Nintendo DSi Shop & Wii Shop Channel quietly pulled offline, with no ability to redownload titles

20220316_224035.jpg

If Nintendo announcing the discontinuation of the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U wasn't bad enough, strap yourselves in. Around 10:00pm CST, with no prior announcement, both the DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channels were quietly pulled offline, leaving previously downloaded purchases and titles unable to be redownloaded, showing error codes 290502 and 209601 for both systems respectively. Nintendo's CDN, which is the download server that houses all of the update and shop data, remains to be active with the ability to download titles with tools such as NUSDownloader, showing that only the frontend of the stores have suddenly disappeared. Nintendo's status page still lists that everything is operational, though it's currently unknown if this was a mistake like last year's eShop incident, or if this really is the end of an era.

:arrow: Source

[6-7-2022 Update]
Both shops are back online. See this post for more information.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Being able to trade games on Steam or resell them for Steam wallet funds would be so cool. And it should totally be possible. It's not like Steam games are DRM-free. Even just the ability to gift out a game you've already bought but no longer play would be cool.
Well apart from any physical PC game that was bought with a code in a box. Valve are guilty of this with their Half-Life 1 Anthology and Orange Box.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will happen with literally every PlayStation console. They all have a DRM flaw where if the CMOS battery dies after PSN goes down you can't play anything, including physical games.
I thought that was fixed (on the ps4 at least on 9.00 (even though goldhen did it first :rofl2:), btw what makes you think it was unintentional maybe it's a very bad bussiness decision to force the fanboys to upgrade (normal people wouldn't fall for it but some fanboy's annd girls are too stupid to not be screwed ad still defend them

Last edited by chrisrlink,

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an outrage, I was literally just about to dig up my Wii and redownload Kirby's Adventure for the first time in 10 years. Guess I will do the thing I clearly already know how to do and likely already was doing anyway. But this time I'm doing it in protest! Heh, yeah, I'm something of a badass rebel.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername,
Reactions: Aerocool

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that was fixed (on the ps4 at least on 9.00 (even though goldhen did it first :rofl2:), btw what makes you think it was unintentional maybe it's a very bad bussiness decision to force the fanboys to upgrade (normal people wouldn't fall for it but some fanboy's annd girls are too stupid to not be screwed ad still defend them
Oh I think it's absolutely intentional since it's supposed to affect all consoles since the PS3, the only reason they delayed the PS3/Vita PSN closure is because people found out about the bug, if not they probably would've shut PSN down. Not sure whether it's been fixed, since I haven't used my PS4 in ages to keep it on an exploitable firmware.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest Nintendo issue for me is being locked out of Mario Kart online unless I sign up, pay a fee etc. Can't get with that on a Nintendo console, it's just not the Nintendo way to lock people out and not include everyone out of the box. The Nintendo quality seal means very little, basically nothing that this point.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wow, that's bad if true. Could there be a way to, theoretically, swap out the battery while keeping the motherboard powered so that any data wouldn't be lost?
It can be done, people are doing it with oldschool GB/C and S/NES games to keep their save data while replacing the battery. GB/C games are often done with the game plugged in and powered on, not sure about S/NES but the same can probably be done there.

It's possible you might be able to do the same with Playstation, from what I can tell they use sockets for the battery so you don't even have to be soldering on a hot board. Just be careful not to short anything while you're in there lol.

You might be able to connect an external power supply to keep things powered while you remove the battery, I'd be careful with that though because there would be a short period of time during which the power supply and battery are both sending voltage through the lines at once which I'd imagine could potentially damage something if the components aren't meant to handle double the voltage.

(e: actually I'm not sure it would double the voltage, as the battery and power supply wouldn't be in series 🤔 you'd get double the current instead, which can also be bad.)

Last edited by Takokeshi,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know why people are sad. It is like you moved to new apartment and you are paying for the old and new apartments every month.

You don't even have friends to visit you nor have affair with you.
Wrong.
This is like you've BOUGHT a home and rented a nicer appartment afterwards for some time.
Then when you want to visit your property again, someone else has moved in, changed the locks and won't let you enter.

Reactions: chrisrlink

MirorB_Sees_All

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have there been NO reports of someone calling Nintendo Support since this was originally posted? Read through the whole thread and I have only seen one mention of someone calling Nintendo Support and no one mentioning emailing their customer support to ask them what is going on. Maybe emails can be ignored (still better than nothing), but I don't see how they could ignore a call?

I have at least seen some news outlets saying they reached out to Nintendo for comment, but they can ignore that, too.

Maybe some of us should call Nintendo Support and add responses to here.

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have there been NO reports of someone calling Nintendo Support since this was originally posted? Read through the whole thread and I have only seen one mention of someone calling Nintendo Support and no one mentioning emailing their customer support to ask them what is going on. Maybe emails can be ignored (still better than nothing), but I don't see how they could ignore a call?

I have at least seen some news outlets saying they reached out to Nintendo for comment, but they can ignore that, too.

Maybe some of us should call Nintendo Support and add responses to here.
I tried but they need to know what game it's for and some other non-specific questions I can't remember. Would be good if I knew their email address.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo