Nintendo wins in UK High Court case demanding that certain Switch piracy related sites be blocked

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 10, 2019.

Front-page
    nintendo-switch-logo-38D4F5C7E7-seeklogo.com.

Nintendo has just won a court case in the UK, in which certain internet service providers must restrict users from accessing certain webpages related to pirating content for the Switch. The case, which took place in the England and Wales High Court, requires that Sky UK, British Telecommmunications, EE Limited, TalkTalk, and Virgin Media must all impede or block access to a set of specific websites that give information on how to illegally obtain games, or give instructions on how to modify Switch hardware in order to play said games. The four websites are as follows:

• team-xecuter.com
    • sx.xecuter.com
    • sxflashcart.com (R4)
    • xecuteros.com / stargate3ds.org (Stargate)
    As it stands, the court case and eventual site-blocking in the UK only refers to those sites, and those of which all have a common link of hosting Team Xecuter/SX content. For those worried, GBAtemp is not involved with this, and will not have users' access blocked, nor do we expect any issue as a result of this ruling. The court case in full can be seen in the source, with certain relevant pieces quoted for easy reading.

Additionally, the UKIE, the Associating of UK Interactive Entertainment, agreed with the ruling and had this to say on the matter:

:arrow: Source

Red771, damiano2712, cyn and 14 others like this.
    Discussion (135 replies)
  1. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    When you win a court case to block websites. But then remember that 70% of people use VPN anyway.

Sterophonick, entsd, Messael and 40 others like this.
  2. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Nintendo, I hate you for protecting your property.

3. HRudyPlayZ

HRudyPlayZ GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2016
    France
    Glad to live in France...

Guys, use a VPN...

F**k Nintendo for doing everything to screw homebrews...

4. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    yeah the whole thing seems kinda silly. That money spent on court could have been spent on stability

Sterophonick, entsd, Pluupy and 32 others like this.
  5. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    **Sarcasm doesn't apply if the property is 20+ years old or hardly obtainable/unobtainable through legal/official ways.

6. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Honestly, don't really care about this, Nintendo has every right to do it, but I'm really not comfortable with the idea of having a court decision about blocking websites, is it a first in the UK? Because monitoring people is one thing, but choosing what they can access or not is another.

7. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    those were R4 ds flashcards, they are for ds games they arent for n64 games lol, they dont have 20 years. you can easily find used ds games everywhere and the 3ds still native plays ds cards...

8. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    well with Article 13 and all that shit, anything is possible now.

9. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    The UK has a long history of blocking access to specific websites

10. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Laughs in VPN

11. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Well... Morally speaking, I totally understand why someone would want to block dangerous / illegal websites. But like every thing, where's the limit? Should we also block websites about chemistry because one could harm with this knowledge? Is it ok to block websites selling knifes because you can kill someone?

12. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The other plane of existence
    took them long enough.
    but why does everything seem to befall poor TX.

Reynardine and ParzivalWolfram like this.
  13. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    It's so adorable kids still use the homebrew excuse. Homebrew is basically dead these days. 99% of people just use it for piracy. You're actually braindead if you're too stupid to understand why a company would wish to slow down piracy for their flagship device.
    Oh nooo Nintendo why are you protecting your IPs from people who wish to steal it?!

Do me a favour, leave your front door unlocked so I can come use some homebrew in your house (and leave with all the valuables of course). Apparently you think that's fine and dandy.

CPG, WiikeyHacker, Dartz150 and 16 others like this.
  14. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    well in my country the internet providers block almost all movie streaming websites you need to use vpn or search for new ones.

NoNAND likes this.
  15. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The other plane of existence
    In my country, well I'd say it's a haven for every pirate, as ISPs don't give a damn about what you do, so long as you pay the bills.

16. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    homebrew =/= piracy

Homebrew can enable piracy, but homebrew is not piracy.

17. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    well in my country the biggest internet providers also provide cable and streaming subscription themselves so it makes sence to block them for them xD.

18. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    I'm surprised this is only just now happening.

I wonder if they plan to pursue the eventual mirror sites or leave it at this. :unsure:

NoNAND likes this.
  19. HRudyPlayZ

HRudyPlayZ GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2016
    France
    - Homebrews are still a thing, i mean it's the main motivation of 99% of the hackers and exploit researchers in the scenes. Also, take a look at the Vita scene, homebrew Unity / other engines games are made regularly...

- Of course, a lot of people will use it for piracy but keep in mind that Homebrew =/= to piracy... Also some people just like to play on alternative servers, use mods, use great plugins or kips to make their console better, overclock...

- Yep, this is normal for Nintendo wanting to block piracy, but they're certainly protecting too much their IPs: Removing fangames (which btw should fall under fair use in most circumstances), not letting homebrew developpers...

- Ok, do some homebrews, but i will stay here to make sure you don't do anything wrong...

20. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    Congrats for winning! Happy that some developers do something for their devices.