Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not what I heard, so good to know :D

It would be cool if we can get some confirmation here as well :)
I don't claim to be an expert, but I do read a lot of posts here and I think that downgrading and upgrading leads to more bricks than the 3dsx. I only really remember one post saying that the 3dsx bricked the system and left them with a blue screen. Just make sure the 3dsx was compiled correctly by you or a reliable person.

Reactions: Supster131

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't claim to be an expert, but I do read a lot of posts here and I think that downgrading and upgrading leads to more bricks than the 3dsx. I only really remember one post saying that the 3dsx bricked the system and left them with a blue screen. Just make sure the 3dsx was compiled correctly by you or a reliable person.
Yeah, the upgrading part (on the original guide) is what bricked my 2DS.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Never heard about bricks from nand restores besides those made by user errors (or the unfortunately broken rxtools backup creation)
But yeah I compiled the 3dsx myself. I'm not really worried nor do I ever intend on going back to a non-A9LH backup. I'm just asking to get more knowledge on the issue and probably determine the safest method and possible alternatives. Nothing more :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, the upgrading part (on the original guide) is what bricked my 2DS.
What happened?

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard about bricks from nand restores besides those made by user errors (or the unfortunately broken rxtools backup creation)
But yeah I compiled the 3dsx myself. I'm not really worried nor do I ever intend on going back to a non-A9LH backup. I'm just asking to get more knowledge on the issue and probably determine the safest method and possible alternatives. Nothing more :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What happened?
The original guide stated to update with a game cart (since Decrypt9 didn't work on 2.1 at the time), so I updated to 7.1 (I think) after getting my OTP. Nothing worked. Nothing would open.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
The original guide stated to update with a game cart (since Decrypt9 didn't work on 2.1 at the time), so I updated to 7.1 (I think) after getting my OTP. Nothing worked. Nothing would open.
Ah ok, I thought it was nand restore. But yeah I wouldn't upgrade though a gamecart. If they don't install a browser, who knows what else it doesn't update

pkmz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated with a cart. Luigi mansion. To 4.2 kn a n3ds. Then flash a nand backup of 9.2

P

PaiiNSteven

2) If you need to use NTR CFW, the 9.6 FIRM for Old3DS and the 10.2 FIRM for New3DS are needed. They are in the rei-n3ds and rei-o3ds folders inside the "NTR" folder in the FIRMs.7z.
Wait, so NTR CFW is also compatible with o3DS with this?
is dumb question dumb?

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No im not using sliderhax, as i have a n3ds system. Im on step 8 of the guide....

1. From sysnand, launch hax and run MiniPasta
  2. When back at sysnand, launch hax and run EmuNAND9
  3. Choose “EmuNAND Manager Options” and then choose “Clone SysNAND to EmuNAND”
  4. Once this is complete, press START to reboot
  5. From sysnand, launch hax and run TinyFormat to format SysNand and unlink NANDs
  6. Once the system reboots, complete the initial setup without linking NNID
  7. Once you are at the home menu, set your sysnand theme to red
  8. Launch hax and run CFW to get into emunand
I can load up the CFW to get into emunand, if i loading into the Homebrew Launcher and load ReiNand (Reinand.3dsx) it just flashes the screen a few times and freezes on a red screen
Sorry I went to bed after that.
Anyway, I don't know much about n3ds (yet, gonna hardmod one soon so I can't screw up) so if it's specific to n3ds I dunno. But you CAN load cfw, since that's how you get to emunand.
You said your sysnand theme is red, yes? so if it's blue you're in emunand?

Regular mode:
- Normally emuNAND is autobooted.
- If you hold R on boot, sysNAND will be booted with the firmware.bin on the SD card and signature checks patched (like Brickway).
- If your console has 9.0/9.2 on SysNAND, you can boot SysNAND with the 9.0 FIRM and patched signature checks. To do this hold L on boot. On O3DS, the reboot patch won't be applied. If your console (O3DS) is not on 9.x, it will be detected and it will just hang on a black screen.

So since you're currently on 9.0 and your emunand is a clone of sysnand (so also 9.0), holding nothing should boot emunand, probably with 10.4 firm.
Does simply trying again help? *hax can fail quite a lot, I've had it mess up loading HBL, FTP-GMX, CHMM2.. basically everything can fail from it and you'll have to just reboot.
on an o3ds apps from HBL that WONT work go to the red screen and then flash back to HBL after figuring out they wont work, so it may be freezing after trying to boot.
Either try running an app beforehand (helped with sysupdater from hbl, dunno, might help) or try throwing reinand.3dsx on your root, rename boot.3dsx to toob.3dsx or something, and rename reinand.3dsx to boot.3dsx

Did you download FIRMS.7z? Does your sd as far as rei goes look like this?

Root:
ReiNand.dat
3ds/
../ReiNand/
../ReiNand.3dsx
../ReiNand.smdh
emunand/
../emunand.bin
reboot/
../reboot.bin
rei/
../firmware.bin

drguild

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This has the same fix as cakes.

Changed over to this firmware now the fix works great on boot and 3D seems a little more stable.
I'm sure I'm still getting used to everything as I only had the N3DS for a couple weeks now.

For the other reply I am keeping my DS very clean I'm a bit over protective with it currently as it came in excellent condition so trying to keep that way.

I'll join join the ARML9 group soonish once I feel a bit more comfortable with things to swap my nands around but loving everything soo far as I do want faster native rebooting especially from system settings without going through the loader etc.

GBA Temp has been a wealth of information to me, so huge thanks to everyone on these forums.

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
How would one do it if they wanted to restore the ARM9 thread? Feels kind of strange to not see "Rei:." in system settings and makes updating EmuNand a horror movie.
Can a simple user even do it?

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would one do it if they wanted to restore the ARM9 thread? Feels kind of strange to not see "Rei:." in system settings and makes updating EmuNand a horror movie.
Can a simple user even do it?
Well, if your emuNAND is 9.3+ there's nothing to worry about. Since you know your emuNAND is obviously not on 9.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol