Hardware Just great, a dead/stuck pixel already

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im now quite happy the wiiu didnt land here in the uk till our american guinea pig friends beta tested :)
Nintendo Rep: "Damn! The North American Wii Us have so many issues we have to recall every last Wii U we produced for the PAL territories and ship new ones to retailers within two weeks!"
... :yaywii:

(Sorry, a little off-topic but I had to post this :U)

Reactions: pwsincd

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Nintendo Rep: "Damn! The North American Wii Us have so many issues we have to recall every last Wii U we produced for the PAL territories and ship new ones to retailers within two weeks!"
... :yaywii:

(Sorry, a little off-topic but I had to post this :U)

you wish
USA where the Ginnie Pigs :P
if you go on the UK website there's no info about an update to get all of the online features :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Others have already taken that most LCD manufacturers consider a certain number of dead pixels to be acceptable. Sucks if you get one and things usually improve as time goes on (although I am not sure what goes as far as Nintendo ordering a more or less off the shelf one from a proven line) but when the alternative is really high priced goods. There might be something to be said for getting a good early buzz but trying for that could be costly as well (scrapping or storing and later putting together a package or three is not the cheapest).

instead of just one from the batch.

I should note there is actually a formula to checking this which takes into account cost of replacement/failure/trouble if failure happens (not a lot for a bit of cheap consumer electronics vs say the cost of a car pile up if one of Shuji1987's parts does not work and fails catastrophically), cost of checking and batch size and then spits out a number of things to check within a batch and a failure rate accordingly (indeed a good chunk of the grey market/replacement parts and such come from such failed batches). I imagine they have proper bed of nails testers for the motherboards and token software tests later but full teardown tests do take a long time and even require a bit of "aging" tests to do properly (ever had a mouse that double clicks on rare occasions but works the rest of the time or perhaps more usefully here what happens when the thing has been turned on and in use for ten hours).

@Shuji1987 always nice to meet another failure analysis/test engineer.

soam108

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I sent the gamepad in, the day it got to Nintendo's facility is the day it was shipped back to me....so who knows if they repaired it or replaced it, either way it's scheduled to get to my house exactly a week from when I sent it.

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If it has a dead pixel, return it.

No excuses, you spend a lot of money for technology to enjoy, I don't care what's acceptable.

Had the same issue with many LCD screens, including the recent 3DS XL. I showed them the pixel and said I want an exchange. Easy as that.

Don't tolerate things like this if it's new, return it! Never put up with it.

soam108

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the package today, in the box was a slip with a bunch of different outcomes of the repair, the one that was checked was "could not duplicate problem user was experiencing, old system was replaced" So they couldn't even find the pixel that was dead but replaced it with a new gamepad anyway. I worried that might happen because the pixel is hard to detect unless the colors on the screen are dark, but they still should have caught it.

So I'm happy with the outcome except one thing.....the gamepad they sent me doesn't have a stylus in it! Luckily my 3DS XL has the same stylus but still it's annoying, should I bother them with this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination +1