XP
Country

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just seen a newer article on this. Nintendo isn't claiming directly your videos as their own. Instead any videos containing Nintendo content (including fair use videos) will be have Nintendo ads added to them before they play. Nintendo ads will also be added to the regular poll of ads.

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can anyone even say that being an Lper is not a real job? If it's so dam easy I'd love for everyone to attempt it and get well known to the point where you are actually making enough money to support yourself off it. It's not as easy as everyone seems to think it is, you would have to be a dam fool to even think of such a thing.

You first have to market yourself, you have to industrialize yourself, you have to set time away to do these games. You are your own business, you own yourself, you work for yourself, and you are your own boss. You wouldn't say like a complete retard "derp, I put games on youtube and make revenue off it hur hur hur hur ". " I sustained myself by creating a business of entertainment from videos on youtube ".

Fair-Use is insanely broad to begin with, but you have to be rational. I could be insane with the limits as well. "What if I screamed for a brief 1 sec of a 150589878475982hr video of all the movies in the world, and posted it on youtube, that's FAIR USE hur huh hur" come on people -.-....

Reactions: gamefan5

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think this is basic nintendo: They finally realised internet excists and don't know how to react to it.

Oh, they know how to react to it alright.
Nintendo probably approached google to help them with marketing and this is what google came up with.
considering how huge both of these corporations legal teams must be, you can be certain that this is absolutely legal.

rupok93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rupok93: did you hear what nintendo is doing
rupok93: to let's plays?
Friend: yeah
Friend: personally I don't see the issue
Friend: (with what nintendo did)
rupok93: watch totalbiscuits video
rupok93: on why it's an issue
rupok93: basically these guys take the time and effort to make the commentaries
rupok93: people don't watch them for the game
rupok93: its usually for the people
Friend: and nintendo take their time and effort to make the game
Friend: I don't think people should make profit off of that
Friend: and I do think nintendo should be allowed a cut of revenue, considering their game is 50% of the video
rupok93: well now that's not gonna happen anymore
rupok93: people are gonna stop making nintendo videos entirely
rupok93: so all the advertising they get
rupok93: from huge fans
rupok93: who do commentaries
rupok93: is gone
Friend: Think about it in another example
rupok93: a video game is interactive media
Friend: if you told someone your life story, and they used your story to make a movie
Friend: you'd expect a cut of the profits too
rupok93: you can't compare video games to a movie
Friend: yes you can
rupok93: movies aren't interactive
rupok93: they don't change
rupok93: when you play them
Friend: But someone could make a commentary of the movie
Friend: and that'd be essentially the same
rupok93: no it's not
Friend: Why isn't it?
rupok93: a movie is static
rupok93: the experience doesn't chance from one person to another
rupok93: change
Friend: Most games don't either tbh
rupok93: the fact that video games require input makes it different
rupok93: ya the core content
rupok93: is the same
rupok93: but if you leave a video game it's not gonna play itself
rupok93: but anyways that's not the point
rupok93: the point is youtube doesn't care
rupok93: if it's a let's play
rupok93: or a review
Friend: I'm not going to argue about it. I don't agree with saying that watching a video of a guy playing a game, and watching a video of a guy commentating a movie are all that different. and I think Nintendo are entitled to a cut of the profits someone is making from THEIR property
rupok93: so fair use laws should go out the window then?
Friend: It isn't breaching fair use law
Friend: Nintendo just wants to put their adverts onto videos of Nintendo content, where the user is profiting
rupok93: ok then all these guys who make a living off commentating and uploading every day are not gonna do it anymore
rupok93: it's basically like filming yourself playing some board game
rupok93: and then the company is like
rupok93: we deserve the profits
rupok93: from ad revenue from that video
Friend: yup, I think that's totally fair
Friend: Without their product, there wouldn't be a video
Friend: anyways afk
rupok93: k

I had a discussion with someone on my steam friends list.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's been done before. It's like this : Sports commentators. Just to a different audience. If you're a sports commentator, then is that also not a real job? You're just watching the game and talking, yes?
Eh? You seriously compare sports commentators with LPers? A sports commentator works for a TV station that purchases necessary rights for the content to broadcast while LPers make their own content off of other people's property without permission.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is. Nintendo could just take all copyrighted content down. Instead Nintendo allows users to use their copyrighted content in exchange of giving them their revenue. People who wants to make money with copyrighted youtube videos should get a real job.
In case you didn't get the memo: There ain't enough jobs for all of us.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You're not supposed to monetize videos that have content you don't own in them anyway. The youtube partner page specifically mentions video game footage as one thing that can't be monetized. It's all I have on my channel and youtube wouldn't even let me monetize it when I tried.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You're not supposed to monetize videos that have content you don't own in them anyway. The youtube partner page specifically mentions video game footage as one thing that can't be monetized. It's all I have on my channel and youtube wouldn't even let me monetize it when I tried.
Where are you getting this? I've monetized plenty of non-Nintendo video game stuff, I've seen no mention of this and nothing has happened to my videos.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: WiiUBricker

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the videos in question are illegal, simply remove them. Nintendon't get to decide that they are legal enough to allow, but illegal enough to take the profit. Grey area. Let's see a lawsuit.

Assuming they are not pulling trademark law (and this appears to be copyright they are using) then legally they do get choose to remove it or not or something in between (only allowing noncommercial use being one of those somethings), they could even vary completely arbitrarily between different people if they wanted to.

rupok93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no point in discussing law. Laws are always way behind their time, its 100% guranteed that what nintendo and google are doing is legal, however that doesn't make it right or in line with common sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol