Need help with vWii gc adapter for project M

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by ada010, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Peninsula

Peninsula GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not quite. Smash mods do work on SDHC cards via the Project M launcher app. However, the app doesn't support .gpf patches, so that's why I said it's not compatible.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can use r52 instead, you'll have better hardware and game compatibility. This patch doesn't rely on the USB driver of the cIOS, so it shouldn't matter where you plug the adapter in, just be sure you put the HDD on USB Port 0.

Having the original value will not make this patch work, it can only be used to verify it's not overwriting another (wrong) memory location.
    but the way gameconfig works currently, it would be even worse, because it's not checking the full memory block and only if matching doing the replacemen, but instead it's checking 8bytes at a time and replaces it if it matches. If one address matches it's replaced, if one doesn't it's left out. But you'll end with a partial patch, breaking the game even more !
    at least, for now, you know you have a full working code. maybe it's not patched properly by the loader, maybe it's not applied to the correct address. Playing from disc maybe maps the memory differently than playing from loaders! I'll have to check the memory with the debugger. (Don't wait for me doing that soon, I didn't touch my wii/wiiu since Xmas, I don't have a lot of times to check it)

I don't know if USBLoaderGX had the fix from Gecko 1.9.3.
    Do you have the patch? or both sources from previous and latest version so I can compare?

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 13, 2018
  3. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    I think the best you're going to get is this unless someone still has it on tjeir computer! code.google.com/archive/p/geckodownloads/downloads

I'm not sure about 1.9.3 but 1.8 was definitely closed source due to piracy concerns. Not sure when they made it open again.

Cyan likes this.
  4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ah, I have both 1.9.2 and 1.9.31 so I can compare :)
    I can always compare 1.9.31 and USBGX too.

edit : functions are not in the same place than usbgx, but I'll try to see if there's anything different. it's maybe not easy as not all geckoOS code are needed/present in the loader.

5. George miller

George miller Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    Totally following these great improvements in these great news.

6. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Ah thanks for the clarification (I believe that used to be an issue with usbloadergx too but was patched so I forgot that I had to put something there.) Anyways looks like it's the same bug. Setup is HDD plugged in the back, adapter in the front. Disc loading, causes infinite loop on the "now Loading screen...." with CFG loader

7. wilm0x42

wilm0x42 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    The loader can't move the relevant segments of memory around without breaking everything; Wii games aren't compiled as position independant code.

Anyway, I'm working on tweaking my code so it can be implemented as a GCT. This should be finished pretty soon.
    Would that fix all of the loader incompatibility problems? ;)

Peninsula, Cyan and JacobM like this.
  8. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    I understand that, but I was thinking the original values could be tried with file patches, GCT file + gameconfig.txt max line, or with WIP support (whatever that is). Don't worry about any of this Cyan! I'm just having fun poking around and researching these topics. Appreciate your always well thought out replies!

I dug through some really old threads, but I couldn't come up with source or patch files. GeckoOS had a fair amount of gameconfig.txt bug fixes and feature implementations late into the GeckoOS development (1.8.0.2-19.3).

WiiPower seemed to be fairly invested in getting gameconfig.txt working properly around the time GeckoOS was being developed. I tried running his NeoGamma R9 beta56 but it is not compatible with Wii Motion+ Inside controllers. It allows disk loading & loading via WBFS partitions. Gameconfig.txt can go either in root, /codes/, or /NeoGamma/

Last edited by JacobM, Mar 13, 2018
  9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You know sometime my answers are only guesses, and I feel I'm not very knowledgeable.
    I also "talks" more than I do things now, missing time is my enemy :( I would love doing more works and release (new/updated) homebrew too.

I took a quick look at GeckoOS and it seems the latest update is what USBLoaderGX is using. it still has some latest added method/variable commented out because USBGX doesn't need them, but it's based on latest version.

Wilm:
    Thanks for converting it to cheat code.
    It shouldn't be too hard if you use the gameconfig as base you already have all the memory addresses, if you need I can probably help too, but the hardest part is copy/paste the big 4k patch.

I hope it will not slowdown the game, as the cheats are re-applied at every cycle (here, VBI cycle), and re-applying 4k per cycle might be noticeable. (or maybe you could set another hooktype to prevent doing it too often)
    I suggest you make a condition to apply it only once.
    you have all the codetype to do this?

TotalInsanity4 and JacobM like this.
  10. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Does this mean that we won't be looking further into getting the GPF version running? I feel like any kind of slowdown would be nice to be avoided.

given the fact that the "now loading" appears even when disc launching w/ usb loader and having only the adapter plugged in leads me to believe there must be some difference

Last edited by cruplezone, Mar 13, 2018
  11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I can still add the gpf patcher into the loader if needed, but it will have the same problem than gameconfig. You tested gameconfig and it works (with geckoOS) so the file is good. Like you noticed, geckoOS works with both gpf or gameconfig, so both method are identical.
    gameconfig files in general are also working fine with the loaders (or else, people wouldn't be able to play the modded version of Smash bros, or gamecube controller patch with kirby), so I think it's neither a problem of the gameconfig implementation, nor the patch process.
    Applying the patch using GPF in usbloaders will have the exact same effect than you all are currently experiencing.

I can still add it as beta test, but I don't want to add a feature officially on next release if the format will be used only for one game. (and we made other patching method available)
    I'm waiting to see if the patch used as cheatcode will have a different result before adding gpf patcher to the loader but don't feel it will have a different result.

maybe we should check both memory when launched from GeckoOS and a loader without the patch applied. Just to be sure the data to replace is located at the same place. If it's identical, then we know the problem is something else caused by loaders, or cIOS. checking and verifying possibilities to narrow the issue, like always :P

edit:
    Oh, one thing we didn't test yet : force the disc to use a cIOS using geckoOS.
    We already tried launching disc from USBLoaders (and therefore using cIOS), but we don't know if using geckoOS+disc+cIOS works or not.
    if GeckoOS+cIOS doesn't work, it will tell us the problem is the cIOS implementation of the interface this patch is using.

To do that, It might require an old console? editing the tmd to replace the required IOS to cIOS slot, and burn a disc (modchip or wiigator launcher)
    there's also the neek method, to launch the game from disc channel but it might need file edition instead, I don't think it's compatible with gameconfig.

12. wilm0x42

wilm0x42 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    I'll be adding GCT support (Both .gct and .txt) to the build system (this is almost done, too), so there shouldn't be any difficulties there.
    There'll also be a new release once the GCT is stable.

Ooh, you have a good point there. Adding the one-time condition should be trivial, and also completely necesary.
    You see, the 4k patch includes the places where the code stores global variables, so overwriting that regularly would break everything.
    Thanks for the tip!
    It's true that there's no guarantee that things'll work flawlessly once the GCT version is done, so any debugging should still be helpful.
    If we encounter more problems, I'll debug various loaders in dolphin. (I really wish I had a USB gecko :P)

frogboy, cruplezone and Peninsula like this.
  13. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    I've got the hardware to test it... but would need in depth instructions of what to do. Of course probably only after we've tested the GCF implementation :)

Last edited by cruplezone, Mar 13, 2018
  14. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    I can get that "Now Loading..." screen lock to occur when SD loading with WiiFlow and CFG Loader with NO USB devices plugged in so I don't think its the presence of any USB device that causes that issue.

That is pretty genius.

I'll see if I can get that working when I'm at my parents house with my old Wii + USB Adapter. I tried exploring the neek method the first day I was messing with this, but emulating a disc only works directly from the disk channel and not from channels/homebrew unless I've been doing something wrong. I tried doing that with CTGP a while back and again for this patch on Friday.

15. wilm0x42

wilm0x42 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    Alright, got it working! I'll let you guys test it a bit before I make a new release.
    Indeed, it's a very long code, so you'll definitely need the gameconfig.txt thing that gives the codelist more room.
    If you want the GPF file for this version, just let me know.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

frogboy and JacobM like this.
  16. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    This is new nice work...

17. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    Wooo! Just started testing and I'm getting the "Now Loading..." loop or only the Wii Remote responding. Should I be running VBI or a different hooktype?

Is this a compatible gameconfig.txt? It's from the hackless Project M files

Code:
    RSB?01:
    codeliststart = 80570000
    codelistend = 80580000
    hooktype = 7
    poke(800042B8, 60000000)
    pokeifequal(803E9930, 4BFECA1D, 803E9930, 60000000)
    pokeifequal(803E99A8, 4BFECA1D, 803E99A8, 60000000)
    pokeifequal(803E9D5C, 4BFECA1D, 803E9D5C, 60000000)

trying without the hooktype line. Probably gonna try a clean SD. My SD became cluttered with files from 4 different loaders over the past few days.

Last edited by JacobM, Mar 14, 2018
  18. wilm0x42

wilm0x42 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    Whatever the default is, it worked for me. ;)
    Man, I'm getting really sick of all the loading screen hangs being reported. I guess I'll have to get USBLoaderGX in dolphin...

19. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    Still stuck on "Now Loading..." with clean SD card with only apps/USBLoaderGX, /codes/, and /txtcodes/ folders on the SD card.

The loading hangup only occurs if:
    1. gameconfig.txt from ProjectM placed in codes folder.
    2. Occurs with and without the hooktype line.
    3. Only if the Gamecube Adapter is connected

Game boots normally:
    1. gameconfig.txt from Project M is not present
    2. ocarina is disabled

Same results with SD loading in CFG Loader

Last edited by JacobM, Mar 14, 2018
  20. wilm0x42

wilm0x42 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    Hmmm... Keep in mind, this IS supposed to support hotplugging of the adapter. In a configuration where it WOULD hang if the adapter is in, try plugging in the adapter after you get to a menu.