Nintendo wins in UK High Court case demanding that certain Switch piracy related sites be blocked

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Atmosphere won't be blocked... please tell me what grounds Nintendo would have in blocking that.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It'll stop you from getting the CFW in the first place though (unless they start using proxies).

2. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    *Nintendo doesn't block Atmosphere even though they hate homebrew and anything that can open the door to piracy as well*

*Nintendo blocks fan made games even if they are breaking no fair use laws*

IDK.... sounds like quite the "Ground" to me.... XD

3. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You really don't know what you're talking about.

1. Since Atmosphere doesn't enable piracy directly it can't get blocked. Also the homebrew applications (if illegal) doesn't matter in this case also as it doesn't get bundled in directly.

2. Fan games is completely irrelevant to this.

So, I'll ask you again. What grounds does Nintendo have to blocking Atmosphere?

4. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    I think you miss my point. I'm not saying Atmosphere enables piracy.
    It was a joke, but my point was if Nintendo can block Fan games, which is actually not in any way something they should be blocking BUT THEY DO, then I think their "Grounds" is simply protecting their IP.
    Whether it means someone making fan games, fan exploits, fan homebrew, fan modification of their systems...
    So, yes. If you saw my point I think as far as the joke went, it's pretty relevant to push my point.

5. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Except... there's no IP to block here. You're missing my point again.

If Nintendo was truly in their right to block homebrew or CFW itself they would've sent a DMCA takedown notice to the Atmosphere GitHub or that homebrew software GitHub page by now. But notice they haven't because they can't.

So let me ask you for a third time now. What grounds does Nintendo have to blocking Atmosphere?

Last edited by Essasetic, Sep 11, 2019
  6. Forgotten_Email

Forgotten_Email Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Manchester, England
    I understand that however them blocking flashcarts could cause problems once ds carts become uncommon
    I think people are more concerned for what nintendo's next step is, they already nuked rom sites for 5 gen and older games what if they go after older stuff (I know nes games can be found in 2 seconds but you understand my point)

7. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Daily reminder if you support Nintendo by buying their products you support them doing this.

Microsoft, Sony, Stream, etc, etc. Do not waste their time, money or man power on trying to police the internet because they know it can be used better elsewhere.

Last edited by MrCokeacola, Sep 11, 2019
  8. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    That's a good thing. It means that pirates don't get to profit from illegal code and it won't effect the homebrew community at all. So win win?

MrCokeacola likes this.
  9. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    True, nothing wrong with that.

Essasetic likes this.
  10. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    Never said what they were doing was something those being taken to court can't fight back and win on. Just saying they really have no ground. I see you point. And my point is you can't really block Fan games. But they do it and people don't fight back. And if you don't fight back then sure. Anyone can take legal action on you even if it isn't really lawful.
    They aren't really in the right to remove Atmosphere. Just like they aren't really in the right to remove fan games. (Which they do.) along with a lot of other things they really aren't in the right/have the grounds to do but they do it anyway. ._.

11. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    Daily reminder the legal system in the UK is the laughing stock of the rest of the planet
    WARNING: opening this spoiler can literally get you thrown into prison in the UK
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by weatMod, Sep 11, 2019
  12. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ah, Count Dankula the Scottish legend. BBC did a documentary on him recently and it proves how ridiculous and idiotic the media and some of the left wing people truly are.

gamesquest1 and weatMod like this.
  13. brynthomas80

brynthomas80 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    The way things are going the only games people will be buying will be pc games as they will be only games we will be able to edit. The Xbox one doesn't let you copy saves to usb, the switch as removed the exploit from newer models cpu ( with what I understand they flashed the CPU on a hardware level but as it's same CPU with the exploit it might be possible to flash the exploit back into CPU) and PS4 each new firmware they add new save encryption so effects anyone with save wizard or cyber gadget until it's cracked

14. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot professional retard

Oct 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Britian
    I'll just use tor I can access whatever the fuck I want

MrCokeacola likes this.
  15. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Im down wit OPP

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think it’s because tx has a paid device to enable homebrew. Nothing was mentioned about atmosphere.

Also, if 70% of people use VPN, then I guess this will only effect 30%.

NoNAND likes this.
  16. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I do! :)

HRudyPlayZ likes this.