Nintendo is trying to force Discord to reveal the name of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom artbook leaker

asdasdasklfor.png

In February, a massive surprise hit the internet when a leaker managed to secure and upload the collector's edition artbook of the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Over 200 pages of content involving the highly anticipated Breath of the Wild sequel were available to browse, months ahead of the game's scheduled May 12th release date. That same day, Nintendo sent out DMCA takedowns to Discord, where the leak had originated from--specifically, a server called Tears of the Kingdom Official Discord Server, which was very much unofficial.

That wasn't the end of things; Nintendo has gone on to take things to court. On April 7th, Nintendo of America filed for a DMCA subpoena, targeting the artbook leaker. They've narrowed down the account name of the person behind it all, but are seeking a court order that would require Discord to give Nintendo the real name, home address, telephone, and email address of the user.

NOA is requesting the attached proposed subpoena that would order Discord Inc. (“Discord”) to disclose the identity, including the name(s), address(es), telephone number(s), and e-mail addresses(es) of the user Julien#2743, who is responsible for posting infringing content that appeared at the following channel Discord channel Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. The purpose for which this subpoena is sought is to obtain the identity of the Discord user Julien#2743, who posted infringing content that appeared on the Infringing Channel.​

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just woke up after having a nightmare about Nintendo. I dreamed that I was selected by Nintendo to host a Super Mario movie party for the premiere. two representatives from Nintendo arrived at my house, and they went up to my room to setup. unfortunately, they discovered tons of discs with pirated materials pertaining to the gamecube, wii, etc., so they threatened to sue me till I had nothing. I pleaded with them, even offering to show them my 200+, digital games I had on the switch (these were legit)! however, they refused to listen. from then on, whenever I would try to play a game, I'd get a black screen, and of course there was still that lawsuit thing. I tried to hold the representatives hostage, but they refused to undo what had been done or to drop the ensuing lawsuit. I awoke very frightened. :(

Sundree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't care about about having a horrible reputation because they know that all of the long-time consumers will do PR and damage control for them. It happens every time.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@godreborn... Nintendo anxiety dreams?? They'll market that.....

I for one tho will not be buying Tears of the kingdom game or book now that I saw a few pics on the net.

... Is that how it works??

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just woke up after having a nightmare about Nintendo. I dreamed that I was selected by Nintendo to host a Super Mario movie party for the premiere. two representatives from Nintendo arrived at my house, and they went up to my room to setup. unfortunately, they discovered tons of discs with pirated materials pertaining to the gamecube, wii, etc., so they threatened to sue me till I had nothing. I pleaded with them, even offering to show them my 200+, digital games I had on the switch (these were legit)! however, they refused to listen. from then on, whenever I would try to play a game, I'd get a black screen, and of course there was still that lawsuit thing. I tried to hold the representatives hostage, but they refused to undo what had been done or to drop the ensuing lawsuit. I awoke very frightened. :(
-insert Arson dream joke here-

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
not to this extent. every week is another lawsuit or Nintendo trying to strong arm some entity.
Somebody doesn’t remember the Tetris debacle, or when Nintendo sued Blockbuster over renting video games (comparing it to r*pe, by the way. No joke), or when they sued Game Genie because they thought cheat codes would hurt their bottom line (those help hotlines weren’t cheap), or when they got slapped with a fine for price fixing, not once (1991), but twice (2002)! They’re not a friendly mom and pop shop, they’ve always been cutthroat. :lol:

Acetonide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt too many people will see this but Discord logs everything including all of your messages.
Even if you told someone in a private DM some personal identifying information, they have it logged in their servers.
They don't actually delete stuff either even at request (unless you live in a country where their laws enforce it) but instead they just scrub the account data from the logged messages. The messages still stay on their servers.

They have some pretty shifty practices so it's best not to say anything personal on it to anyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...