Nintendo DSi Shop & Wii Shop Channel quietly pulled offline, with no ability to redownload titles

20220316_224035.jpg

If Nintendo announcing the discontinuation of the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U wasn't bad enough, strap yourselves in. Around 10:00pm CST, with no prior announcement, both the DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channels were quietly pulled offline, leaving previously downloaded purchases and titles unable to be redownloaded, showing error codes 290502 and 209601 for both systems respectively. Nintendo's CDN, which is the download server that houses all of the update and shop data, remains to be active with the ability to download titles with tools such as NUSDownloader, showing that only the frontend of the stores have suddenly disappeared. Nintendo's status page still lists that everything is operational, though it's currently unknown if this was a mistake like last year's eShop incident, or if this really is the end of an era.

:arrow: Source

[6-7-2022 Update]
Both shops are back online. See this post for more information.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

Psiolowavio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cheers for following this up, It doesen't bode well for the future.
What stops them from shutting down future generation storefronts? Nada nothing I'd say.
Sail the seas or get physical

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Man, people on the internet are such narcs these days.
Piracy has always been and will always be a moral imperative in a society that values repeated profit over the preservation of history. Yes, even history as seemingly "disposable" and "unimportant" as that of video games.

Anyway, here's hoping they find the guy who remembers how to turn on the servers or whatever soon.

Reactions: Takokeshi

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why people are sad. It is like you moved to new apartment and you are paying for the old and new apartments every month.

You don't even have friends to visit you nor have affair with you.
Not how it works. You're not renting by buying digital. You're buying. It's not so much an issue with these consoles, but when the Wii U and 3DS eShops go out like this tons of games will be inaccessible.

KanaKonpaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the Wii Shop channel stays down, would much be lost? All I remember being on it when I checked last year was the Save Data Update channel for Zelda Skyward Sword and the Wii U Transfer channel. I thought that being able to buy games was stopped years back, and I don't remember having an option to re-download any of the games I bought (I had like My Pokemon Ranch and a couple virtual console games back in the day that are no longer on the console). Maybe I missed something when I was on there last.

I don't have (and never have had) a DSi, so I don't know how the DSi Shop works. But I know there were many good games on that shop, would be sad if it went way for the DSi owners.

Regardless, if there is a way to re-download games on either console it's a shame for users on either, but unfortunately it takes bandwidth to keep these services up.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Even if the Wii Shop channel stays down, would much be lost? All I remember being on it when I checked last year was the Save Data Update channel for Zelda Skyward Sword and the Wii U Transfer channel. I thought that being able to buy games was stopped years back, and I don't remember having an option to re-download any of the games I bought (I had like My Pokemon Ranch and a couple virtual console games back in the day that are no longer on the console). Maybe I missed something when I was on there last.

I don't have (and never have had) a DSi, so I don't know how the DSi Shop works. But I know there were many good games on that shop, would be sad if it went way for the DSi owners.

Regardless, if there is a way to re-download games on either console it's a shame for users on either, but unfortunately it takes bandwidth to keep these services up.
WE JUST LOST THE BEST PIECE OF ART THE WII COULD EVER OFFER! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?
WHO THE FUCK CARES ABOUT GAMES?

WHERE AM I GOING TO LISTEN:

NOW?

Reactions: DJPlace

KanaKonpaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WE JUST LOST THE BEST PIECE OF ART THE WII COULD EVER OFFER! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?
WHO THE FUCK CARES ABOUT GAMES?

WHERE AM I GOING TO LISTEN:

NOW?

Good point, good point. Totally forgot that the store actually has to load to hear that music :sad: Now you've got me mourning the Wii Shop channel being down

• Sad
Reactions: DJPlace

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just gave Nintendo Germany a call and asked them about this. First they claimed that all Wii online services have been down since 2019, including the shop. Now we all know that's not true and I told them that the shop and the update servers were definitely still up last week. I was asked if I had any homebrew or other unauthorized software on my Wii "as that could cause certain services to be available again" (nice description for Wiimmfi), and while I definitely have "unauthorized software" on my Wii I obviously didn't tell them, and just asked them to google "wii shop down" and check last week's Google results, and from their change in behaviour it sounded like they actually did that.

Other than that, they had no information about that change in behaviour, so it looks like whatever Nintendo of America told Kotaku hasn't made its way over to the Nintendo Germany support. Or ... the "maintenance" they told Kotaku involves Nintendo shutting down the Wii and DSi shop, and "We will provide an update later" means "We will tell you later that we just shut down the Wii Shop".

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just gave Nintendo Germany a call and asked them about this. First they claimed that all Wii online services have been down since 2019, including the shop. Now we all know that's not true and I told them that the shop and the update servers were definitely still up last week. I was asked if I had any homebrew or other unauthorized software on my Wii "as that could cause certain services to be available again" (nice description for Wiimmfi), and while I definitely have "unauthorized software" on my Wii I obviously didn't tell them, and just asked them to google "wii shop down" and check last week's Google results, and from their change in behaviour it sounded like they actually did that.

Other than that, they had no information about that change in behaviour, so it looks like whatever Nintendo of America told Kotaku hasn't made its way over to the Nintendo Germany support. Or ... the "maintenance" they told Kotaku involves Nintendo shutting down the Wii and DSi shop, and "We will provide an update later" means "We will tell you later that we just shut down the Wii Shop".
Nintendo chat/phone support in Germany. Funny, but not competent (anymore).
It seems they just follow some kind of script like on any hotline nowadays – and if you ask something that is not on the flowchart they get stuck.
"[…] is not possible." is one of their favorite phrases.
Shocking that support doesn't seem to know the difference between "shop closure" (for buying) and "servers down" and "online gaming servers deactivated". And they didn't know re-downloading was possible beyond 2019?? Shaking my head in disbelieve.

I might give them a call as well.

If I compare this to how nice, friendly and competent the support was in the 1990s, I could start crying.
=============

Thanks for contacting them! Good idea.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
We have here this Statement from Nintendo:

UPDATE: "Currently undergoing maintenance," Nintendo now says.

UPDATE 23/3/22: Nintendo has finally commented on the Wii and DSi eShop channels, after days of unexplained downtime and increasing fan concern over their future.

In a statement to Eurogamer this morning, Nintendo said the storefronts were "undergoing maintenance", with no word on when they might return.

"The Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop are currently undergoing maintenance," a Nintendo spokesperson said. "We will provide an update at a later date."

Prior to the storefronts' disappearance, Nintendo seemingly made no mention of maintenance plans.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-dsi-shop-channels-have-been-offline-for-days

Reactions: Craftyawesome

Aliogeek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I asked when the maintenance will finish. I received a message today :

1648215603581.png

"Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't know when the maintenance will finish."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.