Iwata confused by Nintendo's Drop in Stock since Wii U Reveal

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Zekrom_cool, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Zekrom_cool
    OP

Member Zekrom_cool I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu

India
    [​IMG]

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has admitted that he’s thoroughly confused about Nintendo’s stock price drop after the Wii U was unveiled to the general public at E3 this week. There’s been a lot of speculation as to why the stock has dropped with Analyst Yusuke Tsunoda stating that the reason behind the drop was because Nintendo hadn’t announced anything that hadn’t already been leaked in the run up to E3. Anyone have any other ideas why Nintendo’s shares have fallen to a five year low?[/p]

[​IMG]Source

Edit by Cyan:
    Real source:
    http://mynintendonews.com

2. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Well my stock in Nintendo fell with the reveal when I realised that they're continuing their obsession with 'casual' gamers and gimmicky crap. The Wii-U? Stupid name, controller looks like a fucking brick, and a poorly made plastic brick at that, and while they claim that it'll have something for everyone, they said the same about the Wii and all it has is an endless collection of crappy mini game collections.

If it wasn't for the 3DS not being totally reliant on the somewhat questionable value of the 3D, I'd have given up on Nintendo entirely at this point.

3. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    This is agreed. Look at Nintendo's past.
    DS= Touchscreen
    Wii= Motion
    3DS= 3D

Wii U= A Controller with a Screen on It

It's not as catchy.

4. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States

strong third party support is casual to you ?

gimmicky how this is the less gimmicky i seem them they are all about the games this time around.

the controller looks fine and not only that is confirm from people in the show floor that is very confortable and sturdy so were are you getting thsoe ideas from also looking at something similar is the ipad a brick too ?

and the wii lack third party support due to not been strong enouf this time around they are back STRONG

also the stock fell too when the wii was shown and this time around it happen because nintedo dint xplain well heck even i was confuse

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It really doesn't matter anymore since it feels to be too late. Why would anybody whose been enjoying these third party titles on the Xbox 360 or PS3 spend another couple hundred bucks on a new console to play probably the same third party games. All those third party games are already highly established on those consoles. It's 5 years behind on major third parties. It's up to date on tech but that hardly matters anymore.

6. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    DAMM YOU SHOVEL-WARE !!!!

7. JoshuaS153

Member JoshuaS153 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    They should have explained things better at E3.
    they should have focused more on the console itself, rather than just showing off the controller

8. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    it means

the same third party support as other

New exclusive games !!!!!

the revolutionary new controler the thing is amzing

Nintedo first party games and series that you cant get nowere else

9. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I bet this drop is only for now.

Later on it'll go back.

Haven't Nintendo heard of 'depression'? [​IMG]

They have another shot at Nintendo World 2011. [​IMG]

10. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Interesting but not necessarily revolutionary.. Could be a success, but we need a bit more details on it, mmk?

-Qtis

11. Guild McCommunist

United States
    A) If you read my argument at all, you'd realize it doesn't mean the same third party support. They're five years behind on third party games. People won't rush out and spend all this money on a new console just because it's new to go play games they can play on consoles they already own.

B) Odds are it'll get less third party "exclusives" than the multiplats the PS3 and Xbox 360 have gotten over their lifetime.

C) Who cares? I just want to play fucking games. The controller is a nice idea but it won't make me run out and get one. A fancy controller is nothing without games to back it up.

D) You do realize most of the people who buy Nintendo first parties are people who'd buy them anyway? Every time they sell because every time they go out for the same group of Nintendo fans, exception being the shit games Nintendo pumps out like the whole "Wii" series (Wii Play, Wii Sports, etc). Most of the actual first party games people care for (Mario, Zelda, etc) usually sell roughly the same numbers every time. People who own a Xbox 360 or a PS3 and use it don't care about Nintendo first parties. I'd easily trade all Nintendo first party games for the third party support the PS3/Xbox 360 already got.

12. JoshuaS153

Member JoshuaS153 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    People are forgetting that Nintendo doesn't NEED to revolutionize gaming with EVERY console they make.
    As long as they improve on the last, and offer the same great games as they always do.

Seriously, what else could they have done?
    Holograms? [​IMG]

13. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    PRobqably because Sony's E3 presentation was much better than Nintendo's.

14. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I don't understand what's to be confused about. It wasn't a "complete breakthrough in gaming history that would be the greatest thing ever and revolutionize the-" well, I can't say the last part because it might actually happen, but still.
    Honestly I thought they were on par with each other.

15. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    TBH, I like the Wii U. The controller isn't that bad, just the button placement seems weird (The analog sticks should've been reconfigured, like the right one moved below the buttons).

The whole extra screen thing can allow for a lot of creativity with developers too. Games can have the HUD on the controller screen, leaving for full gameplay on the TV, or have inventories on the controller screen, with the rest of the game on the TV, etc.

People need to give it a chance and wait for some more details before instantly hating it.

16. Guild McCommunist

United States
    The idea of a HUD is kinda so you can have access to all the vital information while you're playing. Having to look down to check basic things like, I don't know, ammo, life, whatever, seems kinda silly.

Otherwise it has some good ideas for like keeping a map on the bottom (I'd see this being a huge benefit for Metroidvania games), putting menus on it (for some easy navigation via touch screen), maybe a few other things.

But really, my issue is that companies nowadays are too busy trying to make things new instead of just better. There was nothing wrong with your standard set of analog sticks and buttons. Last generation's consoles were essentially just upgrades of the previous generation of consoles and it was awesome. Nowadays companies are so busy trying to say "LOOK WE'RE INNOVATIVE!" to actually care about making an experience that's good for the gamer.

17. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    @TDWP FTW: Standardized gaming controls isn't something Nintendo "Does".

@Guild: It's funny because many arguments about Microsoft and Sony was because they didn't do anything new. I don't see how anything has changed concerning the companies. Nintendo revolutionized console gaming. Sony revolutionized disc based medium for consoles. Nintendo tried going with what was considered cool with the Gamecube, and was massively beat. The Wii revolutionized control, while Microsoft and Sony completely lagged behind (even releasing their own "Wii" funtions to a certain success). New concepts and insight is something Nintendo does best.

The HUD stands for "Heads Up Display", not "Heads Down Display". Inventory select screens come to mind more than ammo count and all that.

18. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    But considering the fact that everyone wants to develop on the latest platforms, releasing a new console a bit late is not necessarily great if the counterparts are already on par with it graphic wise (as stated in the Wii U presentation with PS3 game demos for the Wii U) and have a working game base + lots of devs on board the game releasing. Not all Nintendo Consoles have been the "hit of the generation". Just look at Sony with the Playstation :3

But as said before, we'll just have to see what happens. Stock market changes may actually happen just because someone starts to sell their stock for the fun of it. Not necessarily a bad sign.

-Qtis

19. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    PS3 did not become the "Hit of the Generation" until pretty much last year. Even then, the Wii is still selling.

20. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Nintendo's new scheme would be nothing if they didn't advertise the shit out of it to the casual, family-oriented crowd. Microsoft decided not to until they realized it was a good money making strategy and made the Kinect. Same with Sony and the Move. It's not new concepts that work, it's marketing new concepts as "right for you" and "family fun" that work.