My PC-98 translation projects

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember sneaking onto the computer at 2am to play Season of Sakura LOL. I based my Vita homebrew game's name on it, and in my game the school drama club is putting on the play "3 Sister Story" :rofl2:

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This one will probably need more time, but nevertheless here are the first screens:

rance3_ss_00.png
rance3_ss_01.png

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How many Rance games are still untranslated, and how many have already been translated?
Between the older PC-98 titles (mostly fan translated) and the newer Windows ones (officially translated by Mangagamer), I suppose they are all translated into english by now. 🤔

Reactions: Toppis

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The classic series (Rance 1-4 + 4.1, 4.2 and Brutal King) is totally fan translated in English. Windows versions are available for all games ; Alpharobo and I backported 1 and 2 to PC-98, and we're working on 3 atm.
Modern series have two games left untranslated: 03 and X.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Night Slave is now released! Get it here.
Hi chief. I tried to play Night Slave on NP2 for PSP, but it won't start and gives me the following message:

IMG_20240308_101219.jpg

I have tried increasing the available RAM and changing the gdc clock frequency to no avail. Do you understand anything about this issue? Thank you.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to at least emulate a VX model, along with 1 mb RAM (or emulate a PC-9821). CPUs below are not supported.
Also, GDC must be set to 2,5.
I'm not really familiar with the RA cores, but you should probably use NP21kai instead of NP2 (the latter being better suited for legacy processors)

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You need to at least emulate a VX model, along with 1 mb RAM (or emulate a PC-9821). CPUs below are not supported.
Also, GDC must be set to 2,5.
I'm not really familiar with the RA cores, but you should probably use NP21kai instead of NP2 (the latter being better suited for legacy processors)
Already increased RAM to 3mb and changed the gdc frequency with no results. I already feared I would have to use the NP2Kai version, since it was a recent title, but unfortunately both this emulator or its RA core on PSP are unplayable (absurdly slow). I'll have to resign myself to playing it on tablet, I'm afraid. 🤷

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just a small heartbeat for Rance III. Script is 94% inserted, game is playable until about halfway. A lot of bugs remain to correct, unfortunately. Here are a few screenshots.

Attachments

• NP2_0006.png
    NP2_0006.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 14
  • NP2_0005.png
    NP2_0005.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 18
  • NP2_0003.png
    NP2_0003.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Nikokaro and Toppis

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All text is now inserted, including a very short part of Alice's Mansion done from scratch. Game-breaking bugs are sorted out, the game is now fully playable and completable. I'm now doing a second-pass editing phase to fix menus with overflowing text, along with a complete reformating to optimize everything and make it readable. Afterwards, a second full playthrough will follow to clear the last remaining derps. A couple CGs will also need editing, especially the maps.

The hardest part is now behind us, but there's still quite a bit of work remaining. I hope everything will be finished by the end of April.

Just know that the Rance III release will mark the end of the AliceSoft porting project, at least for the moment. That's because engines for Toushin Toshi II and Rance IV won't be likely cracked open before long. Their code is just too much of a mess (and believe me, Rance III was already a major pain in the ass to deal with with our current toolset ^^)

Of course, if there are future developments, I'll be glad to let you know. As well as future projects that are not AliceSoft-related :)

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rance III is almost finished. We just need to insert text in the opening, and the patch will be released. In the meantime, we're also working on a small bonus...

policewoman_ss_01.png

Policewoman VX was a (very) short game offered as a hidden extra with the first Rance game. It was a pure text adventure at first, then a version with CG was released a couple years after and offered on the ALICE-NET BBS.

You'll be able to experience it in English for the first time... pretty soon. Like I said, it's ridiculously short. Plus it uses System 1, and we have a pretty mature toolset for it, so...

Reactions: Toppis and Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks again chief. Sorry for the slight digression: much to my surprise they recently released the port of Alicesoft's system40 on Android, and I am fully immersed in MG's Sengoku Rance on tablet (unbelievable to say!); just overwhelmed by the blitz of four consecutive merciless Demon Army attacks. 😩 Having finished this onerous task, I will tackle your latest work.
Regards. 😊

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: BabaJeanmel

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's great news! I still have to finish playing Brutal King... Haven't really looked into Nu-Rance yet. But I will most certainly do, eventually :)

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's great news! I still have to finish playing Brutal King.
Yeah, you could also play Kichikuou Rance on Android: the same developer also ported system35 to Android, making it compatible with all system39 titles as well. The saves I believe are compatible. On Github I have reported various issues regarding different titles (for both xsystem40 and xsystem35), but the author has not yet responded anything. 🤷

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Small update: I forgot to join the xdelta executable to the patch. It's corrected, so if you didn't manage to patch it by yourselves, you can re-download the package, it's complete now :)

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
alice_ss_01.png
alice_ss_02.png
alice_ss_03.png
alice_ss_04.png

For our next short project, here is "Alice's Cottage", the first AliceSoft fan disc. It includes a short VN called "Sentimental Seasons", a short ADV starring Alice herself, a CG commentary and a quizz section, among other small bonuses.

Pretty important disc in the history of Japanese PC gaming, as it's basically the prototype for all further fan-discs. It's pretty short (Alice's Cottage 2 and 3 have more content) but worth a play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto