Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Sterling said:
@Guild: It's funny because many arguments about Microsoft and Sony was because they didn't do anything new. I don't see how anything has changed concerning the companies. Nintendo revolutionized console gaming. Sony revolutionized disc based medium for consoles. Nintendo tried going with what was considered cool with the Gamecube, and was massively beat. The Wii revolutionized control, while Microsoft and Sony completely lagged behind (even releasing their own "Wii" funtions to a certain success). New concepts and insight is something Nintendo does best.

Nintendo's new scheme would be nothing if they didn't advertise the shit out of it to the casual, family-oriented crowd. Microsoft decided not to until they realized it was a good money making strategy and made the Kinect. Same with Sony and the Move. It's not new concepts that work, it's marketing new concepts as "right for you" and "family fun" that work.
Advertising makes anything work. If it's good quality, word gets around. I have not see a Wii advert since the year of its release. Why are you so intent on bring up a point that anyone in the business industry relies on. If I didn't see all the Call of Duty and Halo adverts, and didn't have friends, I may not have cared enough for the 360.

The new concepts for the Wii do work. It's track record and fun gameplay make it the most revolutionary thing since the Analogue stick. Successful, and deemed worthy enough for Moneysoft and $ony to try and steal some of it's thunder. Which to a certain degree, has been successful. Proving further, it's the concept, not the company who made it successful.

All this being said, I hold nothing against tradition gameplay. Many times, a competent developer can use the new ideas to it's full potential, however, there aren't many competent devs anymore. These guys are the people that stick to traditional gameplay. Guys like Activision who haven't really put anything inventive out since Guitar Hero.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CCNaru said:
PRobqably because Sony's E3 presentation was much better than Nintendo's.

what e3 was that ? if i remember corecly it was boring

QUOTE(TDWP FTW @ Jun 11 2011, 03:14 PM) TBH, I like the Wii U. The controller isn't that bad, just the button placement seems weird (The analog sticks should've been reconfigured, like the right one moved below the buttons).

The whole extra screen thing can allow for a lot of creativity with developers too. Games can have the HUD on the controller screen, leaving for full gameplay on the TV, or have inventories on the controller screen, with the rest of the game on the TV, etc.

People need to give it a chance and wait for some more details before instantly hating it.

yes well say

also the console is not in production yet so how it looks now is not the final product

MaK11-12

Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
Playstation 3 was rubbish. No 'other OS'. PS move copy of the wii remote. Sony was easily hacked more than 10 times in the past two months.
Xbox 360 is a bit 'generic'. Its in the middle kind of thing. Its not as powerful as the PS3, but while it did get a lot of inspiration from the wii to create the Kinect, again I don't think it's good.
Now, there's a reason the Wii sold much more than its competitors. It was different, and in a good way. It did revolutionise gaming because it got me off my lazy backside and swinging my arms around to score points. Then four years later, Sony and Microsoft did the same thing - because people liked it.

Until now Nintendo has always set the gaming standard. While it wasn't HD, the games were good - as a games console should be.

Regarding the PSP2, its just a psp with more GPU that will create better graphics. Oh! and a touch screen! like we never saw that coming!

edit for spellings.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Remember this guys?
Gamecube-b.jpg

This badboy console is looking down from heaven in shame
closedeyes.gif

What happened to you Nintendo? In the chase of money, profit and success you reached out to casual gamers and 'strange, new ideas' so much that it feels like you've almost forgotten about the gamers that made you a success
frown.gif

Then again maybe developers of this new generation will utilise this tech for more than just shovelware. It's always good to believe.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NiGHtS said:
Remember this guys?
Gamecube-b.jpg

closedeyes.gif

What happened to you Nintendo? In the chase of money, profit and success you reached out to casual gamers and 'strange, new ideas' so much that it feels like you've almost forgotten about the gamers that made you a success
frown.gif

Then again maybe developers of this new generation will utilise this tech for more than just shovelware. It's always good to believe.

that console dint do very good you know

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To me, the only opinion that matter is my opinion, in the end, i've bought Nintendo hardware and software for the past 25 years and have never been disapointed, so gimme my first-party games and i'll be happy Iwata.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NiGHtS said:
Remember this guys?
*Snip gigantic image
closedeyes.gif

frown.gif

The gamecube was a failed console. Not as bad as the VB, but definitely one of Nintendo's biggest failures. It only had about 500 games made for it. 20 of which were actually worth buying. Nintendo's attempt at "Blending in" was a failure. Hell, even the N64 had a wonky controller, the Gamecube controller looked about as normal as a 360 pad looks today.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valwin said:
NiGHtS said:
Remember this guys?
-snip-

closedeyes.gif

frown.gif

that console dint do very good you know
Yeah, I consider it the worst Nintendo system that wasn't a failure. It's library of good games wasn't that large, it was competing against the PS2 (my all-time favorite system), and although I love the controller, the controllers look weird.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Sterling said:
NiGHtS said:
Remember this guys?
*Snip gigantic image
closedeyes.gif

frown.gif

The gamecube was a failed console. Not as bad as the VB, but definitely one of Nintendo's biggest failures. It only had about 500 games made for it. 20 of which were actually worth buying. Nintendo's attempt at "Blending in" was a failure. Hell, even the N64 had a wonky controller, the Gamecube controller looked about as normal as a 360 pad looks today.

The gamecube had amazing first party support though dont forget that. This console was actually worth buying because of it's amazing first party support, or at least I feel that.

There were SO MANY classics on here that you couldn't find on PS2 or Xbox. I wish I could say the same for the Wii, but I just think that the number of quality titles really declined, both first and third party.

And many promising titles were ruined by tacked on controls.

Commercially the GC was a hugh fail, but the few titles it did have made it worth owning, even as a secondary console. The wii's a hugh success, but how many titles are truly 'killer app' on that console? Despite the number of titles on it, the number of 'killer app' games on the Wii are far and few.

EDIT: Weeell judging by the replies I guess I'm the only one that thought the GC was one of Nintendo's bests.
frown.gif
The controller was amazing for me.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll agree with you on it's first party support. I consider it one of Nintendo's best dev console. Personally, some of my most favourite games are on the Gamecube. Wind Waker, SSBM, Sunshine, Gameboy Player, Stadium, and a few other I may not have played. 8 or more out of the 20 worth titles are First party developers.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Sterling said:
I'll agree with you on it's first party support. I consider it one of Nintendo's best dev console. Personally, some of my most favourite games are on the Gamecube. Wind Waker, SSBM, Sunshine, Gameboy Player, Stadium, and a few other I may not have played. 8 or more out of the 20 worth titles are First party developers.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I was going for
smile.gif

In it's 6 year life-time(it may go on for more, but it's coming to an end), the Wii could never match the great gamecube titles...

[Smash bros, Luigi's mansion, Sunshine, Wind Waker, Four swords, Gotcha force, Rogue Squadron 2+3, Pkmn Colosseum, Pikmin 1+2, F-zero, Starfox Adventures+Assault, Super monkey ball(the originals), Wave race, NBA Courtside, Chibi Robo, Mario kart, Donkey Konga games...]

And so many more. The list just goes on and on.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He should stop making excuses and live with it. Its their fault for providing the details the way it is at e#. And I'm sure I'm not the only one not very excited about the WiiU. I was pretty hyped about the Wii before launch, but the WiiU? Not at all.

Edit: Now that I think of it, they probably announced Smash Bros. 4 just to get some sort of hype because there was nothing else despite the fact that there's absolutely nothing done about it.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
joshua8 said:
People are forgetting that Nintendo doesn't NEED to revolutionize gaming with EVERY console they make.
As long as they improve on the last, and offer the same great games as they always do.

Seriously, what else could they have done?
Holograms?
laugh.gif
This. Seriously stop criticizing the WiiU, if Iwata claims that the experience is really different then we should wait until we get our hands on a WiiU before jumping into harsh conclusions that the WiiU is faulty or not innovation.

In this case, Sony fans are far better than us then. Atleast they never complained that "PS3 is only a PS2 with more graphics!! Damn you Sony!!"

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why couldn't they just have used a 3DS instead of the Wii U controller? Kind of like GBA did with the GC? Of course, since you can use Wiimotes already, this shouldn't be an issue... And it would tie in their products nicely.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Valwin said:
and the wii lack third party support due to not been strong enouf this time around they are back STRONG

It really doesn't matter anymore since it feels to be too late. Why would anybody whose been enjoying these third party titles on the Xbox 360 or PS3 spend another couple hundred bucks on a new console to play probably the same third party games. All those third party games are already highly established on those consoles. It's 5 years behind on major third parties. It's up to date on tech but that hardly matters anymore.

And yet neither the PS3 or 360 have strong 1st party support, their games are pretty much crap and rehashes, not that Nintendo hasn't used their franchises but the fact is that they have more of them and consistently put out quality games when they make a big budget game rather then the Mario sports games and whatnot. I mean honestly, Microsoft has ONE game that is a 1st party exclusive and that is Halo, Sony has several though but they pretty much milked that cash cow back on the PS2 pretty hard.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
Why couldn't they just have used a 3DS instead of the Wii U controller? Kind of like GBA did with the GC? Of course, since you can use Wiimotes already, this shouldn't be an issue... And it would tie in their products nicely.
Isn't that kind of the point? To make the Wii controller investment that Nintendo themselves put into it more worthwhile as well as that of the consumer makes complete sense, abandoning a still perfectly good and possibly more improved piece of technology after only a few years and minimal effective uses for it doesn't make sense. I would think Nintendo is going to take what they have learned with the controller and make it better from a game play perspective by improving it's responsiveness and accuracy.

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, the whole "only able to support one tablet controller at a time" thing seems like a huge problem. Not only do I prefer to play games with my friends in person instead of over the internet (it's like getting together for lunch as opposed to just chatting on the phone, the personal touch matters to me), but also....

The Wii is a party system. Get all your friends over, play Wii Sports all together with only one controller, or Mario Kart with 3 of your friends! Be social! Get together!

Now, it's "stay in the living room by yourself and only play games with others over the safety-bridge of the internet, where nobody will scare you by yelling at you when you beat them", which is a clearly mixed message when they're stapling the WiiU's image to the Wii's based on name alone if nothing else. It's going to appear to a lot of families (the main audience for purchasing the Wii, iirc) that Nintendo is leaving them in the dust by making it so that only one member of the family gets the cool new controller. That's going to be something that makes mom & dad think twice, when the salesmen tells them they'll have to decide which of their 2 children gets to hold the neato controller. Who wants that hassle?

To me, seems like the Wii's main audience is now going to be a little wary of the WiiU.

I think they'd have been better suited to name it something else, because making the recognition potential so acute by naming it after the Wii is just going to cause negative comparisons to the Wii when it's clearly moving away from being a family/group oriented experience to being more like XBOX live. Their target market (who hasn't heard about it yet) might freak out, and that means investors are being careful because they're worried that the folks most likely to buy a WiiU (Wii owners) might backstab Nintendo for what looks like disloyalty on Nintendo's part.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Blaze163 said:
Well my stock in Nintendo fell with the reveal when I realised that they're continuing their obsession with 'casual' gamers and gimmicky crap. The Wii-U? Stupid name, controller looks like a fucking brick, and a poorly made plastic brick at that, and while they claim that it'll have something for everyone, they said the same about the Wii and all it has is an endless collection of crappy mini game collections.

If it wasn't for the 3DS not being totally reliant on the somewhat questionable value of the 3D, I'd have given up on Nintendo entirely at this point.
And since when were e3 prototypes the final console design?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf