Nintendo DSi Shop & Wii Shop Channel quietly pulled offline, with no ability to redownload titles

20220316_224035.jpg

If Nintendo announcing the discontinuation of the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U wasn't bad enough, strap yourselves in. Around 10:00pm CST, with no prior announcement, both the DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channels were quietly pulled offline, leaving previously downloaded purchases and titles unable to be redownloaded, showing error codes 290502 and 209601 for both systems respectively. Nintendo's CDN, which is the download server that houses all of the update and shop data, remains to be active with the ability to download titles with tools such as NUSDownloader, showing that only the frontend of the stores have suddenly disappeared. Nintendo's status page still lists that everything is operational, though it's currently unknown if this was a mistake like last year's eShop incident, or if this really is the end of an era.

:arrow: Source

[6-7-2022 Update]
Both shops are back online. See this post for more information.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

Xmortal

Other Nickname Legarad
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Isn't it the same Toei Animation hack? According to what I read several Japanese systems were hacked in early March. Toyota and Toei Animation

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's like Nintendo is giving us more and more reasons to pirate their older games
Right. Because the long-closed Wii and DSI Shops finally going dark has reduced the number of online games you could purchase from Nintendo for those platforms from zero all the way down to... zero. I can see how that would bring out the pirate in all of us. :rolleyes:

People please stop with the justifications for piracy and just admit you are a thief. Nintendo is not in the wrong here, nor do they have an obligation to keep a shop open a decade after they sell the last console that utilized the shop. Don't like digital releases? Don't buy them.

There are far more important things in your life than "game preservation." Or at least there should be.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If it's still down. It's going to stay down...I can see it now

"although the database has been down unexpectedly, we have decided to continue to wind down operations. Therefore the DSi and Wii Shop Channel will remain indefinitely offline."

basically this was planned.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right. Because the long-closed Wii and DSI Shops finally going dark has reduced the number of online games you could purchase from Nintendo for those platforms from zero all the way down to... zero. I can see how that would bring out the pirate in all of us. :rolleyes:

People please stop with the justifications for piracy and just admit you are a thief. Nintendo is not in the wrong here, nor do they have an obligation to keep a shop open a decade after they sell the last console that utilized the shop. Don't like digital releases? Don't buy them.

There are far more important things in your life than "game preservation." Or at least there should be.

Gimme a break. And on the other end of the spectrum, people need to stop simping for Nintendo and act like their current methods for a digital storefront are anything special either.

All those VC games? Gone, they're not going to be on NSO
All those Wiiware games? Never going on NSO either

But yes, piracy is such a rampant issue, clearly. Poor Nintendo :rolleyes:

I don't give a damn about whether or not I'm a pirate, nor do I give a damn about what people think about me pirating their games.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

MisterSheeple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gimme a break. And on the other end of the spectrum, people need to stop simping for Nintendo and act like their current methods for a digital storefront are anything special either.

All those VC games? Gone, they're not going to be on NSO
All those Wiiware games? Never going on NSO either

But yes, piracy is such a rampant issue, clearly. Poor Nintendo :rolleyes:

I don't give a damn about whether or not I'm a pirate, nor do I give a damn about what people think about me pirating their games.
Nobody can buy anything from the Wii Shop Channel or DSi Shop anymore anyway. It doesn't enable piracy more if you already couldn't buy shit from it to begin with. Big fuckin' whoop. I don't know why this is a conversation that has to be had.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody can buy anything from the Wii Shop Channel or DSi Shop anymore anyway. It doesn't enable piracy more if you already couldn't buy shit from it to begin with. Big fuckin' whoop. I don't know why this is a conversation that has to be had.

And it's not going to stop piracy either

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands

"although the database has been down unexpectedly, we have decided to continue to wind down operations. Therefore the DSi and Wii Shop Channel will remain indefinitely offline."

Did you receive this in an email or was this in a tweet?

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Someone claimed there was a new update on the wii, 4.4, that addressed the problem. I can't verify it though.
This just goes to show how much f-ing damage the developers did to the community with this stupid April fools joke. Remember, this is a community that believes that their Wii will explode in 2023.

Reactions: godreborn

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I could see something like that happening, but I couldn't imagine it being planned like this, they have nothing to gain from silently closing it down vs. just announcing it outright.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
....they have nothing to gain from silently closing it down.....

Sure they do. There is MUCH LESS controversy and only the people in the know are the ones who are users like us. If they officially announced something they would have a Sony situation on their hands like what they did with the Vita and PS3. I'm sure even users that didn't have a Vita or a PS3 voiced their displeasure about that move, and sure enough, Sony caved into consumer pressure. Nintendo is a much more obstinate company that absolutely despises what their fans what or think.

Nintendo very much knows what they are doing and the fact that this is STILL down tells everything we need to know. They are giving this the least exposure so they can kill this, save some space on their servers by culling all Wii titles...and and hope the mild controversy will die off.

It's not coming back

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure they do. There is MUCH LESS controversy and only the people in the know are the ones who are users like us.
They got the controversy anyways though? There were already plenty of articles complaining about the outage, because articles dunking on Nintendo get clicks. If that was their nebulous evil plan, it didn't work.
If they officially announced something they would have a Sony situation on their hands like what they did with the Vita and PS3. I'm sure even users that didn't have a Vita or a PS3 voiced their displeasure about that move, and sure enough, Sony caved into consumer pressure. Nintendo is a much more obstinate company that absolutely despises what their fans what or think.
They already have that problem with the 3DS and Wii U though? If that was really their goal, would they have announced that closure and given people more than a year to grab games?
"Despises" isn't the word I'd use, it's much more a "they plain don't care."

I could see them dropping redownload support, but I doubt it was pre-planned this way. The good thing is that 99.99% of this content is already well archived by fans online, so it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. The venn diagram of people desperate to redownload a game they bought 15 years ago and those unwilling to mod the console and sideload it must be absolutely tiny.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The venn diagram of people desperate to redownload a game they bought 15 years ago and those unwilling to mod the console and sideload it must be absolutely tiny.
Yeah but what about the people who paid money for those games they can't download any more? They should be getting a refund.

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
show how scum Nintendo is first one to get into politics to virtual signal about current events but wont say shit about them closing stuff down that affects people purchases

Reactions: slider86

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1