Microsoft to shut down Xbox 360 Store next year

LnXLmtj.png

The time has finally come. Microsoft has announced that they'll be shuttering the Xbox 360 Store and Xbox 360 Marketplace next year. On July 29, 2024, users will no longer be able to buy games or DLC on the Xbox 360. Fortunately, if you have a library of 360 titles, you'll still be able to access them, though if you ever purchased TV shows or movies on your Xbox 360 console, you won't be able to access those after that date, and will instead be relegated to watching them on the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, or Windows 10/11. Those using modern Xbox consoles will also still have access to backwards compatible 360 games, and the option to purchase those titles specifically. Xbox Live on the 360 will still be kept online, allowing players to still access multiplayer servers for games that still support it.

:arrow: Source

adamsef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow has that been 18 years already!
I have nothing but fond memories of my Xbox 360! A buzzing hive of activity full of fun and a sense of community… meeting new people on games and having fun..
I remember getting a ps3 a year later and it was a lonely cold place (good games etc) not a patch on what ms brought a year prior..
Sad to see store go but all good things come to an end

Reactions: ZDA

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, they kept the servers online for nearly 20 years. It is sad to see this era of gaming getting killed, but gg to Microsoft for supporting this platform so long.

Reactions: ZDA

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still low, but high compared to Xbox One and Series controllers. Chance is almost 0 lol. Rare update Dpad strafing plx
Trouble for me is in no case are any of the xbox family of controllers built for the aim and sidestep method that the original (and thus remake, even if it is superior in every other way and nobody should even be considering the N64 effort if the XBLA offering is on the cards) are quite clearly built around. Indeed no nice sidestep* might be a greater casualty of Halo redefining things for most than speed or massive inventories.
*was playing dying light for the first time fairly recently and for a first person sidestep it does it well so maybe there is hope.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to push the few people that didn't upgrade yet.

I wonder when they going to drop Xbox 360 online support altogether.
Which is a shame.
Xbox One/s/x is easy to upgrade storage, but a cynical performance upgrade.
Without an optical drive, Series S has no appeal at all. And the proprietary storage requirements for the Series X are and will be a problem. Not if, but when.

If the Series X storage was as easy to upgrade as the ps4 or ps5, Sony wouldn't even be in the conversation for me.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For xbl, there's still the master server(s) at Microsoft that need to route people into respective lobbies.

If games supported system link, it wouldn't care which generation of console was running it.
Hm... But considering that a lot of the games are compatible with the newest consoles, I'm positive they won't shut them down that quickly.

Time will tell, I guess.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... But considering that a lot of the games are compatible with the newest consoles, I'm positive they won't shut them down that quickly.

Time will tell, I guess.
It's more a matter of protocol.

Crimson skies was able to work across all four generations of consoles linked together, using system link.

For the Xbox live protocol, Microsoft is the gatekeeper and can dictate the minimum compatibility to return an accepted response.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's very sad news for everyone. I'm never fans of Xbox consoles because of Microsoft due to big problems in side. Everyone should stick with physical copies of disc games to keep play forever without internet required.

I'm not fans of Windows store that built in Windows 8 to Windows 12. All on Windows store are garbage and full of s**t like worst DRM made by Microsoft! Microsoft company is pure 😈 👿 :evil: evil that love to drain all our and people money to throw away! That's why I refuse to support Microsoft anymore. Linux operating system will become my everyday to use in near future then dump Windows operating system away. Double thumb down to Microsoft company! 👎👎

Windows store (Microsoft company did pull all offline for Windows 8 / 8.1 (RIP) are unable to download anymore then will affect Windows 10 in next few years and Windows 11 later in next between 5 - 12 years then cut support off then will affect Windows 12, etc in the future) and Xbox store online are not good because of very short life when Microsoft company would kill off like cut support off that would affect most people get very angry and frustrate so much. Same like Nintendo and Sony PlayStation did to own digital store online.

Few of my family & friends and cousin had Xbox consoles. How sad news going on. :(

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While shutting down digital stores for consoles is always awful, at least Microsoft makes an effort for backwards compatibility.
I can't even play the PS1 games I bought on PS3 on my PS4 or PS5, let alone the PS2 games I bought (also emulated on the PS3!) that I can't play.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd think it would make sense to merge the stores into one.

Just because its not your current console, doesn't mean people don't still play them.

End of the day, you have purchased a games console, to play games, with the vast amount of games that get released, it would be impossible to have bought them all.

So thats why you should never invest in digital only services.

Just because they say its over, doesn't mean its over when you still enjoy playing games on that console.

At least while we still have consoles that use physical games (we all know Micro$hit wants to force digital only), we can still enjoy playing games and able to buy them 2nd hand.

But if the idiots today that pretty much have been brainwashed, keep supporting digital only services or giving MS the excuse to ditch physical games by buying digital shit that they can pull the plug at any given time.

Then your the one left with fuck all but a last gen console that has no value when trading in, good luck trying to put that towards part exchange for the next generation consoles, as loads of people do.

The only ones profiting from this digital shit are the devs and MS/Sony/Nintendo.

They hate seeing collectors with back library of games that increase in value, so putting a stop to pre owned games.... sorry I mean pushing digital only is the end result and mission accomplished.

Reactions: console

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guesssing all the titles have been dumped and archived by this point. There's still some games like the HD version of Guardian Heroes that still haven't been released anywhere else apart from the 360.
what sucks is that the 360 hacking scene has been incredibly stagnant last i heard, and the only way to play back-ups is if you're lucky to have a Jasper unit that can still be Jtagged since future xbox systems (while offering backward compatibility of older purchased titles) are nearly impossible to crack

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what sucks is that the 360 hacking scene has been incredibly stagnant last i heard, and the only way to play back-ups is if you're lucky to have a Jasper unit that can still be Jtagged since future xbox systems (while offering backward compatibility of older purchased titles) are nearly impossible to crack
There could always be more but if JTAG kernel capable Jasper (and earlier) is your last interaction then there is a whole lot more -- RGH and then RGH2 both followed that and allow almost all but the newest of new models on almost any kernel. Bit more annoying (many wires chip in the PS1 sense of the term rather than contents of any nerd's electronics components drawer, and time to boot can be higher than is ideal)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-hack-your-360.334203/

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of the 30 or so systems I've modded, the 360 is one I decided to just buy modded. Couldn't be bothered. It works. I'm set.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully it'll still be possible to download backwards compatible games on Xbox One and then redownload them on 360.
you can, they already confirmed this. You can buy a x360 game on xbox one/series s/x even after the closure date and redownload the game on your x360 (assuming its the same account). Game already purchased on x360 before the date can also be redownload on the xbox360 as well. So really the only thing that being changed is the ability to buy x360 games on x360 after the closure date. At least they are not like nintendo were they lock you out of your purchased games that need to be re-downloaded....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto