Tutorial  Updated

Internal modchip - SAMD21 (Trinket M0, Gemma M0, ItsyBitsy M0 Express) Guide, Files & Support

Notice: I am not receiving notifications for this thread. I didn`t realise people were still posting in it.

Please please accept my apologies if I haven`t replied to tags etc... I have no idea what is happening. I`m subscribed to this thread but I am not receiving notifications. Please inbox me if possible. Or tag me in another thread.

Its amazing that people are still checking all of this out. I thank you for all of the help and support I have received in this thread over this year.

Cheers. Matty.

A video showing a modchip in action. Thank you once again to @metaljay for providing this. This is what you can achieve by fitting a chip!

Section 1. Gather your software.

Get your chip software from THIS THREAD.
Follow the flashing instructions there...

Section 2. Removing USB port and unneeded LEDs. (Adafruit chips only)
  • Next, we need to remove the USB port from the modchip. I recommend a heatgun or a rework station. Heat up until the USB port just lifts off the modchip.
  • Do the same for the LED just to the right of the USB port.
See picture:
20181031_110415.jpg

You are now ready to fit your device. Proceed to Fitting section.

Section 3. Fitting modchip to your Switch.
New Universal Method. All SAMD-based internal chips. If your chip is not supported and you cannot work it out, PM me.

Trinket M0.
Solder as laid out in the following picture

trinketfinal.jpg

==================================================
Rebug SwitchME M0. Use Trinket files.

rebugfinal.jpg

RCMX86 - Internal modchip version.

RCMX86-Internal-Final.jpg

Gemma M0. Use Gemma files.

gemma final.jpg

ItsyBitsy M0 Express. Use ItsyBitsy files.

itsybitsyfinal.jpg

Feather M0 Express. Use Feather files.

feather_final.jpg

BUILD YOUR OWN FROM A QFP ATSAMD21E18. Trinket equivalent pins.
Flash Trinket bootloader using OpenOCD via serial pins SWDIO / SWDCLK. Fit a reset switch somewhere... Or going to power / wake (aka method 2). If building for external use, it is good practice to fit a third capacitor between 3V & GND. This is deliberately vague and ambigious, as this needs research and you need to know what you are doing.

Link for setting the Pi up with OpenOCD: HERE
Raspberry Pi OpenOCD image in downloads section or HERE
SAMD pi connection.png

Alternative Solder Points

Credit to @consolex for original pic. I`ve added alternative points to solder to:
Alternatepoints.jpg

Credit to @pyorin for this much tidier version showing the same info as the above one!
Alternatepoints2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

alternative3v.jpg

Replacement Parts List

Ok... So you have damaged your switch soldering your chip in. Not to worry.

First things first, DO NOT BRIDGE THE CONTACTS HOPING TO REVIVE YOUR SWITCH. With resistors, you may possibly get away with this, but with the capacitors listed below, if you jump these points, you will make a nice short-circuit to the PMIC and / or the M92T36, killing them instantly. Don`t do it.

OK... I`ll list these parts with METHOD 2 & 3 TRINKET PIN NUMBERS and the values of the components they solder to.

TRINKET 3V (POWER SUPPLY) - 2.2uF 0402 size MLCC capacitor. Voltage unimportant as long as it is over 6.3v
TRINKET PIN 2 (POWER ON RESET - goes to pin 5 on M92T36)- 4.7uF 0402 size MLCC capacitor. Voltage unimportant as long as it is over 6.3v
TRINKET PIN 0 (VOL+) - 150R (150 ohms) 0201 Thick Film resistor. 50mW
TRINKET RESET (SWITCH POWER BUTTON) - 150R (150 ohms) 0201 Thick Film resistor. 50mW

I recommend RS components.

FAQ

Q - How do I boot the switch into APX (RCM) mode?

A - You need to short out pin 10 on the right joycon rail to GND with a jig or modded joycon or paperclip (not recommended... Buy a jig you cheap-ass gyppo). Once shorted out, hold down vol+ and power. The switch screen should be off... Plug into your PC and it should recognise a APX device. Well done. You are in RCM.

Q - What glue should I use?
A - Only glue if necessary! Ideally if your soldering is of sufficient quality and your wire is thin enough, you don`t need glue. I use a bit because I am OCD. Anyway, use Epoxy. It`s what I use. Gives you some working time, is solid. Superglue makes a mess DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE. The only thing super about it is how it melts things. Epoxy won`t stick to the shield long-term, so bear that in mind. Pure Acetone will remove epoxy. Acetone tends to remove / melt anything to be warned. CHECK YOUR GLUE WON`T GO CONDUCTIVE OVER TIME - LOOKING AT YOU SCAMSUNG! The combination of heat cycles and absorbing of moisture can turn adhesive into a high-impedance connection!

Q - What size wire should I use?
A - I use AWG40 magnet wire or AWG30 Kynar. AWG40 goes onto components easier... And if you snap it, chances are the wire will snap and not the trace / component.
A2 - You can also use AWG30. I recommend Kynar wrapping wire but any will do. Looks nice, good resistance to elements, tidy. Nothing thicker than AWG30. You are just causing yourself more headaches. Trust me.

Q - Is AWG40 thick enough?
A - Yes. AWG40 is good for around 90mA.

Q - which methods do you recommend?
A - Connect all the straps...

Q - how do you recommend to set it up?
A - Fusee Suite. Search for Fusee Suite or go to link at top of this OP.

Q - My switch is flat and won't turn on.
A - Have you got the charger connected? Disconnect it or your switch won't boot! Boot to a payload (SX loader/Hekate), reconnect charger and leave on the payload menu and charge. Leave for 15 minutes and switch will start normally. It will continue charging one booted.

Disclaimer:
You have only yourself to blame. This voids warranty. This may or may not get you banned from online services. If it does, you got yourself banned. I`m not responsible if you kill your switch / your first-born with any of this in this post. I`m not infalliable. I`m partly senile. Do your own research. Kids, get bill payers permission before you attempt even using a screwdriver.
NUTSHELL: Don`t come having a go at me because you fooked your £300 console up. I`ll do my best to help you though if you do, Just don`t blame me.

Credits to Quantum-Cross, Atlas44, @Ninoh-FOX , @jcrorxp , @tecfreak, @mooglazer, @subcon959, @64Dp128k, @mikeleuskaldunak, @M-O-B, CTCaer, @evilsperm, @consolex and everyone else for valuable input.

IF YOU REQUIRE SUPPORT, IF YOUR CONSOLE ISN`T WORKING CORRECTLY... PLEASE POST A HIGH RESOLUTION PICTURE OF YOUR INSTALL. You might think it isn`t your soldering, but in all cases with the new methods, it is bad soldering. So, please post a picture.

A BRIEF WARNING - PLEASE READ
THIS MOD IS NOT FOR THE FEINT OF HEART. WE ARE SOLDERING TO TRACES AND COMPONENTS ON THE FRONT SIDE OF THE BOARD TO SAVE HAVING TO REMOVE THE BOARD AND SOLDER TO TESTPOINTS. IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING, OR THINK YOU ARE GOING TO STRUGGLE, PLEASE PLEASE SOLDER TO THE TEST POINTS NOTED IN THIS AND OTHER THREADS (YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE MOTHERBOARD). DOUBLE - TRIPLE CHECK EVERYTHING. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Good soldering skills are needed!
A magnifying glass is needed!
Good soldering iron needed - ideally with a 0.3 conical tip. No more than 30w!
SECURE YOUR WIRES PRIOR TO SOLDERING. Stick them down with double-sided tape.
Only use glue if you need to and glue wires after soldering. Don`t glue the solder to the component!
Put the tiniest amount of glue on the PCB mask only. Never on components. Use a cocktail stick for more glue control!!!
Take a look at alternative solder points to get you out of the sh*t if you do rip something off the board
If you aren`t the best at soldering, then think very carefully about connecting to pin 6 capacitor (the one in these new methods). If you rip this pad, you WILL NEED TO REMOVE YOUR BOARD and run from a testpoint.

Attachments

• Trinket equivalent.png
    Trinket equivalent.png
    118 KB · Views: 3,796
Last edited by mattytrog,

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you’re not really responding to what I wrote. I am telling you that you have an error in your helate_ipl.ini file and you respond with one word…
atmosphere

Correct. You want FUSEE-UF2 to chain load Hekate.

How are you accomplishing this?

You do not want to use AutoRCM. That is the whole point of having a Trinket M0. No more need for jigs, or auto RCM or injectors. Trinket handles all of that if you connect all 7 wires.

Great

You do not want to do this…you want to use an unchanging FUSEE-UF2 to chainload an often updated Hekate.x.x.x.bin.

You’re sure you don’t want to run on an Emunand?

Regardless, that fss0 line should read:

payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin
I use this one and works with hekate.

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=0
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
backlight=100

[CFW - Atmosphere]
payload=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp
Post automatically merged:

you’re not really responding to what I wrote. I am telling you that you have an error in your helate_ipl.ini file and you respond with one word…
atmosphere

Correct. You want FUSEE-UF2 to chain load Hekate.

How are you accomplishing this?

You do not want to use AutoRCM. That is the whole point of having a Trinket M0. No more need for jigs, or auto RCM or injectors. Trinket handles all of that if you connect all 7 wires.

Great

You do not want to do this…you want to use an unchanging FUSEE-UF2 to chainload an often updated Hekate.x.x.x.bin.
I want the switch to boot up to cfw, with only the power button without the combo of pwr and +vol.

- iam sorry if not clear.

1. My goal is, auto cfw atmosphere when i press the pwr btn.
2. Now i have FUSEE-UF2.

How can i archive this with having SafeFailRCM.

One more quiestion, why cant i acces UF2 bootloader.
- with switch off: press 2x the resset btn notting happen.
- with switch onn: press 2x the resset btn red ligh goes on and stays.

- with switch off and usb inserted: press 2x the resset btn red ligh goes on and stays.

I notices, that trinket needs 3 volt to oparate. i solder my 3v line to the switches momory.
When the switch is in off state i dont get any 3v comming to the trinket, eve not when pressing 2x reset.

Last edited by taxco,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=0
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
backlight=100

[CFW - Atmosphere]
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1

I want the switch to boot up to cfw, with only the power button without the combo of pwr and +vol.
Please take a look at the guide I posted above.

you have:

payload=/atmosphere/package3

For package3 the keywords is not payload but fss0 instead like this:

fss0=/atmosphere/package3

If you want to use fusee.bin THEN you would use the payload keyword.

payload=/bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin

Yes, this is how mine works. Just press the power button and it launches Atmosphere on Emunand.

2. Now i have FUSEE-UF2.
Great!

Please set up your hekate to match the guide I posted. No need for AutoRCM. The Trinket M0 with FUSEE-UF2 will handle all that for you.

- with switch off and usb inserted: press 2x the resset btn red ligh goes on and stays.

The Trinket is in the ready state and has everything it needs to push a payload. If you want to change the payload you will need to reset it. Here is how:

1) Turn the switch on

2) plug in your usb to PC cable

3) wait for the Trinket to stop flashing

4) press the reset button twice with a slow and steady pace. There is a video clip in this thread that shows how slow to go.

5) when you get it right you will hear your USB alert on your PC and a new Trinket device will pop up on your PC and you can open it and see your UF2 file and replace it with a new payload if you’d like.

The video that shows how fast to click is in the first post over here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/trinket...fusee_suite-uf2-packages.553998/#post-8887116

I notices, that trinket needs 3 volt to oparate. i solder my 3v line to the switches momory.
When the switch is in off state i dont get any 3v comming to the trinket, eve not when pressing 2x reset.

I trust that you followed the instructions and soldered to the connection points laid 0ut by this guide. If you made up your own connection points then you will need to troubleshoot any issues that might pop up.

Reactions: impeeza

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please take a look at the guide I posted above.

you have:

For package3 the keywords is not payload but fss0 instead like this:

If you want to use fusee.bin THEN you would use the payload keyword.

Yes, this is how mine works. Just press the power button and it launches Atmosphere on Emunand.

Great!

Please set up your hekate to match the guide I posted. No need for AutoRCM. The Trinket M0 with FUSEE-UF2 will handle all that for you.

The Trinket is in the ready state and has everything it needs to push a payload. If you want to change the payload you will need to reset it. Here is how:

1) Turn the switch on

2) plug in your usb to PC cable

3) wait for the Trinket to stop flashing

4) press the reset button twice with a slow and steady pace. There is a video clip in this thread that shows how slow to go.

5) when you get it right you will hear your USB alert on your PC and a new Trinket device will pop up on your PC and you can open it and see your UF2 file and replace it with a new payload if you’d like.

The video that shows how fast to click is in the first post over here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/trinket...fusee_suite-uf2-packages.553998/#post-8887116

I trust that you followed the instructions and soldered to the connection points laid 0ut by this guide. If you made up your own connection points then you will need to troubleshoot any issues that might pop up.
iam sorry to bother you much.

I went back to Fusee-Suite/Old/ and here auto rcm just works great, even the 2x reset werkt much beter than the newer one, dont know why.

I want to use the newes one.
Can you please explain by steps what i need to get the latest Fusee autoboot to cfw with just the powerbtn. thank you

* Tried latest Fusee-Suite and again no luck, do i need special kind of henkate?
btw i changed the ini to fss0=atmosphere/package3

Last edited by taxco,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iam sorry to bother you much.

I went back to Fusee-Suite/Old/ and here auto rcm just works great, even the 2x reset werkt much beter than the newer one, dont know why.

When you say AutoRCM do you mean the automated process provided by the Trinket or the feature built in to Hekate?

I believe the double click process is built in to the Trinket. I think you are just getting better at the timing.

CBC8098F-F550-41DD-89C1-8FA8E39CEA78.jpeg
I want to use the newes one.
Can you please explain by steps what i need to get the latest Fusee autoboot to cfw with just the powerbtn. thank you

Not sure if me rewriting the instructions in different words is going to help much.

Perhaps we can do this in reverse. You can go through the instructions line at a time and tell us what you are doing for each step in the instructions and we can tell if you are doing them properly.

* Tried latest Fusee-Suite and again no luck, do i need special kind of henkate?
There are changes about where you need additional copy of fusee.bin in the instructions. You don’t need anything special in addition.
btw i changed the ini to fss0=atmosphere/package3
Yay! :-)

Last edited by binkinator,
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

idSkeetOnU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if u have trinket soldered with 7 straps then u can change autoboot cfw to dualboot or vice versa. when switch is powered on then long press vol+ and trinket will blink. thats it no need for autorcm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221-073415_Dolphin.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-073415_Dolphin.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 42

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if u have trinket soldered with 7 straps then u can change autoboot cfw to dualboot or vice versa. when switch is powered on then long press vol+ and trinket will blink. thats it no need for autorcm
no i have 6 straps, i did not connect the vol+,

cant i use one of the stetting uf2 file thats has permanent auto cfw boot

Please anyone,

How can i get CFW to boot when the power btn is pressed.
I have

- Latest atmosphere.
- Latest Patches.
- Hekate.

I got Fusee-Suite with Part_2_LONG_PRESS_FLASH_SECOND

Last edited by taxco,

idSkeetOnU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no i have 6 straps, i did not connect the vol+,

cant i use one of the stetting uf2 file thats has permanent auto cfw boot

Please anyone,

How can i get CFW to boot when the power btn is pressed.
I have

- Latest atmosphere.
- Latest Patches.
- Hekate.

I got Fusee-Suite with Part_2_LONG_PRESS_FLASH_SECOND
i think u need vol+ strap to be able to shutdown system then powerup to cfw. if not u stuck with dualboot. the alt point on back of board is what i used. very easy to solder to.

Reactions: binkinator

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i think u need vol+ strap to be able to shutdown system then powerup to cfw. if not u stuck with dualboot. the alt point on back of board is what i used. very easy to solder to.
Oke will try today, are there new alt point in the front for the vol+, dont want to take everything out.

What about autorcm with hekate, it works with older uf2 file.
Is it trust worty.
Battery drain etc?

This one easy to install?
See pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222_090621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222_090621_Chrome.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by taxco,

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Autorcm never had battery drain. But the people thought that autorcm would cause that.
Are there any other issue with autorcm?
If chager is plugged to it will go to black screen and wont push the paypload.
Right?

If battery goed to zero, will it still chare
Thx

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
When you say AutoRCM do you mean the automated process provided by the Trinket or the feature built in to Hekate?

I believe the double click process is built in to the Trinket. I think you are just getting better at the timing.

View attachment 343662

Not sure if me rewriting the instructions in different words is going to help much.

Perhaps we can do this in reverse. You can go through the instructions line at a time and tell us what you are doing for each step in the instructions and we can tell if you are doing them properly.

There are changes about where you need additional copy of fusee.bin in the instructions. You don’t need anything special in addition.

wow @binkinator you are a saint, you have the patience of Job. :grog:

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 343662

You're a genius, @binkinator. :hrth:

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=0
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
backlight=100

[CFW - Atmosphere]
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1

2. Now i have FUSEE-UF2.

Can we start over plz.

currently i have:
- Trinket installed with 6 starps. ( No Vol+ strap ).
- Latest Fusee Suit from mattytrog.
- Latest Atmosphere.
- Latest patches.
CFW, Dual boot, all works.

- What i would like to have is automatic CFW boot with just the power button, best without the autorcm.
- is it necessary to have Vol+ strap for cfw boot with the power button? is there a work around?

This is my ini file:

[CFW - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1

THX

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we start over plz.

currently i have:
- Trinket installed with 6 starps. ( No Vol+ strap ).
- Latest Fusee Suit from mattytrog.
- Latest Atmosphere.
- Latest patches.
CFW, Dual boot, all works.

- What i would like to have is automatic CFW boot with just the power button, best without the autorcm.
- is it necessary to have Vol+ strap for cfw boot with the power button? is there a work around?

This is my ini file:

[CFW - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1

THX

E: I might be wrong about the Vol(+) and ability to autoboot CFW.

…from the README:

Connect USB D+/D-, 3V, GND and Joycon strap(THIS IS BARE MINIMUM. No permanent CFW boot is possible, as VOL+ strap is not fitted so will ALWAYS be dual-boot

Vol(+) is not absolutely required to do this. not sure about this after reading the above statement

The latest V9 software is only supported via the docs @mattytrog has kindly provided on GitHub. Most folks here will not likely have installed it as the earlier versions just work. Of that subset of people, even fewer will have done it without the Vol(+) button.

latest software, limited user base, limited support and without the configure strap = you are doing this one on hard mod.

Since you are not installing Vol(+) you will need to pre-load all you settings in advance.

I’ve done extensive research into how to do this with V6/7 but have not looked into the new V9 series. It does look similar but there are some new terms I’ve not played with.

Fortunately the instructions on how to do this for V9 are located here:

https://github.com/mattytrog/FUSEE_SUITE/tree/master/Fusee-Suite/SETTINGS_UF2

Last edited by binkinator,

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
E: I might be wrong about the Vol(+) and ability to autoboot CFW.

…from the README:

Vol(+) is not absolutely required to do this. not sure about this after reading the above statement

The latest V9 software is only supported via the docs @mattytrog has kindly provided on GitHub. Most folks here will not likely have installed it as the earlier versions just work. Of that subset of people, even fewer will have done it without the Vol(+) button.

latest software, limited user base, limited support and without the configure strap = you are doing this one on hard mod.

Since you are not installing Vol(+) you will need to pre-load all you settings in advance.

I’ve done extensive research into how to do this with V6/7 but have not looked into the new V9 series. It does look similar but there are some new terms I’ve not played with.

Fortunately the instructions on how to do this for V9 are located here:

I have tried few of these UF2 files, but i dont know wich one i need for autoboot to cfw.
Form what i understand, that these files are pre configured to be used witout the vol+ strap right?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They are simple to modify using a hex editor

I would recommend starting with the blank.uf2 and reading through the instructions line by line to get it exactly how you would like.
View attachment 344204
I wn trough it 20 times, the couple of days, tried few of the pre sett us2 files, is there a SETTINGS_UF2 files you suggets to trie that would work for autoboot cfw

SETTINGS_B_JVU_B1_2_LP.UF2

SETTINGS_B_JVU_B1_2_LP.UF2​

• B = BLACK
  • JVU = ALL STRAPS PRE_CHECKED
  • B1 = DUAL-BOOT / CHIP_RCM AVAILABLE
  • 2 = OPTION 2 (CHIP_RCM - aka AUTORCM SELECTED)
  • LP = LONG-PRESS VOLUME ONBOARD CHIP SETTINGS ADJUSTMENT
Here is states it has Chip_RCM by default enabled, this one should workd right?

Last edited by taxco,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wn trough it 20 times, the couple of days, tried few of the pre sett us2 files, is there a SETTINGS_UF2 files you suggets to trie that would work for autoboot cfw

SETTINGS_B_JVU_B1_2_LP.UF2

SETTINGS_B_JVU_B1_2_LP.UF2​

• B = BLACK
  • JVU = ALL STRAPS PRE_CHECKED
  • B1 = DUAL-BOOT / CHIP_RCM AVAILABLE
  • 2 = OPTION 2 (CHIP_RCM - aka AUTORCM SELECTED)
  • LP = LONG-PRESS VOLUME ONBOARD CHIP SETTINGS ADJUSTMENT
Here is states it has Chip_RCM by default enabled, this one should workd right?
I’m not sure to be honest. You are blazing new trails and are going to have to experiment a little to see if the new V9 version will work with the limitations you’ve set for yourself. Once you figure it out though, you will be able to help others in the same situation.

taxco

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I’m not sure to be honest. You are blazing new trails and are going to have to experiment a little to see if the new V9 version will work with the limitations you’ve set for yourself. Once you figure it out though, you will be able to help others in the same situation.
Oke, thx gonna try.
Do you know the difrence between failsafe and chiprcm?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7