My PC-98 translation projects

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I took a look at Shangrilia 2 and noticed that it gets straight to the point:
IMG_20231029_095508.jpg
It is a fairly difficult game from the start, very slow and ultimately a bit repetitive and tedious. A hack about a higher amount of damage dealt would have helped a lot: a single map takes forever.
Aside from the introductory image, there is no shadow of a plot, or is there?

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A very short scene before the ending, and the ending itself. The plot is almost non-existent ^^

The game can be hard to get a grip on, especially at start. As soon you begin to handle crowd control and raise a couple units level, it's a lot more managable. I say it's definitely harder than Lakers, but still easier than Dragon Knight 4/Foxy 2 for instance.
Post automatically merged:

I jut pushed a fix for Shangrlia 2. There was a font width bug for the first three generals, that triggered after you rescue the first one. My sincere apologies for letting it slip through.

Last edited by BabaJeanmel,
Reactions: Nikokaro

koolzuur

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shangrlia 2 is definitely a game that you've to play twice. The first time is a learning experience. Great game. I played the menu translated version from BabaJeanmel. Great job, keep up the good work.

koolzuur

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First of all, hello, welcome and good stay here. You have grasped that he has already completed the full translation of this game, not just the menu, right?
Yes, I've seen that but, I play the games for the system (I love tactics games) and not for the story. And I think you don't need a hack for this game. See it as a trial and error game.

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Small teaser :) But you should know there still are a couple more technical roadblocks, and that I won't be able to properly start working on it before December. Nevertheless, here it goes :)

Attachments

• NP2_0001.png
    NP2_0001.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 26
  • NP2_0010.png
    NP2_0010.png
    30 KB · Views: 14
  • NP2_0011.png
    NP2_0011.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Wow

Teclo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.backloggery.com
XP
Country
Hi. Thanks for doing these translations. These games are so nostalgic for me. I've just started playing Etsuraku no Gakuen, v1.3 of the translation patch, and the font is different from in the previews. It's this quite hard to read font where "m" and "n" look really similar, and it's just generally kind of a chore to read. Any idea why this is? I'm using the Neko Project emulator, if that's relevant.

Attachments

• np21x64w_UadmwDnz1A.png
    np21x64w_UadmwDnz1A.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 27

Teclo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.backloggery.com
XP
Country
You need to use a valid font.rom. You can pick it from here.

Copy it in the neko project directory and click "emulate/font" to set it.
Thanks, that worked. Another problem which may or may not be related to your translation is that I've just got to the point where you go to the gym. This is the end of the first day. I arrive in the gym and I have the options "Look around" and "move". After I click the first choice twice, no new dialogue comes up on a third click. It's the same line from then on. If I try to "move" then the two choices are refused by the protag, saying he shouldn't leave yet. I checked a walkthrough and after three "look arounds," you're meant to get the choice to ask nearby students a question. That never happens for me.

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should ask JackDBS about that issue. In the meantime, here is a working file from the previous version. After extracting it, you must use a tool such as Disk Explorer to insert it back in your patched HDI in place of the existing one.

Attachments

• S04.zip
    18.3 KB · Views: 14

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's on this thread's first page: it's actually an action game, Night Slave. It's a mix of sidescrolling levels where you pilot a mech, and short VN scenes. Imagine a lost episode of the Assault Suit series, except, well, there are a few h-scenes inbetween the levels ^^

Night Slave had a "translation" courtesy of Retronomicon, but it relied on a horrible font hack that can't be used on real hardware, had completely butchered text (some hardcoded lines where even left in japanese, and because of the hack, displayed as gibberish), and not a single graphic in english. This is an attempt to do the game justice, as it's one of the very best action games on the platform (and surprisingly, the plot is pretty good!)

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rance 2 has also pretty well advanced, we're approaching 40% completion. A few screenshots:

rance2_ss_01.png
rance2_ss_02.png
rance2_ss_03.png
rance2_ss_04.png

I might touch up the text a little, the formating of the original script is a bit erratic, and I spotted a few goofs here and there, but nothing really serious.

Last edited by BabaJeanmel,
Reactions: ecto and Nikokaro

ManhKun

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
ThanK you, which emulator i can run it?, i imported hdi file to neko project ii but it just black scren.
sorry for my bad english

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto