Gaming How to make your own website.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Listing "good" free web-hosts is always a bad idea, as everyone who uses a free provider that treats them relatively well will report that the host is "good".
Instead, providing a link to a database of various free web-hosts is a better idea, such as http://www.free-webhosts.com/

Also, for payed hosting, you can't get much better than VPN1Euro - they've got the best stability / speed I've ever seen in a shared hosting provider (and trust me, I've tried quite a lot of shared hosting).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Those databases list hosts that either don't support GD, are missing some functions for it (such as TTF support), or insert tracking into each page (which breaks image scripts).

If there's some list that categorizes or tests for those types of things I'll use it, but until then I won't use a standard host list because they're not precise enough.

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Django0 said:
You might want to add that HelioHost has limited registrations each day.
HelioHost said:
We're sorry, but the daily signup limit has been exceeded. Please try again tomorrow at midnight PST.

That seems to be new then. When I signed up (approx. 2 years ago) there was no daily limit. Edit: it seems the daily limit is 200
ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Antoligy @ Mar 4 2011, 06:37 PM)
Listing "good" free web-hosts is always a bad idea, as everyone who uses a free provider that treats them relatively well will report that the host is "good".
Instead, providing a link to a database of various free web-hosts is a better idea, such as http://www.free-webhosts.com/

Also, for payed hosting, you can't get much better than VPN1Euro - they've got the best stability / speed I've ever seen in a shared hosting provider (and trust me, I've tried quite a lot of shared hosting).
Free-Webhosts is a bit dated on some points an the reviews are very old, so make sure the info is correct before dropping free hosts from your options.

~Stenny

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Rydian said:
You're using your PC as your server? That's quite outside the scope of this guide (and not something I recommend), but you are correct. If your PC is off people will NOT be able to download your files.

sorry. that's not what I mean.

i was asking if i have to use my PC as my server, or my files would still be there in the site if i turn it off?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You have to buy a domain, and there's many sites to get it from and the process is different per-site. In addition you have to set it up on the host, which is different per-host.

I'm not willing to spend the money on a bunch of domains, nor am I willing to unlink my current one and hook it up to a few sites (waiting 24 hours for the DNS to propagate each time).

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about this? You make a website with Adobe Dreamweaver, and you put the contents that are in the root folder in the root of the FTP server, will the website work that way? I want to try it, but I don't own Dreamweaver, my High School does, which I use for a Web Design class, we won't be publishing sites, just learning how to make pages.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Small think I'd like to add, about free domain names, http://www.co.cc/ is a great wee site that lets you have a domain free for life (unlike .tk free domains who will steal is back once it's got enough viewers to make some money out of, never to be owned by you again)

Even though it's only .co.cc what else do you want for nothing?

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Never noticed you'd actually metioned .co.cc in the guide before, pay me no mind. I've used the same 2 domains (I basically class it as one) for ages, one for my more private email, the other for a ftp/http site that I share with friends, never had either nicked. Also, Nice and simple guide, as usual.
smile.gif

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone needs help with creating websites and web graphics PM me. I'm also able to help
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1