oh ok sorry Spenstar

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tyrantpig said:
Hmmm odd, When ever I enter the pipe in one of the Chozo rooms in 1-2, The game just dies D;

When did you download the patch? The revision posted on the 1st page of this post doesn't have any issues like you mentioned above. There shouldn't be any pipes that cause crash.

Are you talking about a Mario green pipe, or the little grey pipe under the statue? And where did the problem happen?

If anyone else notices anything not working right let me know. There are no beta testers for this. Please send in a PM so there aren't any spoilers.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, I found the working pipe in 1-2. Can't believe I forgot that one.

I have one suggestion: I think it would be a good idea if you place the star coins on the Chozo statue's hands (where the items like missile tanks are). It would give the player the sense of satisfaction for finding it like in Metroid. The "normal" power ups like fire flower are kind of boring there.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:

I have one suggestion: I think it would be a good idea if you place the star coins on the Chozo statue's hands (where the items like missile tanks are). It would give the player the sense of satisfaction for finding it like in Metroid. The "normal" power ups like fire flower are kind of boring there.

I tried that too. The Coin doesn't sit right on it though. It sits either on top of the Chozo covering it up, or off to the side too much. That is why I switched to the ? Block.

If you have any other ideas, don't hold back. I have a lot to figure out, make work, and design. Especially from another Metroid fan.

I still have a lot of tricks up my sleeve for upcoming levels. I am about halfway through Ridley's level. The next release will be soon. Plus some cleanup of the original levels.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
luckwii said:
SpaceJump said:

I tried that too. The Coin doesn't sit right on it though. It sits either on top of the Chozo covering it up, or off to the side too much. That is why I switched to the ? Block.

If you have any other ideas, don't hold back. I have a lot to figure out, make work, and design. Especially from another Metroid fan.

I still have a lot of tricks up my sleeve for upcoming levels. I am about halfway through Ridley's level. The next release will be soon. Plus some cleanup of the original levels.
I think I'd go with the bolded part. The ?-blocks just aren't rewarding enough imo.

Here's an idea for red doors: You could put breakable blocks in front of them so that you would have to use a shell to break them open
wink.gif

And for the 1st level: You could put a ?-block with a mini mushroom where the morph ball is in the original Metroid game. Then after that little morph ball passage another ?-block with a super mushroom. Just thinking...

I'll play the beta again and see if other ideas come into my mind. Again, this is great, so keep on going
smile.gif

tyrantpig

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have never tried the editor myself for NSMB but I used Lunar Magic a bit and I remember you could download custom sprites! What about editing or placing new sprites in such as Ridley and Kraid for the castle bosses?

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tyrantpig said:
I have never tried the editor myself for NSMB but I used Lunar Magic a bit and I remember you could download custom sprites! What about editing or placing new sprites in such as Ridley and Kraid for the castle bosses?

I am working on sprite hacking. It is not easy as the behaviors and mechanics of the bosses will have to be coded into the game in order for them to do anything. I am not a coder, so everything I am doing is crash course learning.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have another idea for the game progression, so the game fluidity feels more like Metroid: You could place a ?-block with shell suit on a Chozo statue (like on the statue where the Long Beam is) and place breakable blocks before a pipe so the order progression is correct like Metroid. You should only have Goombas in that part so shells cannot be used to break the path open. And the shell suit ?-block would have to respawn so you cannot get stuck (don't know if this is possible).

You could do something similar with a Fire Flower. Place spiked enemies on a floor that you would have to shoot in order to advance.

That way you would have the exploration and backtracking similar to Metroid.

Hopefully this is helpfull for you
smile.gif

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have made a lot of corrections and cleaned up most of the levels from the old release. I am also almost done up to the first tower. The newer levels are built, and I am now testing them over and over. The next release is going to be a lot more stable.

The first beta is only a sample, so don't think of them as final level versions. That may be true in other releases as well.

Star coins are now a big part of the game, so make sure and get them all as you go, or you will miss areas and secret rooms.

Next release will be soon.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small update on progress...

I have just about finished up to the first tower. I have been cleaning up the game, and adding more hidden areas. I am going to release another patch as soon as I finish the first world. I released the last version as a beta, however it doesn't necessarily reflect what the final game will be. The final will be way better.

Been hard at work on this game, spending all my free time on it. Don't worry, this will not get abandoned. And it will be extremely good quality. I have been working with Spenstar and SKJmin on perfecting it. I also have had SpaceJump beta testing and giving valuable Metroid insight.

Next release is coming soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!