Nintendo is shutting down the Wii U and 3DS eShop in March 2023

41NGofA8vOL._SX425_.jpg

It's the end of an era, as both the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS will be moving on to that great end-of-life cloud in the sky. Nintendo has put out a warning that they'll be winding down support both the eShop on both platforms. Starting May 23 of this year, credit cards will no longer be able to be used to add funds to the 3DS or Wii U eShop, with support for physical eShop cards going away on August 29th. Digital download codes will still work and will be redeemable until the final plug is pulled in March 2023.

As of late March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases in Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. It will also no longer be possible to download free content, including game demos. Furthermore, as this date draws closer, related services will cease to function:

• As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
  • As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023.
Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until late March 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

In an FAQ released alongside the announcement, Nintendo clarified that this will not affect online play, and users will still be able to redownload games they have previously purchased.

If someone visits Nintendo eShop and wants to download something on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family systems after late March 2023, what will they able to do?

• On both platforms, users will still be able to:
    • Redownload content they own.
    • Download existing software updates.
  • On both platforms, users will not be able to:
    • Purchase any content:
      • On Nintendo 3DS, this includes paid content, plays and passes in software such as StreetPass Mii Plaza, Theme Shop, Nintendo Badge Arcade and Pokémon Bank.
      • On Wii U, this includes passes in software such as Wii Sports Club.
    • Download demos.
    • Download free-to-start software.
    • Redeem a download code.
    • Add funds to their Nintendo eShop balance.
  • On Nintendo 3DS family systems, users will still be able to:
    • Download a small number of free themes from Theme Shop.

Nintendo released the 3DS in March 2011, with multiple revisions to the handheld released throughout its lifetime. The Wii U came out in November 2012, and had a short life, being officially discontinued after the launch of the more successful Switch in 2017. The Virtual Console service was well known on either system, where classic games were sold individually, ranging from decades of Nintendo history. Nintendo chose to mention that they currently have no plans to continue the Virtual Console line, and will be focusing support on the Nintendo Switch Online classic library.

:arrow: Source

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ngl that felt quick af. 3DS was super hot in December 2016 and December 2017. FreeShop was the shiiiiiiiiet. Tbh 3DS was still hot until covid started in 2020.

Either way, the console was hacked to bits, and Ninty just doesn't give af anymore bc running the servers costs them money while they know every console out there can easily be jailbroken and the roms can easily be downloaded. They're giving us the green light at this point.

Reactions: bonkmaykr

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's why I never buy any games from eShop on my New/Old Nintendo 3DS XL system. I don't feel safe when buy digital games and company shut down servers in near future like what news release about this now. Lesson learned and we must avoid digital stores now and in the future.

All digital are screw up so bad. Avoid buy digital games online that's why. If what happen to internet get broke down anytime would cause a lot of problems.

All physical copy of games (non-digital) are not affect and would last forever than digital.

Very sad news. :(

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't able to respond to this post for a handful of days as I tried to come up with a post to make, because this is a pretty complicated subject with a lot of possible takes.

I'll just leave it at this: Nintendo has the money and the customers to keep this store open, and yet they choose not to. But when we pirate their old games that aren't being sold anymore and that are effectively abandonware, suddenly we're hurting their profits? Nintendo, you are doing this to yourself! Make your games readily accessible in a desireable form or people will keep pirating them. This isn't a problem DRM or anti-homebrew is ever going to solve, Nintendo needs to respect their customers.

I understand that the 3DS and Wii U have been on their way out for a long time, and are both a decade old, but still.

Do you need to connect to their online services to format the 3DS?
If so, Rip even getting a 2nd hand 3DS after March 2023.
AFAIK They aren't closing the eShop's CDN for a good while afterward, as it's needed for redownloading.

Bean_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you need to connect to their online services to format the 3DS?
If so, Rip even getting a 2nd hand 3DS after March 2023.
Yes. The thing is, I don't know if it actually does something or if it's just a check to authorize the format. If it's the latter, I guess it could be simulated in some way. Or they could release an final system update that adress this.

ImNotTails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's the end of an era, as both the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS will be moving on to that great end-of-life cloud in the sky. Nintendo has put out a warning that they'll be winding down support both the eShop on both platforms. Starting May 23 of this year, credit cards will no longer be able to be used to add funds to the 3DS or Wii U eShop, with support for physical eShop cards going away on August 29th. Digital download codes will still work and will be redeemable until the final plug is pulled in March 2023.

In an FAQ released alongside the announcement, Nintendo clarified that this will not affect online play, and users will still be able to redownload games they have previously purchased.

Nintendo released the 3DS in March 2011, with multiple revisions to the handheld released throughout its lifetime. The Wii U came out in November 2012, and had a short life, being officially discontinued after the launch of the more successful Switch in 2017. The Virtual Console service was well known on either system, where classic games were sold individually, ranging from decades of Nintendo history. Nintendo chose to mention that they currently have no plans to continue the Virtual Console line, and will be focusing support on the Nintendo Switch Online classic library.

:arrow: Source
im glad it’s fairly easy to homebrew these consoles

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Yes. The thing is, I don't know if it actually does something or if it's just a check to authorize the format. If it's the latter, I guess it could be simulated in some way. Or they could release an final system update that adress this.
I believe they track what systems have what movable.sed and of course, track/update the current NNID/hardware linkage. Formatting removes the NNID (if it exists) so they keep a record of that.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO PIRACY IS BAD. Just make a homebrew version of the eshop where you can buy the games
But how would that go? I mean from the Nintendo servers and how would Nintendo get the money then while it's a homebrew app or custom server?

For retro games, Nintendo would make money with their Switch Online services. Still making money off that. But if the eshop shuts down, then, that's not possible anymore.

It's still sad that Nintendo tries to shut down even old retro ROMs, because those ROMs are needed for ROM hacks such as Mario 64 ROM hacks and a new world is blown wide open.

NeoGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But how would that go? I mean from the Nintendo servers and how would Nintendo get the money then while it's a homebrew app or custom server?

For retro games, Nintendo would make money with their Switch Online services. Still making money off that. But if the eshop shuts down, then, that's not possible anymore.

It's still sad that Nintendo tries to shut down even old retro ROMs, because those ROMs are needed for ROM hacks such as Mario 64 ROM hacks and a new world is blown wide open.
hold on if all of us want save the eshop go sign this save the eshop

• Sad

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
NO PIRACY IS BAD. Just make a homebrew version of the eshop where you can buy the games
That's still piracy...

The problem doesn't lie with us not paying for the games, but the fact that the developers don't receive money from them. Pirating a video game that stopped being officially sold years ago doesn't do any harm because there's literally no legal way to obtain it unless you buy it second-hand, at which point you're not paying the original developers anyway, which makes the whole process completely pointless.

Not only is reselling the games for a profit not helping anyone, but doing so digitally would count as commercial copying, which would not only violate the proprietary license of the software (therefore, piracy!) but you would be giving pay to someone who didn't even make the game in the first place, doesn't own the software's exclusive rights, and doesn't deserve the money.

This is even worse than just giving away pirated copies for free.

hold on if all of us want save the eshop go sign this save the eshop
Nintendo won't listen to a Change.org petition, you're better off building a time machine to convince Terry A. Davis that the CIA isn't watching him.

Reactions: Kopimist and Kioku

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is going to be an endless discussion anyway. Here most people at GBATemp, have modded their 3DS to 'backup' their games which is good in cases like services dying out, and what's even better is that modding allows to create and connect to custom servers, so old games can still be played online to this day, the CTGP Mario Kart ROM hack, but also the original Mario Kart Wii, Brawl and maybe more.

Speaking of connect to custom servers on the Switch like Wiimmfi does on the Wii, would that be 'piracy' by bypassing the need of subscribing to play online?

Anyway, there's also a disadventage about modding systems, and that's the most horrible it can make cheating/hacking online possible. I'm not sure in what games and if there are many cheaters in for example Mario Kart. on Switch. I really feel like the Switch could be hacked way too early. I know many people don't agree with me on this, but get this: It enables piracy and cheating online. But on the upside ofcourse it allows for homebrew games, emulators and even overclocking. Although the Switch system is amazing for mods nevertheless since it allows for both TV mode and handheld.

Reactions: Kioku and bonkmaykr

NeoGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo just hate people if they just listen to their customers like PlayStation this wouldn't be a problem for people like who still use the 3ds everyday. Man nintendo really try get people to go switch.

• Sad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr