Hacking NORwegian Teensy PS3 NAND/NOR Downgraders (Socket, Clip, and Ultimate)

Zeigren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been working on a couple of custom boards to aid in PS3 downgrading.

So far I've made the NORwegian Teensy Socket Edition, which I made a GitHub wiki for if you're interested in more info about it https://github.com/Zeigren/NORwegianTeensy/wiki/NORwegian-Teensy-Socket-Edition

Y73uqSJ.jpg

Essentially it makes it easier to downgrade both NAND and NOR PS3s. Just desolder the NAND or NOR, plop it in the matching socket, and use the Teensy++ 2.0 with NANDway or NORway to downgrade.

I'm also working on a Ultimate and a Clip Edition. The Ultimate Edition has the two sockets and supports four different clip styles: NOR E3 Flasher Clip, NOR 360 Uni Clip, NAND 360 Uni Clip, and NAND 32pin 360 clip. It has also been designed so it can be powered using a microUSB cable with a 2 Amp phone charger.

The Clip Edition is the same as the Ultimate Edition, but without the two sockets.

I have the schematics for those all set I'm just working on doing the actual board layouts. I'm trying to see if I can get away with using a two layer PCB for the Clip Edition, but I for sure am going to have to use a four layer for the Ultimate. There are just way too many signal traces.

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So far I've made the NORwegian Teensy Socket Edition, which I made a GitHub wiki for if you're interested in more info about it https://github.com/Zeigren/NORwegianTeensy/wiki/NORwegian-Teensy-Socket-Edition

Y73uqSJ.jpg

Essentially it makes it easier to downgrade both NAND and NOR PS3s. Just desolder the NAND or NOR, plop it in the matching socket, and use the Teensy++ 2.0 with NANDway or NORway to downgrade.

I'm also working on a Ultimate and a Clip Edition. The Ultimate Edition has the two sockets and supports four different clip styles: NOR E3 Flasher Clip, NOR 360 Uni Clip, NAND 360 Uni Clip, and NAND 32pin 360 clip. It has also been designed so it can be powered using a microUSB cable with a 2 Amp phone charger.

The Clip Edition is the same as the Ultimate Edition, but without the two sockets.

I have the schematics for those all set I'm just working on doing the actual board layouts. I'm trying to see if I can get away with using a two layer PCB for the Clip Edition, but I for sure am going to have to use a four layer for the Ultimate. There are just way too many signal traces.

Looks nice. If I didn’t already own an E3 then I would have bought this. However, you mention desoldering the nand / nor? Do you mean on your board or the PS3 motherboard?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Y73uqSJ.jpg

So it's not actually made by a Norwegian? I am disappointed :(

Zeigren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm kind of late to the game with this. On the PS3 motherboard.

Unfortunately no, I'm not a Norwegian :P I have Norwegian ancestors but they would have been like my great-great-great grandparents lol

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It certainly looks very sweet, however I don't think you'd get much movement from it as desoldering the NAND isn't something that a lot of people do.
Only the hardcore modders who have plenty of experience with it will do it.

Still, it is a very neat solution!
One which also could be used to swap out chips with a lot of bad blocks.

Zeigren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty much why I'm going to make the clip edition, that and I'm having fun designing these boards :P

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Looks super interesting ! I gave up on the PS3 scene, and haven't touched my PS3 for years now. I would definitely buy one if you manage to do the clip version !

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's pretty much why I'm going to make the clip edition, that and I'm having fun designing these boards :P

You should design something that'll easily lift off the IHS of the CPU and GPU.
It would save a lot of PS3's from a early YLOD and possible death.

Zeigren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should design something that'll easily lift off the IHS of the CPU and GPU.
It would save a lot of PS3's from a early YLOD and possible death.
I know they have delidders for regular PC CPUs. Maybe those could be used/modified. I technically could design and make one but I have zero experience actual getting something like that made and I don't own any equipment to churn that stuff out on my own.

EDIT: Just ordered the clip edition boards! They're quite a bit more complex then my socket edition boards so hopefully everything works on them the first time lol. I added a little surprise to the board that I think everyone will like :P

Last edited by Zeigren,
Reactions: DinohScene

Zeigren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2dy8GPCl.jpg

Here it is!

The NORwegian Teensy Clip Edition!

It can:
READ/WRITE NANDs WITH THE E3 NOR CLIP
READ/WRITE NORs WITH THE E3 NOR CLIP
Read/write NANDs with the 360 clip (32 pin)
Read/write NANDs with the NAND UNI Clip (48 pin)
Read/write NANDs with the NOR UNI Clip (56 pin)
Read/write NORs with the NOR UNI Clip (56 pin)
Can be powered over microUSB with a 2 amp phone charger, no external power supply needed

Instead of using GitHub wiki I moved everything over to GitHub pages
https://zeigren.github.io/
Which contains more info about both boards, and is where I'll post further stuff I'm working on (I'll post here too)
BUT ALSO
I made a guide on how to use both boards. It's a work in progress, but it's mostly there.
Even though it's geared towards my boards a bunch of it is useful for anyone downgrading, especially using a Teensy.

Last edited by Zeigren,

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2dy8GPCl.jpg

Here it is!

The NORwegian Teensy Clip Edition!

It can:
READ/WRITE NANDs WITH THE E3 NOR CLIP
READ/WRITE NORs WITH THE E3 NOR CLIP
Read/write NANDs with the 360 clip (32 pin)
Read/write NANDs with the NAND UNI Clip (48 pin)
Read/write NANDs with the NOR UNI Clip (56 pin)
Read/write NORs with the NOR UNI Clip (56 pin)
Can be powered over microUSB with a 2 amp phone charger, no external power supply needed

Instead of using GitHub wiki I moved everything over to GitHub pages
https://zeigren.github.io/
Which contains more info about both boards, and is where I'll post further stuff I'm working on (I'll post here too)
BUT ALSO
I made a guide on how to use both boards. It's a work in progress, but it's mostly there.
Even though it's geared towards my boards a bunch of it is useful for anyone downgrading, especially using a Teensy.

Nice, price?

Zeigren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this isn't super relevant for PS3s anymore but since I still get emails about them here's a bit of an update on my NORwegian boards. I stopped working on my NORwegian boards and other solutions, and instead have made a bunch of clip adapters for the FlashcatUSB xPort. Which completely replaces what I was working on before.

eUGsHkim.jpg

It makes more sense to just make these for the xPort since it has better software support, works with 100's of different flashes, and has almost 3x faster transfer speeds along with a bunch of other useful features. All while still being about the same price as a Teensy++ 2.0. This way these clip adapters can easily be used for much more than just dumping and flashing PS3 NANDs/NORs.

5nj5DZ7m.jpg

I made a matching clip adapter for each of the TSOP48/TSOP56 NAND/NOR parallel socket adapters that they currently sell, with some extras for supporting different clip styles along with a probably overkill power supply to sit on top of everything #stacked. Instead of reiterating everything here you can just check out my website for more info.

Reactions: ricktendo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...