Nintendo wins in UK High Court case demanding that certain Switch piracy related sites be blocked

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 10, 2019.

1. CPG

CPG it da spoopy month now

GBAtemp Patron
    CPG is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 9, 2016
    Canada
    GBATemp why are you letting us write anything here
    tfw you have a VPN so you don't really give a crap about this

2. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    The best thing about living in third world country is no one give a shit about piracy.

3. KirovAir

KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Dec 7, 2006
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    Thank you for a sensible reply in this thread.

4. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    as every country SHOULD BE! seriously im like DO YOU WANT YOUR MONEY OR NOT?? XD

HRudyPlayZ and NoNAND like this.
  5. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Silencing... Innocent sites?
    you know, giving tools for piracy, or supporting piracy out right isn't exactly Innocent. Do I agree with the notion it shouldn't be blocked? Yes. But Innocent?! Yeah no.

6. morvoran

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Drinking leftist tears...Yummy!
    So you don't think GBAtemp is innocent when it comes to piracy? This site doesn't contain pirated software, but it also doesn't exactly forbid piracy, or tools for piracy, all together.

7. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    If it's SX, then I'm good with it

8. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    It's funny because, the amount of money that companies like Nintendo allegedly lose from piracy, is far less than the amount of money they spend pursuing these lawsuits.

9. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Let me just say this. Nothing is black or white, it's shades of grey, and either that grey is darker or lighter. It's like the same face of a coin split into two. With the other face just a bit darker than other providing light light, light dark, dark light, and dark dark. Gbatemp is more on the light dark side, or the face of the coin that receives light, but has questionable things. With SX OS and pieces of Nintendo's code is more of a dark light than gbatemps light dark, but does not follow into the pure dark dark scheme. Not something that should absolutely be removed but is non the less morally incorrect to a degree.
    To clarify,
    light light means always good most of the time.
    light dark means that it's good but rather questionable at times.
    dark light means it's bad or goes against morals, but is not something people should never do or consider dependent on the situation/reasons(if you get lost on the double negative. I'm saying people should consider it as option under the right circumstances. Or should follow. Hacking and modding is a this grey area (not allowing piracy specifically, just in general))
    dark dark is things that are completely awful in all ways socially morally and law and no situation would ever change it.
    Course this is subjective, not objective.
    Your likely asking why the distinction between gbatemp and SX OS. My answer is diversity to that.
    SX OS primary goal is piracy, it sells and banks itself off of piracy.
    While gbatemp definitely can provide tools for such things, it also provides news, homebrew, game discussions. And many other things that out weigh the darker shades the site would have if it was elusively hacking or piracy focused.
    So do I think gbatemp is Innocent?
    Not entirely, but not to blame. Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Sep 11, 2019
  10. Eleczoro

Eleczoro Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2017
    United States
    Thanks tories

11. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I know you made a joke. And of course it's true.. if Nvidia was more stable it wouldn't have happened this fast :P

Gbatemp however do not host said material. Piracy tools itself aren't illegal, but the usage of them is. It's a reason why we are a bit fast on pulling the gun on what might be considered copyright/illegal since it's a gray area in some places. We wish to keep the site active both for us but for you as well.

Plus this website doesn't earn money. Last time I spoke about economy with @Costello. More or less 100% of all ads and patreon keeps the site up and running. Not one single person have the site as their mainjob but it's just a hobby.

Last edited by linuxares, Sep 11, 2019
    monkeyman4412 likes this.
  12. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Eh, SX has pretty much always marketed itself as a piracy device.

13. Inaurata_Sharps

Inaurata_Sharps Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2019
    United States
    Typically, lawsuits like this are more about making the person you're suing go bankrupt from legal fees, more so than fighting for actual legislation or compensation. Nintendo can afford lawyers, but a considerably smaller entity like TX might not be able to, at least not for the entirety of a suit that can take literal years to come to a conclusion. Their hope is probably more that TX will have to double their prices to make their money back, thereby discouraging future customers, than the very minor hit their site traffic will take from having it banned in one country. Or just drain them completely so they can't afford manufacturing or hosting anymore.

Sinon likes this.
  14. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    And what gain will this have when all they have to do is register under a new name.

15. robbros

robbros Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2015
    Italy
    sx.xecuter.com is already blocked in italy. it's been months.

16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You haven't immediately disqualified default DNS servers back in the mid 2000s when pretty much all italian ones started redirecting nonexisting domains to ads? :)

17. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    Nintendo, fuck you and your lawsuits.

18. robbros

robbros Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2015
    Italy
    no I've never thought of that actually, i only did it on consoles to prevent updates etc. which DNS do you recommend and what does it change?

19. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    (off topic)
    All the 3 major 3rd party ones (google, cloudflare, opendns) are good for avoiding national censorship (and the first 2 I mentioned never considered redirecting not-found results, which would be a flagrant violation of the expected output of a DNS query)
    On mobile (you usually need root to change nameservers for wwan on most phone OSes) it also means you don't have access to those premium webpages only possible with the operator's collusion you never asked for :D

robbros likes this.
  20. Essometer

Essometer Needs data

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Bielefeld
    Sure, “Homebrew”.