Nintendo Forecasting 17.76 Million Switches by March 3rd 2018

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Nintendo expects to have shipped 17.76 million Switch units by March 3rd 2018, on the console-handheld-hybrid's 1st birthday. [prebreak]1[/prebreak]

Currently, the global Switch hardware sales sit at 14.86 million units, with software sales at 52.57 million units.

Capture.PNG

"For the nine months ended December 31, 2017, the Nintendo Switch hardware sold well following the launch and sales volume rose substantially during the holiday season. For the Nintendo Switch software, SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY was released in October and has been a big hit, with global sales reaching 9.07 million units. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, released in April, has sold 7.33 million units, and Splatoon 2, released in July, has sold 4.91 million units, bringing to 8 the total number of million-seller titles for this fiscal year including the titles of other software publishers. The result is that hardware sales during this period totalled 12.13 million units, and software sales volume totalled 47.10 million units."

Very impressive for such a short time on the market, but can Nintendo really shift another 3 million units in just 2 months?

:arrow:Nintendo Sales
:arrow:Nintendo Switch Financials PDF

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's insane. Back towards September I thought they were nuts for predicting 14 million sold by March, but here we are with over 14 million sold in 2017 alone. Will it outsell the PS2 or Wii like people are predicting? I highly doubt it. I definitely think it will easily break at least 50 million in lifetime sales though.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's insane. Back towards September I thought they were nuts for predicting 14 million sold by March, but here we are with over 14 million sold in 2017 alone. Will it outsell the PS2 or Wii like people are predicting? I highly doubt it. I definitely think it will easily break at least 50 million in lifetime sales though.
like I said a bit ago, the switch is out pacing wii and ps2 so far iirc

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like I said a bit ago, the switch is out pacing wii and ps2 so far iirc
A) I've been a pessimist with switch sales in the past
B) My big concern is this: can it keep up that pace in sales and amazing game releases in 2018? 2017 was insane. A new zelda and Mario in the same year? and as icing on the cake we got mario kart (sure it was a port, but lots of people didn't get to play 8 and love mario kart, such as myself), Splatoon, mario vs. rabbids, etc. I really hope they can keep up the pace and attract new customers (like they're trying to do with labo), but they'll have to announce some heavy hitters soon if they want to keep this going. Yoshi and Kirby aren't gonna be a system seller for people. However, people will go nuts for a new pokemon game and buy switches like madmen if it somehow managed to release late this year (which I doubt, I'm still going to stick to early 2019 or later for it). Hopefully Nintendo has a direct in February and March highlighting what will be happening through the end of summer, then announce fall and end of the year stuff at e3.

Reactions: RiseKuji16

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
not so bloody fast to judge others, kid, many people as me are historical Nintendo's supporter and we bought Wiiu knowing that's a unsuccessful console, since we are also a wiiu owner it's obvious that we are disappointed that Switch will get more PORTINGS(see bayonetta, Mario kart 8 and co.) instead brand new games. you are one of those people who pay more attentions to the sales, honestly... no one cares.

u are still and u'll always be poor console peasant. take a look at my PC spec here: work harder and maybe one day you can afford it too. U obese states's pizzatacos eater.
Bayonetta 3, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Tennis, and much more slated for this year and next. It takes time to build the library. Not all consoles start off with 20 AAA exclusives.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not so bloody fast to judge others, kid, many people as me are historical Nintendo's supporter and we bought Wiiu knowing that's a unsuccessful console, since we are also a wiiu owner it's obvious that we are disappointed that Switch will get more PORTINGS(see bayonetta, Mario kart 8 and co.) instead brand new games. you are one of those people who pay more attentions to the sales, honestly... no one cares.

u are still and u'll always be poor console peasant. take a look at my PC spec here: work harder and maybe one day you can afford it too. U obese states's pizzatacos eater.
I'm a Wii U owner and while I see why you're disappointed with all the ports, keep in mind
1. They're cheap for Nintendo to make relative to new games
2. Bring sales to the console which incentives more new first and third party games
3. Are portable. I'm rebuying bayo 1 and 2, cave story and dark souls on switch for portability
Also as someone with a ps4 who didn't get a ps3 till like 3 months ago, having the ability to play all the ps4s ps3 ports was really nice as I missed out in uncharted, journey, the last of us and god of war when they were new.

Reactions: Jonna and jpx86

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What made this system much more successful than its successors? Is it because it has tv output and portable capabilities? The games? What is it?

Also, why does everyone hate the wii u and think it was completely unsuccessful? People keep hating on the wii u everywhere and I don't see why. Wasn't breath of the wild released for the wii u before it was released on the switch too? Interestingly, I didn't even know BOTW existed until the switch came out. I thought it was a switch exclusive game. Mass confusion over here.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What made this system much more successful than its successors? Is it because it has tv output and portable capabilities? The games? What is it?

Also, why does everyone hate the wii u and think it was completely unsuccessful? People keep hating on the wii u everywhere and I don't see why. Wasn't breath of the wild released for the wii u before it was released on the switch too? Interestingly, I didn't even know BOTW existed until the switch came out. I thought it was a switch exclusive game. Mass confusion over here.
The Wii U was terrible. From hardware design to marketing. It was doomed from the start.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think it's success is a combination of the portability, having 2 exclusive giants right on launch, and nintendos assurance there is a lot of 3rd party support. As for Wii u hate, it's mostly from people who haven't played any of it's numerous great exclusives, or spec whores. And no Zelda was a simultaneous release.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't understand why though.
I disagree it was terrible from a hardware standpoint, it was in between ps3 and ps4 in terms of power and was the strongest system available at the time it came out. If it came out after the ps4 that would be one thing, but it's forgivable since it launched a good bit before Xbox and ps4. As for marketing, they did a horrible job explaining what it even is. A lot of people thought it was a tablet add-on to the wii. The name was bad and it looked exactly like a wii. They didn't show why people should buy it. It also launched with next to nothing. Mario 3d world didn't come out for about a year, smash for a few, and a new Zelda didn't come until 2017. Only major game it launched with was Mario u, which wasn't going to be a system seller.

Reactions: placebooooo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why though.
The marketing was non existent. So, when people saw it, they saw one of two things:

A toy aimed at children, that had no place in a competitive console market.

An add-on to the Wii. I'm not sure how anyone saw it this way, but apparently they did.

The hardware was objectively inferior in just about every way. From the recycled CPU to the controllers. This console marked the 2nd generation to use the CPU from the GameCube. The 1st was the Wii. So, it was drastically underpowered right out of the gate. Which is fine, as that's what Nintendo does.

The controller layout was so weird for a lot of gamers. The two sticks on top? It's like a reverse Playstation controller. No analog triggers, which they've kept with for a while now. Not entirely a negative, but some didn't like it.

The tablet was the worst offender. The dual screen gimmick was fine, but it wasn't implemented properly and only so few games took advantage of it. Others just used it as a mirror. The battery life sucked. The plastic made it so easy to damage and scratch. It reminded me of a leap pad system.

In all honesty, the console itself wasn't an issue. It was fine given Nintendo's standards. It was what surrounded it that killed it. Also, the name was terrible. Wii U? At first I thought it meant Wii University.. Like an educational course on how to use the Wii...

Last edited by Kioku,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by the_randomizer,

Proust

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Am I the only one who had the guts to sell his Switch because of a lack of ‘new’ games on it (after December)? And next weeks and months don’t look that promising either... let it be E3 fast! I might jump on the bandwagon again.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who had the guts to sell his Switch because of a lack of ‘new’ games on it (after December)? And next weeks and months don’t look that promising either... let it be E3 fast! I might jump on the bandwagon again.
Do what you gotta do. I sold my first Switch because of that. It haunted me... Oo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf