OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Please can you add version changelog to the 1st post so we will know when there is an update without going through pages on this post? I know there is the text “edited...” down under that post but it’s almost not visible and it doesn’t necessarily mean the MediCat was updated.
I upload every 6 months, in April and October, just like Lubuntu does. That's my release schedule, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I only upload small version changes if there's a major patch I need to roll out. My upload bandwidth is garbage, so I'll probably just upload via torrent going forward.

Smexhy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
I know there are only bigger updates, but still it would be better just to show it right away in the first post than searching the text file in the cloud drive.

Thanks for letting me know months when you are updating it though. Maybe you can let everyone know in the 1st post too.

Really like this bundle of tools you made it’s pleasure to use.

Last edited by Smexhy,

Lexor

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My upload bandwidth is garbage, so I'll probably just upload via torrent going forward.
Have you noticed my question about plans to re-upload 18.10 file on Google Drive (preferably in packed format)?
It was in the last post on previous page of this thread so maybe you missed it as there is no answer from you yet. :)

Also, please do not use torrent only for future releases as Google Drive is the only reliable source for me to download your project (and I think I'm not the only one).

onlyme1212

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I have used from 2017 to 2019 medicat 17, with good results for helpdesk, I tried medicat 19 usb full version with lubuntu, all tool for recovery lost password of computer not works, Offline Nt password fail on different computer with the same message "not possible reset password, verify is not a blank password" and other tools for same problem not work, the other tools for same problem not start. I must use the dvd of windows 10 for change password. someone had the same problem?

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Project is still active.
This project is absolutely free to use; I do not charge anything for MediCat USB.
The full MediCat USB aims to replace Hiren's Boot CD/DVD, for bleeding edge computers.
Derivative projects are allowed and encouraged.
MediCat USB is clean of viruses, malware, or any kind of malicious code.
Modify MediCat's ISOs and menus as you see fit with UltraISO.
USB bootable using Rufus, or similar USB tools.
Now has a page on http://alternativeto.net/software/medicat-dvd/
Gluten-free, non-GMO, gender neutral, and no trans-fats!

MediCat History:
I run a PC repair service out of my home called Reset Computers. As a seasoned PC Technician (A+ Certified by CompTIA) in the field for 16 years, I could never find a software toolbox that could fit my personal needs.... Until I found YUMI, which allowed me to customize my own. That got me making multiboot USB sticks, and all was great. However, some older hardware (and picky computers) wouldn't boot from them, rendering them useless. Even the F-key boot menu wouldn't work. Sometimes the BIOS just doesn't support bootable USB sticks for whatever reason, even when set to Legacy Boot in the BIOS settings. So I made a bootable DVD variety, for those finicky computers that refuse to (or can't) boot from USB. So I created a bootable ISO called MediCat DVD in early 2012. I kept working on it and kept it updated whenever I needed to, but never thought about releasing it. The first public release wasn't until February 2nd, 2014. I had a stable home and job so I figured, 'why not?'. Now the projct has outgrown DVD-R media, and is known as MediCat USB.

The Project Objective:
My overall goal of this project is to continue where Hiren's Boot CD/DVD left off in 2012; Provide a simplified menu system that's completely overloaded with useful PC tools, be easy to navigate, and remain aesthetically pleasing to technicians. I wanted something elegant, but not too distracting. I didn't want it to come across as too technical-looking, or confusing. So I did what I could to spruce things up, within the constraints of SYSLINUX. MediCat USB is made with modern computers in mind.

ISO Testing:
I periodically test my ISOs in Virtualbox and VMware, whenever I make enough drastic changes in UltraISO. I also test out the USB and versions across different hardware in my home, to make sure it works across as many hardware configs as possible. All the artwork was generated by myself from scratch in Photoshop (Yes, I have borrowed and re-purposed the Nyan Cat), and all menus have been completely re-written to function as I needed them to. Constant testing to make sure the boot paths are correct takes a large part of my time, but is always necessary.

Click the Google Drive or MEGA buttons below for the
download directory, or the Torrent button for the Torrent:

View attachment 122400
View attachment 110137
View attachment 147475

View attachment 184339

Please Follow these steps to help you make a bootable USB stick successfully:

First thing to do is disable any "Real-Time Scanning" in your antivirus apps, including Windows Defender!!!
(Otherwise you will have apps get deleted from your USB drive during creation, and things won't work properly.)

View attachment 184340

MediCat USB Screenshots:

View attachment 184332 View attachment 184333 View attachment 184336 View attachment 184331 View attachment 184334 View attachment 184337 View attachment 184330 View attachment 184338

Lubuntu Screenshots:

View attachment 184335

Mini Windows 10:

View attachment 184341

View attachment 50594
DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <[email protected]>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.
For more information about the WTFPL: http://www.wtfpl.net/about/

Concerning Donations:

Please understand™:
As much as I appreciate you guys wanting to donate to me, I can't accept donations... This project is my labor of love. It's my way to give back to the tech industry. And it's just overall fun to work on. I have no financial need, so I wouldn't benefit from donations.

However, there are many smaller projects you can direct your donations to (listed below), as they help keep MediCat alive:

GBATemp's Patreon page

4MLinux

Snappy Driver Installer

Lubuntu

Gparted

PortableApps

Giving Center / Computers with Causes

FAQs:

Can I run the PortableApps on my current PC without MediCat?"

Yes, just mount the MediCat ISO image or USB, and open Start.exe to launch the platform. These are the same exact apps that get loaded within Mini Windows 10. So if you update them, they will show up updated in Mini Windows 10 as well.

"Can I add or swap out the PortableApps with different ones?"

Absolutely, I encourage it! Please feel free to modify MediCat to YOUR individual needs! :D Just keep in mind, not all PortableApps will launch under Mini Windows 10, but should launch just fine in Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. I have not tested them in Windows XP, so your mileage in XP may vary. Microsoft's .Net 2.0 Framework is the minimum requirement.

"Can I install Mini Windows 10 as my main OS?"

No, it doesn't work like that. It's a WinPE image (Windows Pre-install Environment) that runs in memory. It's primary use is to troubleshoot a troublesome PC.

"Is it free?"

Absolutely. I will never charge money for MediCat, or accept donations. However, fell free to share your ideas, questions, and concerns in this thread. That's how you can give back. :)

"How often will this be updated?"
All included ISOs on the DVD image will be updated to their latest versions, shortly following each release of Lubuntu every 6 months (April and October). The links here will always be the latest version. The PortableApps are easily updatable by the user, once they have been 'burned' to USB.

"My computer won't boot from USB, what's up?"
Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from a USB drive first. If using a PC with an EFI, try disabling Secure Boot, and enable legacy/CSM booting if the option is there. Alternatively, there's usually an F-key Boot Menu you can bring up during POST. (Mine is F9, yours may be F2, F10, F12, etc.)

"If anyone can make these bootable USB sticks, what makes yours so special?"
Nothing, really. Just simplicity, and convenience on my part. Everything is subjective to opinion of usefulness. My software suite may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if it helps you in the field, yay!​
Hey bud, thanks for the work.

I noticed there's a folder called installwindows10 on the USB.

If I copy the contents of a Windows 10 USB to this folder would it install. I know prob a stupid question but I currently have a separate drive for Windows 10 so this would be super convenient.

fastok

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey bud, thanks for the work.

I noticed there's a folder called installwindows10 on the USB.

If I copy the contents of a Windows 10 USB to this folder would it install. I know prob a stupid question but I currently have a separate drive for Windows 10 so this would be super convenient.

Like you, i saw this entry,i tried to put windows iso in the right directory but it doesn't work.I didn't find any info about using medcat usb drive to install windows as a "boot device".
I'd like to know how to do it,because i have only one USB flash drive and to reinstall windows right now i have to remove all content including medicat on it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Like you, i saw this entry,i tried to put windows iso in the right directory but it doesn't work.I didn't find any info about using medcat usb drive to install windows as a "boot device".
I'd like to know how to do it,because i have only one USB flash drive and to reinstall windows right now i have to remove all content including medicat on it.
You have to extract the iso's files into this folder.

fastok

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have to extract the iso's files into this folder.

Thx for answer.
Unfortunatly i did that and it's not working.I've got error 28 and error 62. Error 62.jpg Error 28.jpg

DoItRight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jayro Did some testing here and Lubuntu install fails on medicat.v18.10.stable and medicat.v19.10.stable with:

Installation Failed

Bad unsquash configuration

The source filesystem "/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs" does not exist

But when creating a lubuntu 18.1 or 19.1 boot disk on the same usb drive with rufus, it successfully installs.

It is unclear to me what is going on, do you have any ideas?

Last edited by DoItRight,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
@Jayro Did some testing here and Lubuntu install fails on medicat.v18.10.stable and medicat.v19.10.stable with:

Installation Failed

Bad unsquash configuration

The source filesystem "/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs" does not exist

But when creating a lubuntu 18.1 or 19.1 boot disk on the same usb drive with rufus, it successfully installs.

It is unclear to me what is going on, do you have any ideas?
Possibly a corrupt download? That's all I can think of.

Smexhy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
Seems like malwarebytes is not updating on that windowsPE even with ethernet connected. (Malwarebytes from legacy usb medicat)

and is it possible to somehow have full access when browsing system files in finder? Cant remove rename or do anything when on mini windows. Or is it limited by windows? Should I just use linux when making changes to system files?

Last edited by Smexhy,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems like malwarebytes is not updating on that windowsPE even with ethernet connected. (Malwarebytes from legacy usb medicat)

and is it possible to somehow have full access when browsing system files in finder? Cant remove rename or do anything when on mini windows. Or is it limited by windows? Should I just use linux when making changes to system files?
I would use Windows or Linux.

Reactions: Smexhy

DoItRight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Attempted to use the drive to install W10 using the instruction you gave @fastok by using 7zip to extract "Win10_1909_EnglishInternational_x64.iso" and then putting those 4 folders and 4 files in the "InstallWindows10" folder, but I also got error 28.

Redownloaded the medicat_v19.10.stable.iso torrent and verified the local data, made a drive with rufus, and still got "Bad unsquash configuration".

Downloaded the "lubuntu-19.10-desktop-amd64.iso" from lubuntu's site and replaced medicatUSB\Lubuntu\casper\filesystem.squashfs with \lubuntu-19.10-desktop-amd64\casper\filesystem.squashfs but still got "Bad unsquash configuration".

I love the idea of this tool and the UBCD is still super useful, so I dearly want to get W10 and lubuntu installs working so I can actually keep an all-in-one drive with me. @Jayro Thanks for the hard work! Let me know what I can do to help. Also, you might want to put something in the first post about the extra steps for using the Windows installer (For newcomers).

Last edited by DoItRight,

bobdobalina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologizd if you've answered this before, but I'm using the mini windows 10 version with the portable apps. I'm trying to scan my main C:\ drive with malware and antivirus, but they are only scanning the X and Y drive which is what the usb stick contains. I don't see any sort of config or option to change it...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I apologizd if you've answered this before, but I'm using the mini windows 10 version with the portable apps. I'm trying to scan my main C:\ drive with malware and antivirus, but they are only scanning the X and Y drive which is what the usb stick contains. I don't see any sort of config or option to change it...
You have to run a custom scan, and then point it to your Windows drive. It likely won't be C:/, you'll have to check each drive to see what the real drive letter is.

mathwoj6

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
can you re up the google drive mini windows 10 ? can't download it .
THX

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you re up the mini win10 file on gdrive ? thx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro