in 2009, and the case has been appealed several times since then. (See more details herefor the last court decision.)

According to a Nintendo press release (Translated with google Translate version), on January 12, the Supreme Court denied further appeals on the case. Thus, the import and sale of flashcarts in Japan will remain illegal, and the defendants must also pay nearly 9.6 million yen (~$815,000 USD / €748,000) in damages.

As a result of the first district court case, flashcarts were pronounced illegal in accordance with the Unfair Competition Prevention Act. In 2011, with an amendment to the Act, penal provisions were also added (up to 10 years in jail, or a fine of up to 10 million yen).

So, do you agree or disagree with the decision? What do you think this means for the future of flashcarts in other areas, or even homebrew?

Here are some of the companies that filed suit with Nintendo:
  • Arc System Works
  • Arika
  • SNK Playmore
  • Capcom
  • Koei
  • Jaleco
  • Cyberfront
  • Sega
  • Takara Tomy
  • D3 Publisher
  • Bandai-Namco
  • Hudson Soft
  • Level 5
  • The Pokemon Company
  • Red Entertainment
  • Rocket Company
  • Taito Corporation

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashcards are more often than not associated with piracy. So, go Nintendo. There are other methods of attaining homebrew on systems.
Not on older systems. GBAs, DSs, and most cartridge based consoles don't really have any other way to load software. Granted, for the most part, homebrew isn't that great on those and you'd mostly just use the ROM loading aspect, but still that can be very convenient for those of us that dump our own crap.

As for the topic: I don't really blame them. Yeah, it's a bummer for us as it might mean less options being put out (for a short time), but Nintendo has the legal right and flashcarts tend to be abused.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
arc system works? seriously? when they only developed rubbish games for nintendo? and you can even count all the games they made with your fingers. just in for the money bandwagon, douches.

also, i'm seeing dead companies:
arika
jaleco

kurodax

Trophies
XP
Country
It's just ban in Japan and i don't think any buddy in Japan will give a single care about this, since the among of people using flashcart in Japan is like 1%

Favna

#PCMasterRace
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Funny, I can't connect to Gateway site now :P
Well shit lol! Most likely just pure coincidence but yeah the site is down:

Jiz7DB3.png

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Consoles are moving away from cartridges so flashcarts are on borrowed time anyway.

Look at the 3ds scene -- it's mainly cfw driven. Yes, even GW is just a cfw tied down to an unnecessary dongle.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know why these flashcard companies are being sued? More often than not the websites include links to things such as 'FREE ROM DOWNLOADS' or other indirect links to piracy, which is enough to nail them under Japanese copyright law. Complete idiots running the companies thinking that's a good idea. The only thing flashcarts should be advertised as, is a rom backup device. Beyond that, leave the piracy to a forum that can be shutdown or a pastebin that can be DMCAd or anything that's separate from your website so they can't prove 100% that the seller's intention is piracy. Though that's absolutely what every single person uses it for, it still is very much a 'backup tool'. If you're going to break the law, you need to actually try to not get caught. 0/10 effort from them

It's just ban in Japan and i don't think any buddy in Japan will give a single care about this, since the among of people using flashcart in Japan is like 1%
Though it's unlikely the ban will make it to the United States soon, it's still possible.

arc system works? seriously? when they only developed rubbish games for nintendo? and you can even count all the games they made with your fingers. just in for the money bandwagon, douches.
also, i'm seeing dead companies:
arika
jaleco

If the company is dead but the game is still sold on shelves, where do you think the money goes?

Last edited by DesuIsSparta,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by AmandaRose,

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If "you" was referring to me - I'm only sharing the news from the source I found it on. I didn't do hours of background research to confirm every tidbit of information .. so.. no.

Nah, it was a general 'you'. I know you're just sharing the article. And your information is correct, no real translation issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Megatron "Prime why throw away your life!" Prime "How do I think I got these gold rims!!!"
    Autobots roll some blunts and smoke out!
    Channel 69 news "Last night someone stole several cars and a semi truck loaded with drugs from the police impound lot!"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i'mma @ juan in the joke thread and say "hey juan i call your mom dwayne the way she rock my johnson"
    Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Is GBAtemp being a sluggish turd for anyone else today, or just me..?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, No, works fine.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope your weekend's great. :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    My friend found this the other day. Courtesy of @Kaoid
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Sylveon popping out of a DS lite.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    pretty decent considering
    +1
    just under 2 weeks orso before the new harddrive arrives
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, How's that hard drive recovery project going?
    which one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, You mentioned that you have a new hard drive coming.
    yeh in 2 weeks orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Do you have a NAS storage?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    illmatic
    39 TB server
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Jeezus. 39TB sounds like a significant investment of time.
    meh, more of a I need to add bigger drives all the time
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: meh, more of a I need to add bigger drives all the time