Microsoft will debut an all-digital Xbox Series X refresh next year, according to leaked documents

brooklin.png

A new leak has let the cat out of the bag, when it comes to what new hardware Microsoft has in store. Regarding the ongoing Microsoft and FTC court battle over Activision Blizzard, some new classified documents have been leaked. While much of the court document was redacted, certain parts were mistakenly left available for public view, including detailed images and information about upcoming refreshes to the Xbox Series line of consoles.

The leaked roadmap shows that Microsoft plans on releasing a "slim" refresh of the Xbox Series X, with the working name of Project Brooklin. It'll boast more storage, a different physical design, better power usage, a new controller, and some improved internals over the original Xbox Series X. The system will also be digital only.

loPt4m6.png sebile.png stats.png

Project Sebile is the codename for the updated Xbox controller, which sees Bluetooth 5.2, a rechargeable battery, modular thumbstick, and an accelerometer, among other things. Also noted within the document is a "Project Ellewood", which will be a 1TB console, with a retail price of $299.99, presumably the upgraded version of the Xbox Series S, featuring more storage, better Wi-Fi, and reduced power consumption. Additionally, "Edith", another codename for what appears to be the Xbox Series S, will be priced at $199 for Black Friday to push sales for the older system. Meanwhile, Microsoft plans to announce the "end of life" for Starkville, though it's not specified for what system that may be.

time.png

While things may change, and the document might be out of date by now, as it was originally shown to the FTC in October 2022, the graph shows that Microsoft plans on releasing the new Xbox controller sometime in May or June of 2024, with the announcement of both Project Ellewood and Brooklin to follow shortly after. An actual release timeframe for the Xbox Series S refresh is set for the end of August 2024, and the Xbox Series X refresh to follow shortly at the end of October 2024.

:arrow: Source

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Will the rumoured Switch 2 be the only console to still have physical games, or is this the end of an era?
Post automatically merged:

You will own nothing and like it.
Apart from downloading ROMs and the like, anyway, but not every game will be fortunate enough to be backed up - which is unfortunate for us.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Additionally, "Edith", another codename for what appears to be the Xbox Series S, will be priced at $199 for Black Friday to push sales for the older system. Meanwhile, Microsoft plans to announce the "end of life" for Starkville, though it's not specified for what system that may be.​
Hasn't it already been $199? Is that really going to move units off shelves??

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Hasn't it already been $199? Is that really going to move units off shelves??
For Prime Day 2023 and Black Friday 2022.

Given the document is from late 2022, though, there's enough leeway to assume things changed, or plans got shifted up. A new 1TB version of the Series S has already been out as well, though whether it's the one with the new codename from the document, I'm not sure.

• Wow
Reactions: Megadriver94

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The new Xbox SX looks like one of those air freshener things from Glade.
It was to be expected, but seems weird, as there are plenty of disks around, and eliminating the disk drive will make those same disks useless.

I'd like to see a console, all digital, yeah? And like, for the physical lovers out there, an external drive to connect to the console, yeah? Seems reasonable, yeah?
Like, wassup, guys? Why you no make things?

Reactions: Blythe93

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Will the rumoured Switch 2 be the only console to still have physical games, or is this the end of an era?
Likely, but I honestly don't see the point of them keeping a cartridge slot when they allow games to be incomplete in the cartridge itself, there are countless examples of this on the nintendo switch.

And I know that a lot of times this happens because they don't produce cartridges with enough storage for such games due to costs, so what is the point having them to begin with?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Likely, but I honestly don't see the point of them keeping a cartridge slot when they allow games to be incomplete in the cartridge itself, there are countless examples of this on the nintendo switch.

And I know that a lot of times this happens because they don't produce cartridges with enough storage for such games due to costs, so what is the point having them to begin with?

It's still better from an ease of use and DRM perspective.

We sell the 'code in a box' at work and some people struggle with them e.g. 'how do I redeem the game?', 'where is my game?', etc.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Microsoft force gaming hardware to digital only right now!

What a very bad move!

That's why I refuse support Microsoft anymore. I'm glad never own any Xbox consoles for myself. Few of my cousins had Xbox consoles but sad news then all Xbox consoles will end up in e-recycle. RIP Xbox consoles.

If what happened if Sony and Nintendo force gaming consoles to digital only then I have right to cut off support and refuse give my money for companies in near future then I can rest on gaming PC computers forever.

Digital only of gaming consoles are very bad and total catastrophic! :(

RIP digital gaming consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto