Homebrew Need help with vWii gc adapter for project M

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we please not turn this into a thread of discussing other games when it doesn't even work on the one it was made for. Yall are adding to drama where it really wasn't needed

I'd say @wilm0x42 's code works exactly as intended. We are just finding ways to break it at this point haha. I was just trying to show that CTGP developers might be open to incorporating it as an "official patch to the mod" as suggested above.

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for the record, I actually developed this in silence because I was an internet introvert, literally lurking everywhere. :P
I just wanted to play Project M with the right controller XD

Anyway, I've been trying to get USBLoaderGX working ALL DAY. ...A little help, please? For starters, what cIOS would I need in order to launch a wii disc game, I.E. Brawl?

D

Deleted User

Could you join the wiiu hbrew discord? i'll explain it. https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-wiiuhomebrew-discord-is-now-open.459693/

EDIT: Or, seeing as you're an introvert ;) you might just want to follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/
umm... you don't need him sent to that discord.
Just for the record, I actually developed this in silence because I was an internet introvert, literally lurking everywhere. :P
I just wanted to play Project M with the right controller XD

Anyway, I've been trying to get USBLoaderGX working ALL DAY. ...A little help, please? For starters, what cIOS would I need in order to launch a wii disc game, I.E. Brawl?
cios250 or cios249 If you look at the vwii noob guide there should be a link for that.

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For starters, what cIOS would I need in order to launch a wii disc game, I.E. Brawl?

The definitive guide linked above is good, but earlier in this thread Cyan suggested we look into installing the "d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii" alt due to the dual USB support. Be sure to have captured a backup of your nand before you start tinkering with these files!!

Procedure for IOS56:
- at "Select cIOS" press right and select "d2x-v10-beta52-vWii" or "d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii" (not recommended)
- at "Select cIOS base" select "56"
- at "Select cIOS slot" select "249"
press A to install → cIOS 249 installed.

Repeat the above procedure for IOS57:
- at "Select cIOS" press right and select "d2x-v10-beta52-vWii" or "d2xv10-beta53-alt-vWii" (not recommended)
- at "Select cIOS base" select "57"
- at "Select cIOS slot" select "250"
press A to install → cIOS 250 installed.

Repeat the above procedure for IOS58:
- at "Select cIOS base" select "58"
- at "Select cIOS slot" select "251"
press A to install → cIOS 251 installed.

EDIT: I don't think we need the Modified IOS 236. Is that a depreciated part of the guide?
EDIT2: According to some random internet person "IOS236 was used to install D2X cIOS without errors using the trucha bug but the newer versions of homebrew channel does that automatically"
EDIT3: MAN! This stuff has documentation nowhere... lots of guessing and checking involved. I just learned Configurable USB Loader MOD (http://cfgusbloader.ntd.homelinux.org/trac/CfgUSBLoader/) isn't compatible with beta53. On beta52 I was able to load SSBB from SD. Applying the gameconfig.txt results in the same "Loading..." lockup we experience with USB Loader GX. This occurs with or without any USB devices connected including just the GCN Adapter. Unless the loader redirection to SD is the issue, this suggests to me that either 1. the gecko implementations of both loaders are near identical or 2. this method is just incompatible with any modern/known CIOS. Full ISO on NTFS partition doesn't change the results.

Last edited by JacobM,
Reactions: MrKatanaObiWan

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wilm was having a bit of issues getting brawl to launch from his drive. Installed d2x beta52 to to 249 250, default configs and brawl appears in the loader. However his Wii apparently black screen hardlocks on game load. Is there anything immediately noticeable as something we may have forgotten? He's going to try his other Wii now but I can't think of what could be wrong. @Cyan this is mostly your turf any ideas

1. Did you install the vWii versions of beta52?
2. Did you try two different USB devices?
3. Any previous history of cIOS installations? What does SysCheck (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SysCheck) say?
4. Are all USB devices unplugged other than the wbfs storage medium?
5. What does the top right corner of the USB Loader GX about/credits page say?

Edit: Where is the literature on how gameconfig.txt works? I can't find anything other than minor variations of the format below. That file doesn't black screen or freeze on "Loading..." but yet a single line of the converted patch crashes the game every time. Do the USB loaders require codeliststart/codelistend/hooktype/pokeifequal variables to be defined?
Code:
RSBE?1:
codeliststart = 80568000
codelistend = 80580000
hooktype = 7
poke(800042B8, 60000000)
pokeifequal(803E9930, 4BFECA1D, 803E9930, 60000000)
pokeifequal(803E99A8, 4BFECA1D, 803E99A8, 60000000)
pokeifequal(803E9D5C, 4BFECA1D, 803E9D5C, 60000000)

Last edited by JacobM,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
things you should take in account:

if you want a minimal setup, I'd recommend d2x r52 base57 in slot 249 (that's all, only one cIOS to install).
r52 has more compatibility with hardware, base57 more compatibility with games.
r52 works only with USB Slot0 (bottom on Wii, back-top on WiiU)
on WiiU, you need a y-cable if your drive is not externally powered.

Like said on previous page, the problem is not the loader but the patch.
it seems the way he did the HID access is not compatible with HDD plugged at the same time.

Of course, you can launch the disc from USBLoaderGX ! it's a good idea to test the patch without a HDD plugged :)
you still need d2x r52 installed, launch the loader and insert the disc. instead of "install" select "mount", go to the game settings to enable hooktype, save the settings, and launch the game.
it should load gameconfig.txt and the patch should not conflict with HDD anymore.

it's a good way to confirm the problem is the patch.

the gameconfig format could be learned by reading the GeckoOS's or a loader's sources.
but it's not complicated, it's really self explanatory.

TitleID of the game (you can have multiple titleID in the same .txt file)
TitleID accept jokers (? for any letter)
poke : write value at specific address
if equal : check current value of specified address 1 with value 1 and poke address 2 with value 2 only if 1 is equal
codelist : edit the "memory range" used to put the Ocarina gct file in memory. for example here to make the memory bigger than the default location for all other games.
hooktype : well, the hooktype to force use for that game

there's another patching format you could use if you want the loader to verify current address before patching : WIP.
the WIP patching format is already a feature in USBLoaderGX, you just but your TitleID6.wip in sd:/wip/ folder, but it's just the same than using gameconfig "pokeifequal"

Last edited by Cyan,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah I noticed that. Oddly enough his fix made things worse for me.

Keep in mind, as I say in the readme, Project M support right now only works with SD cards <= 2GB, but Brawl works with any SD card size to my knowledge. I'm still going to look into this. Ideally, we could just patch the ISO, but I don't know if that's possible with this weird patch file.
Brawl was released before SDHC support was added to the Wii, so it doesn't support SDHC (and therefore neither do the mods or Smash Stack)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, that's too bad :(
then it's maybe really something caused by the loader. Maybe something is not initialized or cleared correctly at game launch.
I'm not very good with memory access and what is required before launching a game (I didn't wrote that part in the loader). Maybe comparing with geckoOS sources could help find any differences.

could you test with wiiflow?
it's also compatible with gameconfig.txt (not sure if you'll have to enable a cheat or not)

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
old version should be fine. gameconfig has been implemented for a long time. old version should work on vwii too.
I didn't follow the development of the new (unofficial) version, but I know there's a thread on this forum.

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the breakdown of the gameconfig.txt what confused me was the range of the codelist values vs the patched values, but it makes sense now.

I figured out it wasn't caused by other USB devices by running the game in CFG Loader using an SD card as mentioned below. I wasn't able to test beta53 under that setup. I'll try to test Wiiflow sometime this week.

EDIT3: MAN! This stuff has documentation nowhere... lots of guessing and checking involved. I just learned Configurable USB Loader MOD (http://cfgusbloader.ntd.homelinux.org/trac/CfgUSBLoader/) isn't compatible with beta53. On beta52 I was able to load SSBB from SD. Applying the gameconfig.txt results in the same "Loading..." lockup we experience with USB Loader GX. This occurs with or without any USB devices connected including just the GCN Adapter. Unless the loader redirection to SD is the issue, this suggests to me that either 1. the gecko implementations of both loaders are near identical or 2. this method is just incompatible with any modern/known CIOS.

there's another patching format you could use if you want the loader to verify current address before patching : WIP.
the WIP patching format is already a feature in USBLoaderGX, you just but your TitleID6.wip in sd:/wip/ folder, but it's just the same than using gameconfig "pokeifequal"
Good to know. Sounds like we need those original values for the next step in poking around.

EDIT: Doesn't the code I posted above allow for huge GCT files? (https://smashboards.com/threads/too-many-codes-issue.408163/)

Last edited by JacobM,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
EDIT: Doesn't the code I posted above allow for huge GCT files?
Yes, that's the purpose of these two lines in the gameconfig.
I don't know if it'll work with all games. The memory range used in gameconfig for SSBB might be specific to that game, a location in memory which the game doesn't access and is free to use to copy the gct content into.
You might need to know which memory range is free for other games.

Cruplezone : sorry that you couldn't use wiiflow.
I never used it, so I don't know how well it's working or not. I just assumed it would work to test different loaders.
maybe CFG loader will work? but I know even less about CFGLoader than Wiiflow.

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan alright sorry for the long update time. Tried cfg loader, hey at least this loader booted the disk. Have gameconfig.txt in /codes/ and on root, but nope, not loading the patches. Couldn't find any settings for SD file patching to enable, just a hooktype option. This is a <2gb card too so sorry looks like looking at other loaders isn't going to be of much help.

Once again using beta53 in all my tests. With gecko patches run fine with a hard drive plugged in the back, but with USB loader endless now loading. So hopefully gecko's sources will be enough?

For CFG Loader, in order to get the gameconfig.txt to load, you need to have a GCT file with at least one active code with the gameconfig.txt placed in /codes/. I tested this yesterday with USB and SD support. Please let us know how it works with disc support.

Gecko OS 1.9.3 had a bugfix for gameconfig.txt poke function released ~Nov 2009. Might explain why we are having an issue with the loaders implementation.

WiiFlow was given a new gecko engine in June 2010 which may have the bugfix implemented. I'm having stability issues with beta53 and usually result with being kicked back to homebrew channel just like in CFGLoader.

Tested with SD and USB loading. WiiFlow either ignores or gets the infinite "Now Loading..." screen. I think we have exhausted our options unless we can acquire the original hex values.

Last edited by JacobM,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y