ROM Hack Ninokuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi - Translation Project

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
We have translated the Magic Book too and it will be available for download with the final patch (in some way, because in that case we can not release a patch but the full pdf and it's a little bit illegal)
Well, from what i know, there are already pdf of the original around the net, what if you create a patch that apply to a pdf??

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
Just saw this bit so my response is really late.
Just a heads up, but I'm the one who programmed that server and also runs the server. If you have some specific data you'd like to put up then I'd be more than happy to add the data to our server.
Oh, thanks. I will contact you by PM for the details :D

Well, from what i know, there are already pdf of the original around the net, what if you create a patch that apply to a pdf??
We were searching it and we couldn't find it. On Internet there is the magic book of the PS3 version because it can be easily extract from the game (already in digital format) but it's really different. The NDS version, as needed to be scanned, it seems that nobody did it.

We created our own book by using the PS3 version for backgrounds and basic formats, scanning in high resolution almost 150 pages from the physicial NDS book to take images, and editing all the pages with photoshop. It was a really hard work and took 6 months. So, a patch is not possible. Probably someone will upload somehow the translated book to a bittorrent and somehow it will be able to download from somewhere.

Reactions: GHANMI

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country

Hi Auryn :)
As pleonex explained, the PS3 version is the distributed pdf online.
Surprisingly enough, no one bothered to scan the DS version book (which is very different).
Now, if we tried to make a patch that modifies the available online PS3 pdf to become a translated version of the DS version book with the omitted content and removed pages restored, the ips/xdelta/beat patch data itself would technically contain copyrighted data anyways, since it doesn't simply modify the file but adds new content from scratch, and that content (which is very much copyrighted) would be stored in the patch data.
So the problem wouldn't be resolved, and the patch would be as legal as Final Fantasy Type-0's patch.

The whole thing is scanlation-level of legality. Level-5 moved on and reused Ni no Kuni DS's game engine for that Youkai Watch game, and they're now up to the third game in that series which they are already readying the successor for.

Who knows, maybe probably one day, the DS pages will appear mysteriously on torrent sites with Spanish translations (maybe English too, but the translation would need to come out first for that to even happen) bundled in a modified version of the PS3 manual with mysteriously corrected terminology, puzzles and page names. It would be a leak from a frustrated beta-tester since the Spanish translation team would never openly endorse scanlation, or something. Maybe. Probably. "Tabun" would Level-5 say.

Umm. Nothing.

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hey guys. I have the original japanese wizards book and a scanner I can scan if needed!
Thanks for the offer but we have already done our HD scans from the book :D
In fact the book is 100% the same as the jap version for NDS but 100% translated to Spanish (but as we have the scans, it can be translated to any language).

Mmmm... Mmmm....

So, I am glad to say that the only thing to be done for the Spanish translation is to finish the in-game keyboard. We have been working very hard these weeks, specially with ASM hacking (with crazy things like analyzing functions of 1600 lines of code). Once the keyboard is done, we will do the last quick testing and...

Zkarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, I am glad to say that the only thing to be done for the Spanish translation is to finish the in-game keyboard. We have been working very hard these weeks, specially with ASM hacking (with crazy things like analyzing functions of 1600 lines of code). Once the keyboard is done, we will do the last quick testing and...

Great news! And that's one tedious .asm, damn o.0
With the Spanish translation nearing its end, next up: the English translation? Anyone? :D

Zkarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What if somebody translated the spanish one to english? :unsure:

Sadly, a lot of nuance would be lost that way. Translating directly from Japanese is the highest quality solution.
May I ask how many lines of Dialog are there in the game?

I couldn't tell you the exact number (pleonex probably can, though :P), but it's a lot. You can take a look at the English Translation's Google Drive folder to see all the text files. But keep in mind, next to dialogue there are also all the enemies, imagen (your Pokémon, so to speak), item names, item description, all of the images etc. that all need to be translated.

Reactions: GHANMI

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
May I ask how many lines of Dialog are there in the game?
I don't know the number of lines, but once I modified the tools to count the words of the Spanish translation so... Although it is not possible to count the words in the Magic Book and in the images... all the text files of the Spanish translation are 200.000 words, like a book of 800 pages. Incredible, yeah.

Reactions: Pablitox and GHANMI

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
Yes!, I hadn't time to say it here... but I am glad to say that the Spanish translation is 100% completed!!
I will tell you when a release date is set. The patch will be available for download from our new website: http://gradienwords.com

We have decided to spend some weeks to do a quick-general testing. Everything started on 11 October 2011 thanks to Jefelin who has being working on the project every single day, making it possible, and it has finished today, 10 April 2015. 3 years and a half on a uninterrupted project, working very hard, with a new set of tools, docs and resources that thankfully will save a lot of time for other translation. Yes, it's possible to translate the game.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
3 years is a long time, but you did not give up, that's an awesome trait. You guys did a superb work and deserve a good rest, :D

So, thank you for your hard work! I can't wait to play it!

Reactions: pleonex

benjamin-klein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
now it will be so cool if somebody translated the spanish one version to english !

and what people you wants Translating directly from the Spanish translation
like this way the game will be quick finished .

or Translating directly from Japanese
and wait march 2016 ? thanks for your answers ?

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
I am tired to repeat the same... It won't happen. Nobody will help on that. Nobody wants it. Studio Ghibli, Level-5 and specially Ninokuni does not deserve that, it must have the most high quality translation possible. For this reason I have spent three years of my life working on that, making the impossible. It would be like do a copy of Picasso (it's a Spanish painter) paintings with Windows Paint program... Wait, I have a better comparison: It would be like make a photo of a photo of a painting. You could see it, but you can't enjoy it.

In fact, it would not take a few months. I repeat, it's like translate a 800 page book + 1600 images +another 300 pages book with images. You can even read all of that text and understand it perfectly in that period of time!

So, for my part, I won't reply to more "plz, do a spanish to english translation".

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, in the meanwhile, I tried doing some RAM memory hacking for the 2009 demo of Ni no Kuni (Level-5 Premium Platinium) to see what's out of bounds in the overworld map (which is closed off in this version) because they entirely redid it in the retail version.
Well, the chests all have the Life Elixir item as a placeholder, and the game doesn't load more maps, but the hidden scenery, even unfinished, is really beautifully drawn and modeled. I'll see if I can data mine more stuff (maybe text to go with those unreachable signs?). The aim hopefully will be to produce an English menu translation for this demo (we have up to parts Goronail covered too in the main script thanks to Nagato) and for the final game as well (without any kind of restriction like game ending early or other shady schemes).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Please, stop asking and bothering them with the same question over and over.
They clearly answered that they will never use another translation project to release an english version. There's no need to bother them, it might only angry the team and they will fully drop the project.

Why do you keep trying to convince the team to do what they don't want to?

and for your information, the spanish team ... is the guy who told you that he has enough of answering the same question and that he will not use the spanish version as base.
He is already working on both team. he doesn't need to ask himself if he can help ;)
well, he did hacking tools, but he is part of the team too and stated his view on using Spanish version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...