Homebrew New VBA GX fork (2.3.0)

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance to finally see that 240p (double-strike) support for GBA games happening? It'd be a dream: only emulator that does it is wiimednafen and it's too slow to be usable in most games. FCEUGX and SNES9XGX all got that option but VBAGX was left in the dust...

SGB enhanced games on this, running in 240p would be the next best thing to a real SGB!

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Isn't double strike already implemented (2x and unfiltered)?
Also WiiMednafen remains best for a couple of GBA games like Motoracer, V Rally 3 and Duke 3D compared to RA and VBA GX. It has a slight edge on these few games.

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't double strike already implemented (2x and unfiltered)?
Also WiiMednafen remains best for a couple of GBA games like Motoracer, V Rally 3 and Duke 3D compared to RA and VBA GX. It has a slight edge on these few games.

No no, that's something else. Double-strike would mean rendering 1x video resolution (240x160) inside a 240p video frame. You'd get a much sharper image and scanlines on CRT TVs like that. That's what WiiMednafen does, and that's basically what FCEUGX and SNES9XGX do in Original video mode (although not framed since those consoles are 240p capable), so I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to port the feature over.

Of course I know the wii is still pumping 720x240 and there's the active area and all that but you get the idea, it works great in other emulators.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Any chance to finally see that 240p (double-strike) support for GBA games happening? It'd be a dream: only emulator that does it is wiimednafen and it's too slow to be usable in most games. FCEUGX and SNES9XGX all got that option but VBAGX was left in the dust...

SGB enhanced games on this, running in 240p would be the next best thing to a real SGB!
FIY Retroarch Wii can do native 240p resolution, aka "double strike".
But you will only beneifit from this is you use a proper CRT monitor with RGB scart.

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FIY Retroarch Wii can do native 240p resolution, aka "double strike".
But you will only beneifit from this is you use a proper CRT monitor with RGB scart.

It can't do it properly with GBA or GBC games. None of the resolutions scale properly, as they're more 240p-console friendly, so the games look stretched/distorted instead of "window boxed" as they should, like Wiimednafen does. Custom Viewports only work on 480i so you can't center the image either.

Also any CRT will benefit from this, even when using composite. It's also does wonders for 240p scalers like the XRGB Mini on HD LCD tvs.

I was just throwing it out there since nobody mentioned it - it's already implemented in SNES9XGX and FCEUGX, and since the codebase is about the same, it shouldn't be hard to implement...

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It can't do it properly with GBA or GBC games. None of the resolutions scale properly, as they're more 240p-console friendly, so the games look stretched/distorted instead of "window boxed" as they should, like Wiimednafen does. Custom Viewports only work on 480i so you can't center the image either.

Also any CRT will benefit from this, even when using composite. It's also does wonders for 240p scalers like the XRGB Mini on HD LCD tvs.

I was just throwing it out there since nobody mentioned it - it's already implemented in SNES9XGX and FCEUGX, and since the codebase is about the same, it shouldn't be hard to implement...

What version of RA are you using?
As for the RGB cables vs Composite: There's a HUGE difference.
Composite will NOT give you PROPER scanlines no matter what.

Composite:
mario_composite.jpg

RGB:
mario_rgb.jpg

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version of RA are you using?
I'm using 1.0.0.2

As for the RGB cables vs Composite: There's a HUGE difference.
Composite will NOT give you PROPER scanlines no matter what.
Well I mostly said even with composite, proper 240p is a huge step-up. They do give you proper scanlines, it also depends on your TV though. On my 21'' TV they look great actually. Generally the larger your tube is, the worse composite gets

ANYWAY: Are those pictures yours? Could you please tell me what you did to get it to look like that? I tried every resolution possible and never got it right. All the 224/240p resolutions stretched the image instead of centering it, giving me distortions. I imagined it was something to do with Integer Scaling but it's always set to On so I don't know

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm using 1.0.0.2

Well I mostly said even with composite, proper 240p is a huge step-up. They do give you proper scanlines, it also depends on your TV though. On my 21'' TV they look great actually. Generally the larger your tube is, the worse composite gets

ANYWAY: Are those pictures yours? Could you please tell me what you did to get it to look like that? I tried every resolution possible and never got it right. All the 224/240p resolutions stretched the image instead of centering it, giving me distortions. I imagined it was something to do with Integer Scaling but it's always set to On so I don't know
CRT monitor rgb capable,
Wii rgb scart cable.
Any emulator set to double strike, original or 640 x 224.
Set ratio to 4:3
Set your tv to output 4:3

OR when using RA:
For instance Snesgx-next:
Use resolution 640 x 448
Set ratio to 4:3
Set your tv to output 4:3
Scanline overlay 90 %, scale 1.07.

There a thread on th libretro forum containing alis with the best setting for every core.
Evern better: get a SLG HD

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CRT monitor rgb capable,
Wii rgb scart cable.
Any emulator set to double strike, original or 640 x 224 (...)

Well that doesn't really help GBA. I know how to setup all consoles and what resolutions they should use. This doesn't make GBA games look nowhere near as good as they do on Wiimednafen, in proper double-strike...

Double-strike modes on RetroArch make GBA games distorted since they stretch the image, as Integer Scaling does NOT work on anything but 480i. The only way to correct this inproper scaling a bit, and seems to be what you're probably doing, is using Bilinear filtering instead of Point filtering, which makes everything look blurrier. And even so, it still won't be a proper 1:1 size image.

awefour44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I second this! I agree 240p would be an amazing addition to VBAGX. Just recently picked up off of craigslist a new-in-box 20-inch Sony WEGA CRT (manufactured March 2006 according to the back label). Had been sitting unused in the guy's storage for over 8 years.

Kinda wish there was a way to play the N64 VC titles in their original 240p as well. The resulting flicker (e.g. in text, HUD elements and menus) in my opinion is not worth the higher rendering resolution.

Reactions: Silentsurvivor

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is possible launch gamecube dol in 240p with sdgecko on wii. Swiss-gc can do this. But i think is possible setup ress on wii homebrew with 1line of code

TheBroCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone have trouble with F-Zero GP Legend? It plays fine for me until about halfway through a race and then it will suddenly get jerky and the map starts flashing.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well that doesn't really help GBA. I know how to setup all consoles and what resolutions they should use. This doesn't make GBA games look nowhere near as good as they do on Wiimednafen, in proper double-strike...

Double-strike mo.des on RetroArch make GBA games distorted since they stretch the image, as Integer Scaling does NOT work on anything but 480i. The only way to correct this inproper scaling a bit, and seems to be what you're probably doing, is using Bilinear filtering instead of Point filtering, which makes everything look blurrier. And even so, it still won't be a proper 1:1 size image.

Okay, here are the exact settings for Retroarch VBA GX Next 1:1 Image since you cannot work it out yourself.

Basicly you have 2 options depending if your flatscreen support the resolutions or if you want to a crt monitor.
Difference is that on a flatscreen you can manipulate the ratio that a REAL GBA carries more easily.
AS you might know, crt work differently and will auto focus their electron beam depending on what signal is fed into them.

These are my settings and they work for me. I am using a Samsung LCD TV.
These settings are for Wii only NOT vWii, since Wii U handles video differently.
The Wii is connected via official Nintendo component cables.
Important: The Wii video is set up in standard Ratio 4:3, My TV is Also setup to 4:3 video. 16:9 DOES NOT WORK FOR THIS METHOD.

Here is Settings option 1: Without Scanline Overlay.( scanlines not possible )

VBA Next Videosettings:
Resolution: 512 x192 P
The presented image will be centered in you screen with the correct ratio.
Add Bil.filter if you want to.

Here is Settings option 1: With Scanline Overlay wich is my preferred setting.
VBA Next Videosettings:
Resolution: 384 x480 P or 640 x 480 p
Integer scale : ON
Aspect Ratio : 3:2 ( 1:1 PAR )
The presented image will be centered in you screen with the correct ratio.
Add Bil.filter if you want to. I have filter set to ON.

Overlay settings:
Opacity : 0.75
Scale : 1.13

Perfect for me, no pixel crawling.

Before Commenting, please read this. http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1585

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I second this! I agree 240p would be an amazing addition to VBAGX. Just recently picked up off of craigslist a new-in-box 20-inch Sony WEGA CRT (manufactured March 2006 according to the back label). Had been sitting unused in the guy's storage for over 8 years.

Kinda wish there was a way to play the N64 VC titles in their original 240p as well. The resulting flicker (e.g. in text, HUD elements and menus) in my opinion is not worth the higher rendering resolution.
240P is only needed if you connect your console to a crt monitor.
This way you will get proper scanlines, yet the ratio is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off.
Remeber CRT tech is very different to lcd, plasma.
In other words ratio cannot be changed without the help of an internal or external scaler.

Generally an arcade monitor does not have scaling options and will present video "as is".
It'just the way the technology works.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
240P is only needed if you connect your console to a crt monitor.
This way you will get proper scanlines, yet the ratio is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off.
Remember CRT tech is very different to lcd, plasma.

Well, 240p works great on my LCD EDTV with component cables. No scanlines but the image is clear, progressive and looks (to me) better than 480p. Biggest issue for me is not every title works in 480p, so I stick with 480i and the shift to 240p is a lot nicer then when 480p shifts to 240p. Another up is bilinear filtering is less aggressive, useful for games that change res, since the blurryness might be more tolerable.

Don't know what you mean by the ratio being off.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, 240p works great on my LCD EDTV with component cables. No scanlines but the image is clear, progressive and looks (to me) better than 480p. Biggest issue for me is not every title works in 480p, so I stick with 480i and the shift to 240p is a lot nicer then when 480p shifts to 240p. Another up is bilinear filtering is less aggressive, useful for games that change res, since the blurryness might be more tolerable.

Don't know what you mean by the ratio being off.
It depend what your manitor does with the input signal.

Anyway,the previous posted settings I did were wrong.Sorry.
I was reverting from notes I made a while back.

Here are the right settings for the people interested:
This will give you the correct ratio for GBA games on RA.
Meaning square pixels with or without proper scanlines via the the included scanline overlay.
Games look absolutely MINT.
Note that the Retroarch Gui is garbled. This is normal and will be fixed in the next release of RA ( around the corner! )

Video settings:
Make sure your Wii is setup for 4:3, very important.
Also make sure your TV is in 16:9 mode. ( this will correct 6% ) resulting in square pixels.

Resolution = 640 x 480P ( DO NOT CHANGE )

Custom ratio/ viewport = 79,88 (position of the viewport, almost if not Centered in screen, fiffle with it but make sure the resolution stay the same.) 480 X 320 ( MUST have these values in order to get the perpect picture )

Scanline options:
Opacity = 0.70 ( standard or press + button to reset. )
Scale = 1.50 ( perfectly aligned scanlines. )

If entered correctly , you will have a boxed, centered screen. Pixel perfect.
Should you wonder why the box is'nt bigger, it cannot be done without sacrificing square pixels.

FYI this is excactly how the official Nintendo gamecube GBA Emulator is presented, Minus the Borders. Borders are black in Ra, but basicly it is the same.

HUUIIRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...