How to make your own website.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rydian, Jan 29, 2011.

Jan 29, 2011

How to make your own website. by Rydian at 8:58 PM (9,961 Views / 1 Likes) 74 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    How To Make Your Own Website

Whether you're a homebrew coder looking for a place to hold your creations, a ROM hacker needing some space to post his updates and info, or a hardware hacker looking for somewhere to showcase his projects, there's many people who could use their own personal site. This tutorial will walk you through the basics.

Signing up for free hosting.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Setting up an FTP client.

Using FTP to manage your site.

Making Pages (CMS)

Making Pages (Custom)

Server-side include example.

F.A.Q.

Free host list.

Metoroid0 likes this.

2. Rydian
    OP

United States
    This is a basic tutorial aimed at budding hackers/coders/modders who simply need a place to hold and show off their stuff.
    More advanced web design concepts (such a server-side includes to keep a static theme) are not the point here.

EDIT: Whenever I edit the first post, the list contents of the spoilers are deleted...

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Great guide. I'll link to this whenever someone needs assistance in creating a site.
    Why don't you mention Adobe Dreamweaver? It would be helpful for those who don't know HTML and it's simple for beginners to use.

4. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Thanks. I might stick a link to it in my signature since it's mostly the ROM hackers and homebrew makers here that could use their own site, and they don't tend to be in this forum...

Dreamweaver doesn't teach people how to code properly, and the code that dreamweaver makes is pretty bad anyways (from pretty much any view), so taking it to learn off of isn't a good idea either, what with so many tutorials online you can take code from for free. People that can ROM hack or code homebrew aren't going to have a problem with it anyways (HTML actually isn't even a programming language). I considered making a basic template for people to use, that will come later.

5. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    lets say you wanted to have a custom URL ,
    is there anyway free way ? or must you start off without a custom URL then later invest in one ?

6. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Ah, forgot to add that to the FAQ, I'll do it now.

EDIT: Added.

7. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Okay I've got examples of a top menu style and a side menu style, I just need to clean them up a bit (such as using IDs instead of classes various places), comment them, then add a section for them, and expand upon the "Making Pages" section.

8. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    What's that XP theme you're using? I've wanted it for like, forever.

Seriously.

On topic - FrontPage - I know it sucks but it's good for beginners.

9. Luckkill4u

Member Luckkill4u SOLDIER

Canada
    another great host would be http://www.co.cc/. I used them once after looking at a couple of other providers and this one is very simple. It would also be "http://www.(yourdomain).co.cc/'' instead of having "http://www.(yourdomain).(provider).com/"

10. Rydian
    OP

United States
    It's Royale.

Frontpage is in the same vein as dreamweaver.
    I'm intending to encourage creativity and coding, those two programs tend to kill it.

Actually it IS still that. www.co.cc is the provider. [​IMG] Also I don't see any mention of hosting, they appear to just be a redirect. I encourage seeking out actual hosts like zymic and byethost because not only do they provide server-side languages (essential in this day and age), but they give people experience using FTP and such.

11. Evo.lve

Australia
    I use DreamWeaver, but I actually code, not just use the shit design function.

It's good. IDE's are always good.

12. Rydian
    OP

United States
    People won't use it as an IDE, they'll come to rely on it's other functions to do stuff for them... and it's of no help when using server-side languages to do stuff such as includes and dynamic content.

I am adamantly against it, as is pretty much any other actual web dev. It does too little and hurts too much while giving nothing more than autocomplete.

13. Evo.lve

Australia
    Fair enough. I use IDE's for autocomplete (no I'm not that lazy, my web design skills just suck) and the ability to see what the site is like without having to ul it.

14. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Autocomplete and a live preview a great, the problem is live preview doesn't work when using anything server-side, and autocomplete is certainly not limited to dreamweaver.

[​IMG]

Dreamweaver hurts too much and offers nothing you can't get better elsewhere for free, which is why everybody I've met that actually develops sites (more than basic HTML/CSS) is against it's use.

15. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    Very nice job, Rydian.

Even though it's not completed, it looks pretty good so far.

16. Evo.lve

Australia
    Notepad++ and Unitron are great.

Since all coding is just a bunch of text, you could do it in any text editor and just rename the extension.

EDIT: Zymic and byethost aren't for everyone - so here's a list of good ones.

17. Rydian
    OP

United States
    I'll make a list of hosts later, I like to go through and make sure they don't actually insert stuff into pages (which breaks image scripts), which sites can do even if they claim they don't put ads on the pages... and that they can be FTP'd and are easy to set up and aren't known for pulling shit for no reason, and blah blah blah.

This guide's like half-done. XD

18. Evo.lve

Australia
    Personally I'm fine with good free hosts putting text ads in footers - but that's about it. Anything else is overly flamboyant/dickheady.

19. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Unfortunately that breaks any dynamic images for technical reasons, and since I plan to (at a later point) give out the coding for various forum signatures for people to use, I don't want them to sign up for one host and then have to go off and find another for their sig, 'ya know?

20. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    I don't see how it's terrible just coding side. I can see why you're against it for it's design side, but the coding side is very good. Sure, you can't see server-sided languages when tabbing back and fourth, but that doesn't mean you can't just code in it. I write all my code in it, server-sided and client-sided. Not really worth the money imo, but not really a terrible program.

Anyways, good writeup, maybe more hostings?