Homebrew Emulator [UNOFFICIAL] SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0 - Newer Wiimote + WiiFlow + 10K games support MOD

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
So i've heard that the old SDL MAME Wii v0.6.0 (or SDL-MAME Wii / SDLMAME Wii 0.6) is way a little more stable than MAME Wii 1.0, i decided to modify a bit (again) the SDL MAME Wii v0.6 code for be able to recompile it with the devkitPPC r26 (for accept newer Wiimotes), change (increase) the game ROM limit number from 150 to 10000 (10K) games, and attempt to add WiiFlow support via arguments for autolaunch arcade games / romsets at startup.

Wii_HBC_SDLMame_icon.png

This version of MAME, like MAME Wii 1.0, is based on MAME 0.134u4. So, you'll need to get or convert (rebuild) your MAME romsets for be able to run on SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0 (MAME 0.134u4).

Source code of this mod of SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/old-SDL-MAME-Wii-0.6

Hope you can give it a good use.

- saulfabreg ;)

Attachments

• SDLMAMEWii_0.6.0_MOD_WF_newmotes_10klimit-saulfabreg.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 58

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So i've heard that the old SDL MAME Wii v0.6.0 (or SDL-MAME Wii / SDLMAME Wii 0.6) is way a little more stable than MAME Wii 1.0, i decided to modify a bit (again) the SDL MAME Wii v0.6 code for be able to recompile it with the devkitPPC r26 (for accept newer Wiimotes), change (increase) the game ROM limit number from 150 to 10000 (10K) games, and attempt to add WiiFlow support via arguments for autolaunch arcade games / romsets at startup.

View attachment 386908

This version of MAME, like MAME Wii 1.0, is based on MAME 0.134u4. So, you'll need to get or convert (rebuild) your MAME romsets for be able to run on SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0 (MAME 0.134u4).

Source code of this mod of SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/old-SDL-MAME-Wii-0.6

Hope you can give it a good use.

- saulfabreg ;)
Thank you very much friend, excellent work, it works very well, you can change the game many times and it doesn't give any errors, and when you exit the emulator, it doesn't give an error either, and it works very well with the wireless retrofighter bladeGC controller, if you ever have time to check if you can add the driver from samecdi to this emulator as you did with taito, namco etc. let's see if it works thanks for everything always

josepijolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you Saulfabre for your contributions to the community.
Basically this version seems to eliminate the black screen (DSI error) when trying to change the game, very annoying error since you have to press the physical reset button of wii. This error causes the Wiiflow forwarder channel to not work, so every time a game failed, you had to re-enter wiiflow from the channel (wii main menu) or from the Hbc.
Clarified this, we use this forum to post bugs and improve this version.
Don't forget to try the wrally game, I haven't found this game to work on any other wii emulator, it's a must have.

450_1000.png

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you Saulfabre for your contributions to the community.
Basically this version seems to eliminate the black screen (DSI error) when trying to change the game, very annoying error since you have to press the physical reset button of wii. This error causes the Wiiflow forwarder channel to not work, so every time a game failed, you had to re-enter wiiflow from the channel (wii main menu) or from the Hbc.
Clarified this, we use this forum to post bugs and improve this version.
Don't forget to try the wrally game, I haven't found this game to work on any other wii emulator, it's a must have.

View attachment 386934

This might be an annoying ask but is there any way you could add in support for SF2 Mix? It's a hack that substantially changes the gameplay of SF2 champion edition.

https://sf2mix.github.io/

EDIT: actually on the topic of world rally, how viable would it be to backport the drivers for world rally 2 and snow board championship? I believe they run on the same board but didn't have broken protection until a few years ago, in a newer version of MAME.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
i have tried wrally (World Rally) on MAME Wii 1.0 and it works fine, also it can actually emulate the protection in it.

Since SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0 and MAME Wii 1.0 are both based on MAME 0.134u4, wrally should work as expected on both versions.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be an annoying ask but is there any way you could add in support for SF2 Mix? It's a hack that substantially changes the gameplay of SF2 champion edition.
One issue I recall regarding another port of MAME on Wii was lack of support for hacks/unofficial roms. It used a whitelist and refused to run any game other than one from the official set. My understanding is that was a conceit of the MAME developer. I also recall that the fix at the time was to add the particular hack of interest to the whitelist.

That may be the case here. Assuming there is no special extra capability needed for this particular hack (I'm not familiar).

Reactions: SaulFabre

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
One issue I recall regarding another port of MAME on Wii was lack of support for hacks/unofficial roms. It used a whitelist and refused to run any game other than one from the official set. My understanding is that was a conceit of the MAME developer. I also recall that the fix at the time was to add the particular hack of interest to the whitelist.

That may be the case here. Assuming there is no special extra capability needed for this particular hack (I'm not familiar).

Normally MAME should load hacks even if the CRCs are incorrect if you unzip them and keep them in a folder, while having unzipped roms works in SDL MAME wii it still refuses to actually play the game if the CRCs are wrong. I don't know what causes this behavior but it would be great if it could somehow be rectified so that it still loads roms even if the CRCs are wrong, ala final burn alpha and MAME on PC.

It is definitely annoying that the wii ports of FBA and MAME don't work like this anymore, I remember an earlier version of retroarch and FBA working with the metal slug 2 "turbo" hack with no issue but it doesn't work anymore in new versions of retroarch. CRC checks should be removed period tbh.

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
press -/+ 2 times
yeah, thanx, already figured it out.
Post automatically merged:

Well, finally got some time to test this mod out.

I don't know what @SaulFabre did but it does crash once in a while with the same black screen "DSI exception occured....".

I've been messing around with the original version 0.6 for couple of hours, playing games, exiting games, changing games, trying everything possible - and not once it produced a black screen, not one single time! This mod - during the first 10 minutes of trying everything out - I got the black screen 2 times. What's interesting is I only tried those games which I tried with the original 0.6 version, which leads me to believe that the problem is in the mod.

Also, tried the mod with USBloaderGX plugins mod, and it won't work - just sends me back to the hbc/wii menu.

Last edited by cereal_killer,

josepijolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Tonight I try it and share my results, if it fails it has to be for 2 reasons, when compiling with devkitppc r26 or because of increasing the number of roms, I don't think this error is due to adding arguments for wiiflow.

I just tried about 30 games entering all of them from wiiflow (entering, exiting, changing game) and I have not had any black screen (DSI Error). Friend cereal_killer, it is possible that the files you have are not correct, or that you do not have the exit key configured correctly. 1 this is my composition of folders.

mame2.png

mame.png

The mame folder in the root is taken from the original mame 0.6, you may be using the one from mame 1.0 and this causes some problem.

It may also solve the problem to configure the key to exit the game, input (general) / user interface / UI cancel. Comment if it was helpful.

Last edited by josepijolo,

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonight I try it and share my results, if it fails it has to be for 2 reasons, when compiling with devkitppc r26 or because of increasing the number of roms, I don't think this error is due to adding arguments for wiiflow.

I just tried about 30 games entering all of them from wiiflow (entering, exiting, changing game) and I have not had any black screen (DSI Error). Friend cereal_killer, it is possible that the files you have are not correct, or that you do not have the exit key configured correctly. 1 this is my composition of folders.

View attachment 387100
View attachment 387099

The mame folder in the root is taken from the original mame 0.6, you may be using the one from mame 1.0 and this causes some problem.

It may also solve the problem to configure the key to exit the game, input (general) / user interface / UI cancel. Comment if it was helpful.
ok, lets begin with the roms and then talk about all these other aspects.

As far as I understand, this version (mod) is is based on MAME 0.134u4, just like like MAME Wii 1.0,So, I need a 0.134u4 romset, right?

I downloaded all my roms from cool rom. I believe they all belong to the 0.134u4 romset. At least they work with no problems on sdlMAME Wii version 1.0.

Let's assume a game from some other romset made its way to the mame rom list when I was testing this mod the other day, its not going to make sdlmame produce this black screen (DSI Error), or is it? I mean this black screen (DSI Error) thing has nothing to do with the game being from another romset or does it?

josepijolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
My roms in version 0.6 and 1.0 are the same and work on both. Do you have a mame folder in the root like the screenshots I put above? Have you manually set the Ui Cancel exit key?

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mis roms en la versión 0.6 y 1.0 son iguales y funcionan en ambos. ¿Tienes una carpeta mome en la raíz como en las capturas que puse arriba? ¿Has configurado manualmente la tecla de salida Ui Cancel?
dude, I don't speak spanish. I had to use an online translator to translate your message.

So, here's what my folders look like

apps:

1.png

root:

Untitled.png

I installed the version 0.6 and then just replaced the boot.dol file with the modded one (didn't touch/change other files)

To exit the game - I press + and - at the same time and then I press it again to exit the emulator. Is there another more proper way to exit games?

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Several years ago I made a compatibility list of this emulator (version 0.6).
Here is the link in case anyone is interested:

https://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/Lista_de_compatibilidad_MAME_SDL

I recommend using retroarch for cps1 games.

It also works for version 1.0, but it's true that this version has some problems (I think I remember a sound problem).
Toadking, the author, decided not to invest more time in this emulator and joined a group that was preparing an application with more possibilities to emulate: Retroarch.

josepijolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Post 14 edited in English, Sorry :).

At first your folders are neatly arranged. You can set the exit key by entering from the mame menu in input (general)/user interface/UI cancel, you can press 2 buttons at the same time, set it manually in case that was the problem.

Try my Mame 0.6 and add the new .dol.

Attachments

• Mame Sdl 0.6.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: cheloruiz79

seam1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I cannot get this to work. I booted from USB and from SD. It just goes straight to a black screen, no dsi code. Can someone please upload their files for me? or Explain to me exactly how to get this to work. Thanks for any help. This is frustrating

EDIT: i tried original .6 it also does not work for me. weird

:(

Oh this is the newer mame sdl, I hoped this was the original. @SaulFabre Could you please make the original mamesdl work in wiiflow?

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SDL_MAME

This version actually supports games that dont work on the toadkings mames. like Dragon Ball 1 and 2, and some others. I think bucky o'hare and moo mesa worked as well, and ninja baseball batman etc

Last edited by seam1,

Tototi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I cannot get this to work. I booted from USB and from SD. It just goes straight to a black screen, no dsi code. Can someone please upload their files for me? or Explain to me exactly how to get this to work. Thanks for any help. This is frustrating

Oh this is the newer mame sdl, I hoped this was the original. @SaulFabre Could you please make the original mamesdl work in wiiflow?

This version actually supports games that dont work on the toadkings mames. like Dragon Ball 1 and 2, and some others. I think bucky o'hare and moo mesa worked as well, and ninja baseball batman etc
and violent storm, mystic warriors, metamorphic force and more

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

and violent storm, mystic warriors, metamorphic force and more
This version of SDL MAME for Wii by Nuvalo (based on MAME 0.125) is supposedly already compatible with WiiFlow, cause i checked its code and i found that:

1691542688898.png

Which IIRC Wiimpathy modified some code on MAME Wii in this part of cli_execute for accept arguments for WiiFlow.

Try using the same arguments Wiimpathy made for MAME Wii and I put for both of my mods of MAME Wii and SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0.

<arguments>
<arg>[sd_or_usb]:/[path]/[to]/[game]</arg>
<arguments>

Example:

<arguments>
<arg>sd:/mame/roms/pacman.zip</arg>
<arguments>

@seam1 @Tototi How do you guys even be able to use this version of SDL MAME? I tried booting it from the Homebrew Channel and it didnt recognize the boot.elf.
Tried even making an entry for be able to boot it but still i have a black screen.
Any clues, or can someone send me their setup for that version of SDL MAME?

Last edited by SaulFabre,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here