I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Recently, an user called Nebiun made yet another fork of MAME Wii originally developed by Toad King, and this new project is called:

Mame4wii.png

MAME4Wii

MAME4Wii
is an Arcade Emulator based on MAME Wii 1.0 by Toad King.
Many games for early arcade boards can be played with varying amounts of success.
This version is based on official MAME version 0.135 (with some fixes and changes from MAME 0.136) so you need ROMS from that version (0.135).
ROMS must be copied in sd:/mame/roms (Leave them zipped!!!).
The app has three parts: a main menu, a loader and multiple dol of MAME tailored to play groups of games.

Changes on original MAME 0.135 sources:
  • Cut off code for screenshot and video recording
  • Cut off save of game settings
  • Cut off debug codes
  • Cut off cheat codes
Changes on MAME Wii 1.0 sources:
  • Fix video driver to play Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battle Zone, etc...
  • Fix input driver for use of Wiimote only
  • Some other changes...

Downloads:

MAME4Wii:

in this link:
http://nebiun.altervista.org/wii_games/mame4wii-1.35.2.zip
Current version is 1.35.2.

MAME4Wii Snapshots:
You can download the archive mame4wii_snap.zip to add the screen shots of the games. The archive must be unzipped in sd:/mame/snap.
https://nebiun.altervista.org/wii_games/mame4wii_snap.zip

Source code: avaliable on GitHub. https://github.com/nebiun/MAME4Wii

More further info can be found here: https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Mame4wii

(DISCLAIMER: I do not own nor made this project, i'm just letting know this for all GBAtempers and Wii/Wii U players.)

Greetings to all! :yaywii: :D

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Cool! Wonder if this could improve the MAME Catalog for Wii.

I have 3 games in mind:
  • Joe & Mac Returns
  • NightSlashers
  • DynaGear

Personally I'm pretty satisfied with RetroArch's efforts, but I'm craving those 3 and RA fails at it.

Reactions: SaulFabre

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Uh, where is the download, i click and it auto closes the tab and i get nothin.
Post automatically merged:

Also what are the video options?
Post automatically merged:

Fuck, bro on Brave the download keeps telling me its unsafe!.......like what's goin on?

Last edited by MeXen,

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Fuck, bro on Brave the download keeps telling me its unsafe!.......like what's goin on?
Chrome and Firefox also tells it's a "dangerous" file, but nah dont worry... it's just a false positive, as the emulator just released a few weeks ago.
Uh, where is the download, i click and it auto closes the tab and i get nothin.
i mirrored all downloads of MAME4Wii 1.35.2 here:
https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/MAME4Wii/releases/tag/1.35.2-mirror

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Cool! Wonder if this could improve the MAME Catalog for Wii.

I have 3 games in mind:
  • Joe & Mac Returns
  • NightSlashers
  • DynaGear

Personally I'm pretty satisfied with RetroArch's efforts, but I'm craving those 3 and RA fails at it.
Joe & Mac Returns does work on MAME4Wii but not Night Slashers nor Dyna Gear (return to HBC after loading).
i think it's because of memory overflow.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For this one, I've found the next best thing to be the mod NightSlashers X with the OpenBOR app.
I know.
Joe & Mac Returns does work on MAME4Wii but not Night Slashers nor Dyna Gear (return to HBC after loading).
i think it's because of memory overflow.
I know.

Tototi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure or how to confirm right now, but I think Joe & Mac Returns works fine on this Wiimpathy experimental core:

Attachments

• mame2003-plus_coreD-nslasher.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just reporting. Yesterday managed to get a full ROMSET for Mame4Wii, which consists if 2001 roms. My rechargeable AA batteries just finished charging and I've decided to try this out.

First, I don't get why anyone wouldn't implement Gamecube Controller support for an Arcade Emulator. Yes, I have my rechargeable batteries, and I could play non-stop as I have 6, so while 2 are being used, 4 could be charging, and then use those while charging the others. I've never been a fan of utilizing WiiMotes over Gamecube controllers, so it's a huge letdown for me. Not a deal breaker, but I simply don't get why when there's four fully functioning GCN controller ports in my Wii going unused... specially for old games.
Second, video is wrong (not bad, just wrong) as it's offset towards the left and to the bottom. Maybe because I'm using my Wii in 480p, so I'm assuming it should look fine in CRT's with 480i instead. EDIT: Actually many games has video flickering, something RetroArch doesn't has troubles doing, even with different resolutions and screen ratios AND video/sound filters,
Third, the games I was interested in doesn't work even though it's listed as working. Joe & Mac Returns obviously works, and it's working even with the old SDLMAMEWII that was available back in the day. But the emulator lists huge games that RetroArch and Wiimpathy's work has no trouble emulating, like CPS1, CPS2 and NEOGEO roms.

In my opinion, it's not worth it, but I... I'm kinda curious to see how many of the 0.135 romset is compatible with RetroArch's FBA and MAME2000 cores and Wiimpathy's 2003 PLUS cores. So I'm on my way to find out... damn... 2001 roms? Of course some are repeating... but it's gonna be a long noon.

Just use RetroArch for all your Wii MAME needs. :mellow:

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this version is nice, i also don't believe it is anywhere an upgrade to Saul's release.

Asteroids looks better but the controller cfg is not correct, making it unplayable since one cannot change button cfg. Pole Position, RoadBlaster, Missile Command, Tron etc... still suffer with control issues as well.

The real issue i have with this release is it uses the same directory as the previous releases. This eliminates users freedom of choice to have both/all installed when using different romsets, negating the reason of existence.

Very well put together but i agree with @JuanMena , this release should not be used when superior wii arcade emulation already exists.

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou Black Label Retroarch Wii

Changes in Black Label include;

·Player can select 1 Loop Mode or 2 Loop Mode at the beginning of the game, after a fighter is selected. In 2 Loop Mode, after completing stage 1-5, player now has the option to continue into the second loop as before, but can also continue if player loses all lives in the 2nd loop. In 1 Loop Mode, player immediately fights Hibachi after defeating normal stage 1-5 boss, which can also be continued after losing all lives.
·Instead of losing existing lives when entering 2nd loop, they are now preserved.
·The game is easier in general. The enemy bullets are fewer and move slower, but the changes are subtle.
·Hyper Meter fills faster than in the original.
·Some bug fixes. Chain meter now has 5 digits, so it no longer rolls over if it reaches 9999 hits. (In the original version, the chain meter counts internally correct, but displays only lower 4 digits.)

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou Black Label Retroarch Wii

Changes in Black Label include;

·Player can select 1 Loop Mode or 2 Loop Mode at the beginning of the game, after a fighter is selected. In 2 Loop Mode, after completing stage 1-5, player now has the option to continue into the second loop as before, but can also continue if player loses all lives in the 2nd loop. In 1 Loop Mode, player immediately fights Hibachi after defeating normal stage 1-5 boss, which can also be continued after losing all lives.
·Instead of losing existing lives when entering 2nd loop, they are now preserved.
·The game is easier in general. The enemy bullets are fewer and move slower, but the changes are subtle.
·Hyper Meter fills faster than in the original.
·Some bug fixes. Chain meter now has 5 digits, so it no longer rolls over if it reaches 9999 hits. (In the original version, the chain meter counts internally correct, but displays only lower 4 digits.)

Chelo, disculpa:
Is this bezel and compatibility included in your telegram pack from last year?
Or is this an update for that game in particular?

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only played a little bit of this emulator.

- The front end needs some fine tuning. Would be nice if the classic controller could do everything instead of needing the wiimote to be used in a mouse-like fashion. Also not understanding how to exit a loaded game back to the main menu to load another without physically disconnecting the classic controller and then hitting home on the wiimote. Am I missing the shortcut there? Don't like the dependence on the wiimote when the classic controller is preferred.

- The vector games that I tested are way better. Star Wars has an actual star field and you can see the projectiles in Asteroids. In the old mame wii you could run the games but not see that detail.

- I'm seeing a *lot* of games in the menu list that mame wii couldn't run before. Not sure if they actually run or not as those roms aren't in my directory just yet

- Noticing some screen flashing issues in some games. Donkey Kong and Mr. Do! were what I tested. It's noticeable in a bad way.

- The Universal games(like Mr. Do!) still have that central block glitch that obscures the pixels underneath.

- Knights of the Round had some weird screen tearing that I don't remember mame wii having.

- Directory structure looks to be different, but I need to look/test further. I fully backed up my mame wii before installing this. At a glance though I'm guessing you could have this and mame wii installed without either interfering with the other despite both using the same root /mame and roms directory.

Overall shows promise. I like the snapshots and the basic search interface in the main menu. Just let me do all that with the classic controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is out