empithree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi,

I've been working on getting RCMLoader to be installed internally in an Unpatched V1 Nintendo Switch. It is like Trinket M0 -esque functionality.

I am going to share about it here.

Difficulty:- 6/10

I will go through the pros & cons of this procedure, what item I used, and how was it holding up.

Item needed: -

1. Fine tip soldering iron
2. Soldering peripherals - Solder, Flux, Braid.
3. Hot air station
4. 18/19 gauge wire.
5. Metal cutter (optional - to cut a portion of the metal backplate to allow RCMloader board to sit)
6. 1 RCMloader per device. Cost me around 10USD each.

Pro:-
1. No need to bring physical RCM loader
2. Fairly straightforward soldering work
3. No need to worry about RCM loader battery faulty/depleted

Con:-
1. No longer be able to use 1 RCM loader onto multiple V1 Switchs
2. Can't load multiple payload by selecting the + button. Only 1 payload.
3. Must use JIG, Joycon mod, or Auto-RCM.

Step taken:-

1. Copy the payload.bin provided into your RCM loader. This payload is a forwarder Payload that will load the \atmosphere\reboot_payload.bin.
Found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragonboot-for-atmosphere-generic-rcm-tools.581600/post-9571750

This is the RCMLoader I used:- It's a clone so the injection time is a little longer than the original.

20230204_184847.jpg

2. To do this you need to pry open the plastic part. It will left you with this.

20230203_114541.jpg

4. Use hot air station to remove Male USB C and Female Micro USB connector (too thick to fit into the Switch's internal). On my 2nd attempt, I removed the reset pushbutton as well. Much more cleaner.

This is the result

20230203_115040.jpg20230203_115457.jpg

3. There's 2 ways to do this (or combination of both). I marked the points to solder wires.

From Above

20230203_213540.jpg

From Below

20230203_213440.jpg

Legend-
RED - +3.3V
BLUE - GND
GREEN - D+
ORANGE - D-

4. Wired them up similar to Trinket M0 wiring. But WITHOUT the Joycon Strap, USB Disconnect, and Vol+ Strap.

trinketfinal2.jpg

This is how I do my first mod

20230203_122620.jpg

Video result of installation :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_h59otF3Q&ab_channel=DadEmpithree

Additional information.

1. This won't allow you to update the payload in the RCMloader anymore. I tried connecting in various ways to let Windows detect my RCM loader, but due to the D+ and D- connected to the Switch, Switch APX and Hekate took priority. But by using the payload.bin provided, it will never need to be updated anymore, just update the file in the MicroSD card. Hekate USB UMS functionality works without issue.

2. When charging the Switch from off or flat battery, the Switch will automatically goes into RCM mode (for Auto-RCM). Once charger plugged out. Internal RCMloader will automatically kicks in and inject the payload.

3. It is recommended to use Auto-RCM (activated from Hekate). But if user not preferring it, Rail Jig or Joycon Mod is needed. Please note that this function exactly as the RCMloader, but it's internal now.

Any question is welcome.

Disclaimer: - I am not responsible for the damage of your properties, bricking your Nintendo Switch, climate change, total human annihilation, nuclear war, etc

Attachments

• payload.zip
    26.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20230203_114541.jpg
    20230203_114541.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited by empithree,

empithree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I've been working on getting RCMLoader to be installed internally in an Unpatched V1 Nintendo Switch. It is like Trinket M0 -esque functionality.

I am going to share about it here.

Difficulty:- 6/10

I will go through the pros & cons of this procedure, what item I used, and how was it holding up.

Item needed: -

1. Fine tip soldering iron
2. Soldering peripherals - Solder, Flux, Braid.
3. Hot air station
4. 18/19 gauge wire.
5. Metal cutter (optional - to cut a portion of the metal backplate to allow RCMloader board to sit)
6. 1 RCMloader per device. Cost me around 10USD each.

Pro:-
1. No need to bring physical RCM loader
2. Fairly straightforward soldering work
3. No need to worry about RCM loader battery faulty/depleted

Con:-
1. No longer be able to use 1 RCM loader onto multiple V1 Switchs
2. Can't load multiple payload by selecting the + button. Only 1 payload.
3. Must use JIG, Joycon mod, or Auto-RCM.

Step taken:-

1. Copy the payload.bin provided into your RCM loader. This payload is a forwarder Payload that will load the \atmosphere\reboot_payload.bin.
Found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragonboot-for-atmosphere-generic-rcm-tools.581600/post-9571750

This is the RCMLoader I used:- It's a clone so the injection time is a little longer than the original.

View attachment 351016

2. To do this you need to pry open the plastic part. It will left you with this.

View attachment 351015

4. Use hot air station to remove Male USB C and Female Micro USB connector (too thick to fit into the Switch's internal). On my 2nd attempt, I removed the reset pushbutton as well. Much more cleaner.

This is the result

View attachment 351021View attachment 351020

3. There's 2 ways to do this (or combination of both). I marked the points to solder wires.

From Above

View attachment 351019

From Below

View attachment 351018

Legend-
RED - +3.3V
BLUE - GND
GREEN - D+
ORANGE - D-

4. Wired them up similar to Trinket M0 wiring. But WITHOUT the Joycon Strap, USB Disconnect, and Vol+ Strap.

View attachment 351100

This is how I do my first mod

View attachment 351101

Video result of installation :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_h59otF3Q&ab_channel=DadEmpithree

Additional information.

1. This won't allow you to update the payload in the RCMloader anymore. I tried connecting in various ways to let Windows detect my RCM loader, but due to the D+ and D- connected to the Switch, Switch APX and Hekate took priority. But by using the payload.bin provided, it will never need to be updated anymore, just update the file in the MicroSD card. Hekate USB UMS functionality works without issue.

2. When charging the Switch from off or flat battery, the Switch will automatically goes into RCM mode (for Auto-RCM). Once charger plugged out. Internal RCMloader will automatically kicks in and inject the payload.

3. It is recommended to use Auto-RCM (activated from Hekate). But if user not preferring it, Rail Jig or Joycon Mod is needed. Please note that this function exactly as the RCMloader, but it's internal now.

Any question is welcome.

Disclaimer: - I am not responsible for the damage of your properties, bricking your Nintendo Switch, climate change, total human annihilation, nuclear war, etc
Using Hakate.5.x.x.bin for bootloader?

empithree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Using Hakate.5.x.x.bin for bootloader?
no sir, I am using a payload forwarder that will read the atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin

for those who want's to load hekate, shall replace the file with hekate's payload bin. but i would suggest to use hekate for chainloading as you lose capability to select payload physically since there will be no button press on the rcmloader anymore once installed internally.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no sir, I am using a payload forwarder that will read the atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin

for those who want's to load hekate, shall replace the file with hekate's payload bin. but i would suggest to use hekate for chainloading as you lose capability to select payload physically since there will be no button press on the rcmloader anymore once installed internally.
Aha. Reboot_payload should get updated during an upgrade so that‘s great. Was thinking about a forward to /bootloader/update.bin since that comes w/ hekate.

Really clever hardware hack! Thanks for posting!

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

empithree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The best will be ArgonNX-SE, you will never need to update the payload and you can controll which payload to load on the Console SD Card.

Yeah, i read about that, however when i go to their github, i noticed that they are updating every now and then. maybe not as often but to get the latest functionality, you have to update it. haven't tried it, but i guess you have to set something up to load the desired payload? comparing the bin from random releases shows differences between them, so i don't know if by having the files in sd updated without updating the payload would work or no.

the payload.bin on my attachment, the functionality is solely to boot the atmosphere\reboot_payload.bin, so if anyone wants different payload, only to replace that file on your SD.

ArgonNX-SE might be the choice for a lot of people. but I like the simplicity of having it loads directly to reboot_payload.bin, as it comes as a package with atmosphere.

Aha. Reboot_payload should get updated during an upgrade so that‘s great. Was thinking about a forward to /bootloader/update.bin since that comes w/ hekate.

Really clever hardware hack! Thanks for posting!
i don't know about others, but my setup usually brings the console back to hekate if i were to invoke reboot to payload from hbmenu or restarting the switch. as atmosphere will load the reboot_payload.bin when asked to restart. thus killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

for those who doesn't use hekate as launcher can also benefitting from this, as standalone atmosphere will for sure have reboot_payload.bin included in the package

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try changing the following settings in your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file and see how you like it.

bootwait=1
autoboot=2

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate#hekate-global-configuration-keysvalues-when-entry-is-config

This will reduce the amount of time it waits on the hekate splashscreen down to 1 second and then automatically boot the second tile (looks like CFW/Sysnand) if you do NOT press the (Vol -) button. If you do press the (Vol -) button it will stop the autoboot and let you chose which tile you want to boot.

bottom line: faster and no touch for the 99% of times you want to just boot up and go.

e: (Just change autoboot=3 if you want your CFW Emunand to be primary.)

Last edited by binkinator,

empithree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Try changing the following settings in your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file and see how you like it.

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate#hekate-global-configuration-keysvalues-when-entry-is-config

This will reduce the amount of time it waits on the hekate splashscreen down to 1 second and then automatically boot the second tile (looks like CFW/Sysnand) if you do NOT press the (Vol -) button. If you do press the (Vol -) button it will stop the autoboot and let you chose which tile you want to boot.

bottom line: faster and no touch for the 99% of times you want to just boot up and go.
Whoa, that's nice. I usually alternating between sysnand and emunand. but will do this for my kid's switch. so less thing got mess around then they powered on the unit, now that the unit can directly turn on without needing the RCMLoader dongle anymore :)

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
great work!
i've been doing this install since last year, converting dongles to dongle-less setups
there's one specific model of the rcmloader that loads too fast and could not catch the console boot up, i had to wire it to the pw button to reset and inject again, new models seem to be released as they try to make the rcmloader as cheap as they could.

also the newer rcmloaders lost the pads at the back (in gbatemp it was tagged as a fake rcmloader) but wiring it should be similar, only downside, the payloads cant be changed, not really an issue as long as it can catch hekate.
also removed the usb port and the type c plug + the switch to prevent accidents.

excellent share for those who haven't figured it out yet.

empithree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
great work!
i've been doing this install since last year, converting dongles to dongle-less setups
there's one specific model of the rcmloader that loads too fast and could not catch the console boot up, i had to wire it to the pw button to reset and inject again, new models seem to be released as they try to make the rcmloader as cheap as they could.

also the newer rcmloaders lost the pads at the back (in gbatemp it was tagged as a fake rcmloader) but wiring it should be similar, only downside, the payloads cant be changed, not really an issue as long as it can catch hekate.
also removed the usb port and the type c plug + the switch to prevent accidents.

excellent share for those who haven't figured it out yet.

Use payload that I attached will solve the need to update payload regardless what needs to be loaded. But great share nonetheless

• Love
Reactions: leerz

empithree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well, now we need to see which one we should use for dual boot.
Well done. I wanted to tap from that capacitor for the 3.3v but don't have enough confident 😅.

You can also trim the USB C edge with cutter just to make it flush.

What payload you put inside before the operation?

Magic009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well done. I wanted to tap from that capacitor for the 3.3v but don't have enough confident 😅.

You can also trim the USB C edge with cutter just to make it flush.

What payload you put inside before the operation?
Just use the one you attached, test before putting everything in order, that payload works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: