I'm sure some of what I have read is just how people are online, but I have never seen a remake of anything getting more love than the original. They are criticized to hell and back, and the criticism is usually pretty warranted too.
Resident Evil 2 Remake absolutely nailed it. Capcom kept the soul of the original but rebuilt everything from scratch. The over-the-shoulder camera made Mr. X genuinely terrifying in a way the fixed camera never could. It sold 13 million copies for a reason.
Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 is another one. Bluepoint basically rebuilt every texture and model but didn't touch the gameplay or level design. It felt exactly like you remembered it, which is the whole point.
The ones that fail are the ones that try to "fix" things that weren't broken. Or the ones that strip out content to sell it back as DLC.
Post automatically merged:
Resident Evil 2 remake is probably the gold standard. It took what made the original great, modernized the controls and camera, and added enough new content that it felt fresh even if you'd played the PS1 version a dozen times. They didn't try to make it something it wasn't.
I think the pattern is: remakes that respect the original design and just improve what was limited by the hardware tend to work. Remakes that try to "reimagine" the game for a new audience usually lose what made people love it in the first place.
Post automatically merged:
Resident Evil 2 remake is probably the gold standard for me. They modernized the controls and camera without trying to turn it into something it wasn't. The original DNA was still there.
I think remakes work best when they respect the original design and just improve what was limited by the hardware. The ones that try to completely reimagine the game for a new audience usually lose what made people love it.
Are we talking video games exclusively here, or movies/tv also?
Ben Hur with Charlton Heston was better entertainment than the original film. Even though the original was the bigger production, it was done in the silent and b&w era, so it's more of an academic exercise to watch it now than actual entertainment.
But remakes are usually a downgrade from the original. On the video game subject, Ocarina and Majora's Mask on 3DS are examples of remakes that actually improved on the originals. But that's not the norm.
Good point. Nintendo remakes do the originals justice without pissing all over its legacy. Mostly.
Shadow of the Colossus is not a good remake though. I guess most people haven't played the original but the PS4 simply does not have the same vibes. It feels like any other AAA game whereas the PS2 version felt unique.
Resident Evil, though..... I guess the remakes are better for most players due to the horseshit difficulty of the originals, but the originals have their own charm and personality. The remakes feel like just a generic horror game.
I think Remakes that improve or add things but don't change the core game can be really good, like Super Mario All-Stars, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, and some can even be considered better than the original like Resident Evil 1, where they kept everything and also added new areas, enemies and story. But for the most part I don't see a reason for remakes, unless the source code of the original game got lost or for games where the developers intended to add more features but couldn't due to time constraints or hardware limitations.
I'm sure some of what I have read is just how people are online, but I have never seen a remake of anything getting more love than the original. They are criticized to hell and back, and the criticism is usually pretty warranted too.
I'd argue that Metroid Zero Mission is a remake worth supplanting the OG NES Metroid.
That being said, my inference of the Metroid timeline would say that there's not a universe where Other M and Fusion and Dread are in the same contiguous order. And if Nintendo can keep Mario on a linear timeline, Samus deserves as much. Say what they want, but I refuse to accept Other M as canon... not without invalidating Fusion and Dread. And even if I found Dread too hard to be fun, it is STILL a better game than that Team Ninja slop.
Props for mentioning SM64DS. No need to mention the controversial aspects of this game, but playing a SM64 on a nintendo portable that had Yoshi, Luigi, Wario, extra content and minigames back then was cool as fuck.
I wouldn't say Ocarina of Time 3D replaces the original but it at least stand out as a strong contender for me.
I tend to go with Resident Evil's GameCube remake, but I'm not sure if fans were welcoming to the additions made. Since it was a 6th gen game, directed by Shinji Mikami, and received favorable coverage and reception, I tend to think it's a good example.
I'm sure some of what I have read is just how people are online, but I have never seen a remake of anything getting more love than the original. They are criticized to hell and back, and the criticism is usually pretty warranted too.
Personally, I'd say that Trials of Mana (2020) did well enough remaking the original game (Seiken Densetsu 3) in 3D. Characters and locations faithfully recreated, the combat system being enhanced while still maintaining some core aspects, and most of the story beats being retained while still expanding on it (including a full post-game dungeon with a new boss).
The only gripes I've seen were the writing (compared to the original fan translation - same complaint with the Collection of Mana release), and fights being easier compared to original. That said, I'd say there are fights that still provide a challenge (especially if playing on No Future difficulty, since that places some limitations), and I'll take Dragon Lord for Duran/Angela's story being easier if it means I can deal damage to any part of the body and not just the head that refuses to stay still.
Doom 1&2 throws a lot of punches. Many episodes, newer support, local splitscreen...
C&C/red alert remake. By EA, no less.
It's no coincidence these are older games where getting the original to work is wonky but doable. Many 'remakes' are just a new compilation, throw in an expansion or random stuff and know it'll sell because the consoles have planned obsolescence. Aka: Cash grabs.
And the best:
Megaman Starforce Legacy Collection.
Dominus Collection by Komoney is great too.
So yeah. If you are not named SqUareeniX then your remakes might not be terribad.
(Altho it is concerning that I only play Remakes these days.
Only dumb dumb games that make me commit laughter are played otherwise.
Maybe I have grown up.... Maybe... Ok. No.)
PS:
Do not bother listening to the "internet". Its all geared towards toxicity and maximum clicks.
Thats why I avoid Twitter/X and Reddit as much as I can. So many depressos.
I personally think that System Shock by Nightdive Studios on Windows was an excellent full remake of one of my favourite DOS games, whereas System Shock 2 seemed more like just an HD texture mod upgrade. I hope they do a proper remaster of Thief, and not just another texture upgrade.
I'm sure some of what I have read is just how people are online, but I have never seen a remake of anything getting more love than the original. They are criticized to hell and back, and the criticism is usually pretty warranted too.
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's that time again folks, an update for the Switch and Switch 2, and a surprisingly big one at that! At lease for folks on the Switch 2. The most notable feature...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
Over the weekend a number of Switch and Switch 2 related subreddits came alive with people reporting bans on their Switch 2 consoles out of nowhere. The error code...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
After more than a year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has gotten a fresh update with a focus on the Switch 2, and it's surprisingly meaty. For those Switch 2 players, they'll...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
A few days ago Chary stepped down as Chief Editor after 5 wonderful years, and everyone guessed the seat wouldn't stay empty for very long. Back in 2021 I proudly...
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
A few days ago Chary stepped down as Chief Editor after 5 wonderful years, and everyone guessed the seat wouldn't stay empty for very long. Back in 2021 I proudly...
From my post earlier this week you probably already know which game I'm talking about. Fire Emblem released yesterday to some pretty rave reviews. Looking at...
A court has ordered Reddit r/SwitchPirates moderator James Williams (of ArchBox fame) must pay Nintendo $4.5 million in a default judgment for copyright infringement...
Over the weekend a number of Switch and Switch 2 related subreddits came alive with people reporting bans on their Switch 2 consoles out of nowhere. The error code...