1. 6,629

Front-page
    fb-400x400.jpg

It's time to get your Nintendo Wii U and 3DS downloads squared away for good, as the eShop for those platforms will be going offline soon, in certain regions. On July 31st, users in 42 different countries across Latin America and the Caribbean will no longer be able to use the 3DS or Wii U eShop. It should be noted that these regions never had a typical Nintendo eShop, as they were referred to as "Limited Nintendo eShops", only offering game voucher redemptions as opposed to other regions where the eShop is a full digital storefront. This means that after the aforementioned date, redeeming download codes for Nintendo titles will no longer be an option, nor will downloading updates for games or system software, or even redownloading games you already own.

Nintendo recommends that you download all software and updates that you wish to keep prior to the deactivation date on July 31, and that you redeem your leftover game codes before it's too late. The following countries are the ones affected by this announcement: Anguilla, Antigua/Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Cost Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent/Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela.

Those in Mexico or Brazil will not be affected and are an exception, as they offer their own regular Nintendo eShop service and not a "limited" version.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (65 replies)

3. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    This is why digital on Nintendo consoles is bad

codezer0, Y0shII, Payoshi and 19 others like this.
  4. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Maniac

China
    The rest of the world is sure to follow suit.
    The question is what will happen to online gaming on Wii U. :/

5. jt_1258

jt_1258 Ella

United States
    So this is the beginning of the end.

mathew77 and Stealphie like this.
  6. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    I can't see the regular 3DS eShop folding imminently, but it is a warning sign that the console has long past its prime, and you'd best get your legit downloads in, prior to any future announcements.

7. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Honestly, the limited version of eShop was totally useless!

Seliph and nachuz like this.
  8. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Hat Kid

Brazil
    what? i remember Brazil not having a WiiU eShop (it does a 3DS eShop tho). I'd just give me an error and tell me "the eShop is not available in your country"
    and yeah this sucks, one step closer to losing the actual eShop, meaning eShop only games will be lost and you won't be able to buy DS VC anymore, so you can't use haxchi if you didn't buy it before the shutdown.

Last edited by Stealphie, Apr 28, 2020
  9. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This is what I'm worried about on my PS4... I have a lot of $$$ invested in digital games (blame it on the sales) what is going to happen 20 years from now to my stuff.... this is why I don't buy digital anymore. Also what about Destiny and Need for Speed (games that require internet)

I guess for the guys on 3DS just put CFW on it and call it a day

tangotnt, IC_ and Stealphie like this.
  10. Dartz150

Dartz150 Yet another Onii-chan

Mexico
    I bought animal Crossing New Horizons on the Brazil eShop cause it was cheaper, so is definitely a thing.

Zense likes this.
  11. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    It's a good thing both these consoles are cracked wide open

Stupid on Nintendo's part to remove any legitimate means of purchasing these games digitally

Seliph, PoiRan, kumikochan and 7 others like this.
  12. Stealphie

Brazil
    i hope that there will be a service like wimmfi but for WiiU/3DS

--Posts automatically merged - Please double post!

"I remember there not being a Wii U eShop"

Last edited by Stealphie, Apr 28, 2020
    Codemastershock and E1ite007 like this.
  13. DarkCoffe64

Italy
    Yar har fiddle dee dee, a pirate's life is one for me!

...what am saying is, if you want the digital stuff, you'll prolly have to put a cfw and get them games from teh internet... just not thru psn :v
    And games that require an always-online internet connection to play, imo that's pretty shit, but probably there are mods for offline play as well.
    Remember 2013's SimCity, that EA disaster that always required you to be online to play? And that those assfucks at EA were like "the game in unplayable offline/single player"? Got like modded a week later so you could play it offline. Meh.
    Am sure there's the same thing for other games as well.

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    For Sony and MS, assuming nothing extraordinarily drastic happens to either company you can expect their online storefronts to last basically until we're all dead from covid19 really. Nintendo is the only company of the big three that pulls this kind of shit, and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Sony, on the other hand, still has PSN running for the PS3, a 14 year old console way past it's EoL, and still supports digital purchases and downloads for the PSP, a 15 year old handheld, and they've made 0 announcements or moves to discontinue it (mostly because all the Sony consoles still use basically the same servers as before). Same thing for MS and the 360, which is even better off since MS has plans to continue supporting BC directly on console.

Third party online games will definitely go down eventually, and so will any games that use third party online services, but so long as those games/services are popular there will be people who create private servers and workarounds so people can continue playing those games.

LeddaZ, Red771, campbell0505 and 2 others like this.
  15. ombus

ombus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    And this is why piracy is a thing...
    so lucky to have had the 3ds and a week later we got the downgrade thing on ccc.

codezer0 and RedBlueGreen like this.
  16. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Okay thanks I'm just wondering because I did have alot of games I bought on PSN. I didnt want them telling me BS that I cant access my games for the PS4 not being supported once they roll out with PS5.

I hope they make offline for destiny and need for speed I still have stuff to do in that game I might as well try to beat those games... I still have Destiny 2 to play aswell. (Blame it on gamestop for having the game at $10)

17. sks316

sks316 Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness remaster activist

United States
    For the Wii U, yeah I can see it
    but it's kinda stupid to discontinue the 3DS eShop, given that one of the 3DS models is still in production...

18. Zense

Zense GBARunner2 config: Touch the touchscreen + press R

Italy
    I'm happy to tell you that the Pretendo Network is already working towards this and has shown great progress lately for both WiiU and 3DS. Among the people developing it is none other than Shutterbug which should be a familiar name. They've already been able to do a race in MK7.

Here's from the recent reimplementation of miiverse into Splatoon from the efforts of the rverse team who's brought back Miiverse in a functional form on both 3DS and Wii U:

Last edited by Zense, Apr 28, 2020
  19. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

United States
    I see the Wii-u eshop going away long before the 3ds's

Last edited by Something whatever, Apr 28, 2020
    campbell0505 and Zense like this.
  20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

have to wonder if this might have been part of the recent NNID hacks, seems to be weirdly timed

or maybe they just didn't make anything from having the shop up there anyway what with the 3DS and Wii U being hacked anyway, no point keeping a massive highway open if you only getting 1 car a month through it

don't get me wrong though, seems absurd they would just basically say "screw you, all your games are gone if you need to re-download them" and to think some people still wonder why people prefer physical over digital only

Last edited by gamesquest1, Apr 28, 2020
    Arras likes this.
  21. Stealphie

Brazil
    how
    i want to actually use miiverse

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - discontinuing, territories, Nintendo