• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Mass tagging reddit users - What are your thoughts?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
So this thread is half me shilling (what I think) is a very useful extension, and half me wanting to be curious as to what people think of this type of concept. Given how the extension is by it's nature political, I think the best place to post it would be here, but apologies if I'm wrong about that.

So basically, there is this reddit extension called masstagger, made by /u/morpen. It's purpose is to tag posters to far-right reactionary subreddits (the_donald 'n co.) as well as "manosphere subs" (subreddits like incels or MGTOW), Nazi subs (honestly, take your pick) and the more "gateway"-esque communities to these kinds of spheres (TumblrInAction, SJW-hate subs, furry hating subs).

If you want to see if you've been included in this tagging database, go to https://masstagger.com/user/<reddit_username> . In addition, if you have the extension installed, you can whitelist people at that page.

The extension is very configurable and let's you select colors for each individual sub (it defaults to red for all subs) and a minimum posting threshold or disable specific subreddits.

Now for the discussion portion:

What are your thoughts about this type of extension. The concept obviously isn't new, sites that can issue RES tags based on sub activity have existed before (this extension specifically was born out of a RES tagging list, which eventually got unwieldy, so the data was moved to a proper server). The advantage of this is that these comments are listed forever, meaning that even if a subreddit gets banned (like the recent QAnon subs or incels), a user will still be registered in the database.

My opinion is that I find it to be an incredibly handy extension, as it makes it easy to discover when a user is likely to be arguing in bad faith (as in: they're not arguing for the sake of argument, but they're arguing to recruit people into the alt-right or whatever other shitty ideology they frequent).

I've seen people compare it to "yellow starring the Jews" (then again, this extension gives the handy insight that this type of comment is mainly from CringeAnarchy/drama posters, so take it as you wish), but I personally believe this doesn't really apply, because unlike the starring of the Jews in WW2, the choice to post in those types of subs is voluntary, unlike the way the Nazis determined who was Jewish and who wasn't.

Last edited by Ev1l0rd, , Reason: morpen, not morphen

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wasn't a similar extension used by white supremacists to quite literally just tag Jews?... how is behavior like that prevented here?
This extension is closed source and the developer has to add subs manually (to which the easiest way is contacting the dev on reddit through PMs or on the /r/masstagger sub), which prevents this behavior.

From what I've seen in the weeks I've used this extension by now, the dev is rather fast with adding new subreddits to the list and hasn't added any subs that were submitted by obvious shits in a malicious attempt to do what you just described.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't a similar extension used by white supremacists to quite literally just tag Jews?... how is behavior like that prevented here?
It isn't prevented, the use of the tool is up to the individual user. At the same time, you're probably not going to know who on Reddit is Jewish unless you're making a whole lot of assumptions. It's more just to avoid people from subs you don't like, or recognize when you're being trolled or getting roped into a bad faith conversation.

Last edited by Xzi,

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone can use it to tag users from literally any sub, so it's not a huge deal. Maybe if you don't want to be identified as a user from a certain sub, you shouldn't post there?

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's sorta judging a book by its cover, no? Everyone freaked out when the alt-right used something like this to know which people were "SJWs" or "Clinton supporters" and hound them for it. Now the shoe's on the other foot, and I find it equally distasteful. Regardless, Reddit's a cesspool anyway.

(Tho, if it keeps me away from leftover incels...lol)

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems pointless. People post on those subs to oppose those ideas. People troll. People get lost. People use alt accounts. So really there's no point to this.

Eh, you can use it to help determine whether or not someone is arguing in bad faith. Save yourself some time from engaging someone who clearly has a predetermined opinion rather than someone who is genuinely unsure.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems pointless. People post on those subs to oppose those ideas. People troll. People get lost. People use alt accounts. So really there's no point to this.

k, i agree with a lot of that, but you don't just get lost in these crazy subreddits and become an active member without agreeing with these places, thus making your inclusion justified.

also, if it also gets rid of trolls, all the better

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
My problem with this is that people will no longer want to talk to those who they don't agree with. Example lets say this plug ID person X as apart of the "right".

You no longer want to talk to them? You don't even know them? Sounds extremely closed minded.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Perphaps to clarify a bit then: if you click on the badge of the user it takes you to that whitelisting page, which contains all the comments they've left. Of course, while usage is still up to diligence by the user, it's possible to manually investigate the nature of those comments, which helps to find the people that post there to oppose the ideas, rather than those that post there because they agree with them or because they accidentally miscommented.

As far as alting goes, it's not obviously not a perfect solution, but it can help clear out a sizable enough portion of the bad faith arguers.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Perphaps to clarify a bit then: if you click on the badge of the user it takes you to that whitelisting page, which contains all the comments they've left. Of course, while usage is still up to diligence by the user, it's possible to manually investigate the nature of those comments, which helps to find the people that post there to oppose the ideas, rather than those that post there because they agree with them or because they accidentally miscommented.

As far as alting goes, it's not obviously not a perfect solution, but it can help clear out a sizable enough portion of the bad faith arguers.
Problem is there's no value in tagging them. If they're spreading bad shit on other pages it's easy enough to tell it's bad shit. Pointing out they post on X doesn't add anything to the discussion, just point out why it's wrong. If they're talking good things on another sub well then there's no point to call em out. The only reason this is useful is to count if they're shilling. But that's a small percentage. Because the bad shills are obvious, the good shills use a clean account. So this would only catch the mediocre ones.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Problem is there's no value in tagging them. If they're spreading bad shit on other pages it's easy enough to tell it's bad shit. Pointing out they post on X doesn't add anything to the discussion, just point out why it's wrong. If they're talking good things on another sub well then there's no point to call em out. The only reason this is useful is to count if they're shilling. But that's a small percentage. Because the bad shills are obvious, the good shills use a clean account. So this would only catch the mediocre ones.
It helps weeding out dogwhistlers and concern trolls, something which usually is only possible by manually investigating their comment history in those subs. Effectively, the extension cuts out the busywork of having to do that for me.

(ie. When the latest Battlefield got announced, a bunch of folks got salty over it not being historically accurate because you could play as a black person. When investigating the comment histories of the majority of these people, it became apparent that the majority was KotakuInAction posters, which changes the more innocent sounding argument of "black person in the vidya game isn't accurate to WW2" into the less innocent argument of "we don't want to see black people in the vidya game".

If someone doesn't have a tag, yet makes an argument that is parroted by these types of people, it's less likely that they're a concern trolls or an alt, but more likely someone who is just confused.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My problem with this is that people will no longer want to talk to those who they don't agree with. Example lets say this plug ID person X as apart of the "right".

You no longer want to talk to them? You don't even know them? Sounds extremely closed minded.

You know where trying to talk to them and submitting to bipartisanship brought you? To a place in history after the 2nd World War and the rise and fall of nazi germany, where an almost identical nazi ideology is somehow rising again, seemingly unchallenged by any laws, rules and good people. Having an open mind in talking to people like that implies there is some middle ground but historically, if the good side agrees to some middle ground, the bad side advances and then acts as if there ought to be a middle ground again, as if no compromise had been made before. And they do that until they walzed right over the good side.
Politically, 6 ridiculous years of democrats working out bipartisan deals with reps, where reps usually had more say in most things, leading to a crippled at arival ACA and countless other undermined political endeavors ending with reps stealing a supreme court seat and then acting like all those last years, they never had a single say in anything happening while also chronically denying dozens of hard facts and statistics showing that america has been made great again years ago.

Not that the internet has ever been a good place for talking to one another like this anyways. The internet isn't a public forum, so no one needs to act decent.
Not even actual public forums need to anymore. Since the most indecent of groups have enough propaganda channels to create a second reality for those dumb enough to follow them.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
@Clydefrosch

" where an almost identical nazi ideology is somehow rising again, seemingly unchallenged by any laws, rules and good people." Where? In the USA? A lot of people think Trump supporter = alright = white supremacy or nazi however finding either a nazi or a white supremacist is VERY rare. Nah everyone who I don't agree with is automatically a nazi. I mean for the love of god we live in an age were people can say ALL WHITE PEOPLE ARE RACIST and nobody blinks an eye.

Talking =/ there is some middle ground

Nah I mean flat earthers are special but we just point and laugh at them. Now if you point me at someone who is saying we need to kill all the brown people or whatever then call me and I will be on your side.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
" where an almost identical nazi ideology is somehow rising again, seemingly unchallenged by any laws, rules and good people." Where? In the USA? A lot of people think Trump supporter = alright = white supremacy or nazi however finding either a nazi or a white supremacist is VERY rare. Nah everyone who I don't agree with is automatically a nazi. I mean for the love of god we live in an age were people can say ALL WHITE PEOPLE ARE RACIST and nobody blinks an eye.
The problem is that people who identify as the alt-right are very willing to go and bat for the Nazis or the KKK (white supremacy), which if you don't consider it sharing those beliefs (I personally think that if you're willing to go and defend that version of trash, you at the very least share some of their unique beliefs), should at the very least be highly concerning.

Also that last statement doesn't lead to a long trail of documented violence from people who say that towards white people (not counting the one or two incidents, but nutjobs are everywhere), whereas the alt-right has a long documented trail of violence in it's wake.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My thoughts? Very very good. If you keep driving these people underground, they will end up growing stronger in secret. Then when you think you've gotten rid of all the make believe nazis, you're going to have actual nazis coming up and establishing the fourth Reich whether you like it or not. Why is this is a good thing? It's not, but it will be funny to see.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My thoughts? Very very good. If you keep driving these people underground, they will end up growing stronger in secret.
No, they just go to Voat, one of the shittiest platforms on the internet. A fitting punishment, really.

Here are the geniuses you expect to organize themselves and attract more support:

GreatAwakening said:
Jiggaboo fagnigger.

Jigaboo, jigaboo where are you?

Well hey jiggerboo, niggerboo, colored coony, black bamboony!

Hillary is a niggerfaggot

I haven't gassed any jews this week and, that makes me sad. I roasted a couple of sand niggers with their stupid fucking koran books but it just isn't the same.

https://voat.co/v/GreatAwakening/2715869

Really important and valuable discussion happening there. /s

Last edited by Xzi,

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, they just go to Voat, one of the shittiest platforms on the internet. A fitting punishment, really.

Here are the geniuses you expect to organize themselves and attract more support:

https://voat.co/v/GreatAwakening/2715869

Really important and valuable discussion happening there. /s

Look at pedophiles. They were driven underground during the Web 2.0 transition. They still thrive, and they're getting exactly what they want. These "nazis" are politically motivated, and they'll end up getting exactly what they want in the end. Good job! :D

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Look at pedophiles. They were driven underground during the Web 2.0 transition. They still thrive, and they're getting exactly what they want. These "nazis" are politically motivated, and they'll end up getting exactly what they want in the end. Good job! :D
It's the same amount of pedos though. Same amount of neo-nazi fuckwads too. They aren't gaining support by being driven off of Reddit. If anything they lose some support because of the transition to a shittier platform.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.