• Replies 3,952
  • Likes 278

Stormgald

Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks for you're development of medicat, it's great
i have a question , it's possible to create ssd boot with medicat on this ssd extern ?
sorry for my english

EgyptianRaptor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I understand the concept regarding having 2 editions, but for my needs I need one that I can boot both MBR and has your mini windows. So Can I get your mini windows and extract some folders from it and put it in the MBR one so I can have both?? if so what can I modify to be able to achieve that.
If not Can I burn the 2 images on one Flash Disk using YUMI?? Thanks.

kgvelkov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having a problem with adding Windows 10 x64 to the USB - when the installer loads, I get the error "A media driver your computer needs is missing." after choosing the language and timezone.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a problem with adding Windows 10 x64 to the USB - when the installer loads, I get the error "A media driver your computer needs is missing." after choosing the language and timezone.
That seems to be a common thing people are saying, and I'm hoping my new UEFI-only version I'm working on will fix that. I still need to do more testing, and I have an new SSD on order for after the new year.

Graveen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Jayro

Can you tell me if UEFI only can boot various ISO (such as LUbuntu, PE-based, etc...) ?
If yes, can you point me how to include them ? Thank you !

TheGoldBreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi! First, thanks for your système and your support!

I have a Little issue since few months, since I use MediCat (18.10):

When I mount it with Rufus, or with command Line (DiskPart) , I Nevers have the MediCat menu and thé système voit directly on Windows 10 but I really have mount theMediCat ISO ...
I've try many things, like test the ISO with VritualBox and it working fine.

So, where am I wrong? I want to know for m'y curiosity :)

( For your 19.10 I can't boot m'y Key on UEFI with MediCat ISO but as I Can read in previous post, this ISO is only for MBR boot, right? )

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi! First, thanks for your système and your support!

I have a Little issue since few months, since I use MediCat (18.10):

When I mount it with Rufus, or with command Line (DiskPart) , I Nevers have the MediCat menu and thé système voit directly on Windows 10 but I really have mount theMediCat ISO ...
I've try many things, like test the ISO with VritualBox and it working fine.

So, where am I wrong? I want to know for m'y curiosity :)

( For your 19.10 I can't boot m'y Key on UEFI with MediCat ISO but as I Can read in previous post, this ISO is only for MBR boot, right? )
Yes, it's only for MBR/CSM booting. Booting in UEFI will only bring up the windows recovery menu.

JonW82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi, this program looks fantastic, I just wanted to clarify a few things because of the different versions, and I'm not sure which one to download. I'm planning a Windows install, and have been learning a lot about installations in the last week or so.

I want to do a dual boot situation (on 2 PC's) with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

First PC - Windows 7 and Windows 10 with CSM enabled, GPT and UEFI.
Second PC - Windows 7 and Windows 10 with CSM enabled, MBR and Legacy.

Is there one version I can use for both of these situations (because CSM is on for both because Windows 7 needs it), or do I need two separate USB sticks with 2 different versions.

Do I need "Mini Windows 10" (with portable apps) for First PC. And Medicat USB for Second PC? Or is there an option where I can use one for both of them? It's not a big deal to get two USB sticks, it'd just be easier if I could use the same stick for everything. And also I just wanted to clarify that I understand all of this properly. I'm pretty sure I need two separate USB sticks, but could you confirm?

And that "Medicat USB" contains everything (choosing options in it's own boot menu), but it will load Windows 10 Mini in legacy mode. Where as "Mini Windows 10" will load UEFI windows with no boot menu, and will go straight into Windows with no other options?

Is it possible to install different Windows versions (XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 10) from within Mini Windows 10 and it will automatically load NVME and USB3.0 drivers?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, this program looks fantastic, I just wanted to clarify a few things because of the different versions, and I'm not sure which one to download. I'm planning a Windows install, and have been learning a lot about installations in the last week or so.

I want to do a dual boot situation (on 2 PC's) with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

First PC - Windows 7 and Windows 10 with CSM enabled, GPT and UEFI.
Second PC - Windows 7 and Windows 10 with CSM enabled, MBR and Legacy.

Is there one version I can use for both of these situations (because CSM is on for both because Windows 7 needs it), or do I need two separate USB sticks with 2 different versions.

Do I need "Mini Windows 10" (with portable apps) for First PC. And Medicat USB for Second PC? Or is there an option where I can use one for both of them? It's not a big deal to get two USB sticks, it'd just be easier if I could use the same stick for everything. And also I just wanted to clarify that I understand all of this properly. I'm pretty sure I need two separate USB sticks, but could you confirm?

And that "Medicat USB" contains everything (choosing options in it's own boot menu), but it will load Windows 10 Mini in legacy mode. Where as "Mini Windows 10" will load UEFI windows with no boot menu, and will go straight into Windows with no other options?

Is it possible to install different Windows versions (XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 10) from within Mini Windows 10 and it will automatically load NVME and USB3.0 drivers?
Yes, you will indeed need two USB sticks, but I'm hoping to drop the CSM version here real soon, since Windows 7 support is officially ending. As for installing Windows, I'd recommend using Rufus within Mini Windows 10 to install Windows using the WindowsToGo option. Then when you boot up the drive windows installed to, it's as if you just turned on a new computer, and will finalize the installation.

Reactions: JonW82

JonW82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks again for making and sharing your tool, it's a great combination of things.. like a swiss army knife that has 100 blades. I haven't used it yet but I've watched a few videos and it looks great. Really polished and a bunch of functional useful stuff in there.

Also.. I will dive deeper into this Rufus - WindowsToGo option that you mentioned.

Just another quick thing.. to be recognised by the BIOS (especially in UEFI) the drives need to be formatted for FAT32 format.

The official Windows spec is that 32GB is the limit for the size of the flash drive. But with free third party tools (like FAT32 Fomatter - guiformat.exe), there is a way to format any drive in FAT32 format. Even 500G HDD's. The main drawback is the 4GB max file size, but since we are worrying about boot drives and BIOS recognition, this is already an issue. I was just going to ask if you know of anyone who has successfully been able to use Medicat with 64GB or larger flash drives. I'm thinking about buying some larger flash drives and seeing if I can put all the OS ISO's and Medicat on the same flash drive. In theory it should work but just wondering if there's anyone in the thread (or yourself) that has had first hand experience. I know there's some users of TV's or digital cameras that have been successfully able to use the larger drives with FAT32.

edit - A bit of a random side comment, but there is a way to get Windows 7 to boot with CSM disabled, so it will be possible to use the tool going forwards even with the changes you plan to make. It involves some cmd commands relating to a VGA driver. About ten lines or so.. that can be run as a batch file, after the restart, Windows 7 will then be able to boot with CSM off. It's still not running in full UEFI mode.. but it will allow a dual boot situation with Windows 10 with CSM disabled. In terms of end of life, I'm typing this on a Windows 7 system at the moment, that hasn't been updated since May or June last year. Not for any specific reason, I simply forgot to update. All fine so far. But generally, I plan to run it for a year or two and if the universe ends, I'll just switch to Windows 10 pre installed on the same M2 drive. In terms of security, hopefully an AMD Ryzen 3000 series CPU will help with that. Eventually, switching over will be inevitable though due to driver support etc.

Last edited by JonW82,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for making and sharing your tool, it's a great combination of things.. like a swiss army knife that has 100 blades. I haven't used it yet but I've watched a few videos and it looks great. Really polished and a bunch of functional useful stuff in there.

Also.. I will dive deeper into this Rufus - WindowsToGo option that you mentioned.

Just another quick thing.. to be recognised by the BIOS (especially in UEFI) the drives need to be formatted for FAT32 format.

The official Windows spec is that 32GB is the limit for the size of the flash drive. But with free third party tools (like FAT32 Fomatter - guiformat.exe), there is a way to format any drive in FAT32 format. Even 500G HDD's. The main drawback is the 4GB max file size, but since we are worrying about boot drives and BIOS recognition, this is already an issue. I was just going to ask if you know of anyone who has successfully been able to use Medicat with 64GB or larger flash drives. I'm thinking about buying some larger flash drives and seeing if I can put all the OS ISO's and Medicat on the same flash drive. In theory it should work but just wondering if there's anyone in the thread (or yourself) that has had first hand experience. I know there's some users of TV's or digital cameras that have been successfully able to use the larger drives with FAT32.

edit - A bit of a random side comment, but there is a way to get Windows 7 to boot with CSM disabled, so it will be possible to use the tool going forwards even with the changes you plan to make. It involves some cmd commands relating to a VGA driver. About ten lines or so.. that can be run as a batch file, after the restart, Windows 7 will then be able to boot with CSM off. It's still not running in full UEFI mode.. but it will allow a dual boot situation with Windows 10 with CSM disabled. In terms of end of life, I'm typing this on a Windows 7 system at the moment, that hasn't been updated since May or June last year. Not for any specific reason, I simply forgot to update. All fine so far. But generally, I plan to run it for a year or two and if the universe ends, I'll just switch to Windows 10 pre installed on the same M2 drive. In terms of security, hopefully an AMD Ryzen 3000 series CPU will help with that. Eventually, switching over will be inevitable though due to driver support etc.
And also regarding security, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed, because it protects against CPU flaws, and generally more hardware stability and compatibility.

OllieD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for spending the time making this fantastic toolkit.
Seeding the torrents on a gigabit link from a UK data centre B-)

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya