Nintendo confirms it will launch its first smartphone game in March

upload_2016-1-15_17-42-50.png

We’re a matter of weeks away from seeing Nintendo software on non-Nintendo devices.

The publisher’s first smartphone game is coming in March, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima wrote in an editorial for Japanese newspaper Mainichi Shimbun (via industry analyst Serkan Toto). Kimishima wrote this piece to detail his plans for the company over the next 12 months. The president explained that he wants to generate $855 million in profit in “several years” — which means that he is trying to steadily build the company to a point where it is generating four times the profits it did last year. And the app for Android and iOS smart devices is a big part of that. That’s especially true when you look at how Japan is one of the top three markets when it comes to spending on the $30 billion mobile-gaming market. And while most of that Japanese revenue goes to the duopoly of Monster Strike and Puzzle & Dragons, Nintendo could have the clout to grab some of that money.

More at ...

source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/15/n...ll-launch-its-first-smartphone-game-in-march/

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
typical i-slave always thinks it's right and appl$ can do no wrong. i'm done debating with a hipster. :lol:

I don't remember discussing apple during any of this, other than mentioning it was the platform I played my games on.

This was focused on Nintendo's foray into the mobile scene and your inability to comprehend or fathom why mobile gaming is not a bad thing in any way shape or form. As I mentioned before, I feel like Nintendo tested these waters on their own E-Shop with Pokemon Shuffle, Stretch-Mo and some of their streetpass content, all of which I think are great examples of micro-games that are very solid and entertaining.

All of these games do offer microtransactions, but I can say I have never had to purchase anything in Pokemon shuffle, and Stretch-Mo only charges for the content you would like to play, essentially just being a broken apart piece by piece game you can choose to enjoy and purchase at your leisure.

I think Nintendo's future in Mobile Gaming will be a solid one, especially if they offer games on the caliber of their ESHOP titles.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't remember discussing apple during any of this, other than mentioning it was the platform I played my games on.

This was focused on Nintendo's foray into the mobile scene and your inability to comprehend or fathom why mobile gaming is not a bad thing in any way shape or form. As I mentioned before, I feel like Nintendo tested these waters on their own E-Shop with Pokemon Shuffle, Stretch-Mo and some of their streetpass content, all of which I think are great examples of micro-games that are very solid and entertaining.

All of these games do offer microtransactions, but I can say I have never had to purchase anything in Pokemon shuffle, and Stretch-Mo only charges for the content you would like to play, essentially just being a broken apart piece by piece game you can choose to enjoy and purchase at your leisure.

I think Nintendo's future in Mobile Gaming will be a solid one, especially if they offer games on the caliber of their ESHOP titles.

I think the worry is Nintendo will make mobile their focus rather than just a money generating side-project.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia

While I was reading your "debate", all I thought of was why the heck are you even bothering?
Dude, I don't comment much but I know for a fact you're better off not wasting your time with on him!

As for Nintendo going mobile, true they can very well succeed, but all that really matters is whether they'll produce games of the qualities we love and need and whether it could negatively affect their native devices' games.

I can't really take my 3DS everywhere but I always do with my mobile.
Taking advantage of that alone can prove worthwhile.
Also, using features like NFC found in phones is something I definitely see myself using rather than an Amiibo (again, only an example).

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the worry is Nintendo will make mobile their focus rather than just a money generating side-project.
Considering DeNA is the one actually making the games and Nintendo is only overseeing it I don't see how that's a possibility

And seriously what's with all the bitching? If the games are good then Nintendo is offering either free or very cheap content that ANYONE can access. If the games are bad then DeNA takes the hit and you don't have to purchase it, just look the other way and chuckle to yourself at the "hipster sheeple". You sound like the gaming equivalent of militant atheists

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering DeNA is the one actually making the games and Nintendo is only overseeing it I don't see how that's a possibility

And seriously what's with all the bitching? If the games are good then Nintendo is offering either free or very cheap content that ANYONE can access. If the games are bad then DeNA takes the hit and you don't have to purchase it, just look the other way and chuckle to yourself at the "hipster sheeple". You sound like the gaming equivalent of militant atheists

I didn't say I personally was worried about it (so cut the personal attacks out). I was just saying that it's what some people (who aren't aware that Nintendo isn't actually the primary developer) are prolly worried about

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say I personally was worried about it (so cut the personal attacks out). I was just saying that it's what some people (who aren't aware that Nintendo isn't actually the primary developer) are prolly worried about
Sorry, in case it wasn't clear that wasn't directed at you personally, it was mainly for everyone BUT you actually. I should have made a better distinction that just hitting "return" a few times

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's a game that's on the 3DS already, a game I don't care about, and I don't actively use a smartphone, so I can't think of a reason to have a problem with this. I think some people are concerned it's going to be a slippery slope and Nintendo is going to drop handhelds for smartphones, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I eagerly anticipate all of the facebook and instagram profiles Nintendo will have shutdown and banned for posting screenshots of their precious copyrighted material without permission

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
What I want, a 3DS with cellphone capability.

I don't play much mobile games, and lugging a iPhone 6+ and a 3ds around is ridiculous.

If I could combine both, so that I can game on it, and work on it, and message on it,
And set do not disturb when gaming, it'll be perfect.

Also, battery life.

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like they will be the type of developers who will ignore all the bugs in the games and will take forever to update their games (if not never) and never reply to the reviews.... just a feeling :/

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't know where all the amazing mobile games are hiding at. The DS proved that theres plenty of potential in touch based games. Professor Layton and Rhythym Heaven were excellent games in my opinion that would work just fine on mobile. The reason we cringe at the mention of mobile games is because they're all crap for whatever reason. I'm sure there are good games in there somewhere, but they're just so hard to find.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i don't play the garbage at all i'd rather play REAL games. because of shitty mobile games nearly every game has some type of m$t now and it's even starting to infect steam as well. and now look even ninty has been infected too. cancer alright!
The very bad side of mobile games that isn't always there finds parallels in:
  1. The stupidification of gameplay that was already taking place in things like e.g. CoD.
  2. The release of half-assed incomplete games that required extra payment via DLC to get a really selfstanting thing.
Those two things were already taking place way before mobile gaming was popular.
Putting the whole blame on mobile gaming is just being obtuse, and also not looking at the actual time sequence of events.

Reactions: chartube12

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Smartphone games are no better or worse than console or PC games, smartphones are just another platform you can game on. There's nothing inherently wrong with them and any division between mobile games and other ones is purely artificial, that argument is based on perceived platform superiority. It's the exact same squabble as PC vs console when the only defining factor of each faction is snobbery.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smartphone games are no better or worse than console or PC games, smartphones are just another platform you can game on. There's nothing inherently wrong with them and any division between mobile games and other ones is purely artificial, that argument is based on perceived platform superiority. It's the exact same squabble as PC vs console when the only defining factor of each faction is snobbery.
^This. If you're not into the endless ocean of trashy games with micro transactions and/or "extra" dlc then just avoid them. Games of that nature have no bounds and can be found just about everywhere.

Reactions: chartube12

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I don't know where all the amazing mobile games are hiding at. The DS proved that theres plenty of potential in touch based games. Professor Layton and Rhythym Heaven were excellent games in my opinion that would work just fine on mobile. The reason we cringe at the mention of mobile games is because they're all crap for whatever reason. I'm sure there are good games in there somewhere, but they're just so hard to find.
Check The Room.
Reminds me most of Zero Escape (not as good but in game style).
Really nice and well worth playing, in my opinion.

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah PC is in no way better than consoles /s

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank goodness it's not a dumbed down, one-touch-control version of a beloved Nintendo franchise. "Super Mario Bros.: Go" (tap to jump endless runner), "Legend of Zelda: Pocket Edition" (freemium crapware) or "Donkey Kong Country Saga" (Bejewelled crap with different graphics) would literally make me cry.
And is there a chance that Nintendo will bring up the standard of mobile games? One thing nintendo is doing is limiting its maximum iap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok