Homebrew Installing Haxchi for Mocha CFW without redNAND?

MajoraAKC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So, following this guide I installed Haxchi on my system and now I want to use Mocha to increase my speed with Wii U USB Helper Transfer Tool since I don't have access to a large SD memory card at the moment.
So my question is this, can I follow this part and skip the redNAND stuff? Like disable redNAND on the Mocha CFW menu and possibly enable coldboot?

Installing Haxchi for Mocha CFW with redNAND
  • NOTE: I'm writing this assuming that you have already installed Haxchi and still have the tools that were used. If not, take the time to set up your SD card with the Haxchi Installer as instructed by the starter pack setup guide.

• NOTE 2: If you have taken the time to setup your SD card as instructed by the starter pack setup guide, then you can skip to Step 3
Step 1) Create a folder called 'mocha' inside the 'apps' directory. Things should look like this:

• SD:/wiiu/apps/mocha
Step 2) Download the latest version of Mocha CFW. Extract the 'mocha.elf' into the 'mocha' folder you just made.

Step 3) Download my modified config.txt

Step 4) Replace the 'config.txt' located in the 'haxchi' folder on the root of the SD card with the one you just downloaded.

Step 5) Backup everything on your SD card to your PC.

• NOTE: This just means you need to copy and paste everything from your SD card to a safe place onto your computer.
Step 6) Put the SD card into the SD Card slot in your Wii U.

Step 7) Turn on your Wii U, and get to the Homebrew Launcher using your preferred method.

• NOTE: If you've been following the guide up until this point, you should be able to use Haxchi to get to the Homebrew Launcher.
Step 8) Run the Haxchi Installer

• NOTE: If you've been following the whole guide up until this point, you might be wondering why we're running the Haxchi installer again. We have to overwrite some settings, so steps 8 and 9 are absolutely necessary.
Step 9) Select the DS virtual console game that you're using (for Haxchi) and install Haxchi. After this is complete, it will bring you back into the system menu.

Step 10) Select/ Run your Haxchi title to boot into Mocha CFW.

Step 11) The Mocha CFW menu should pop up. Use the d-pad to cycle through options, and make sure everything is set to this:

• Config view mode: expert
  • Skip the menu on launch: on
  • Show launch image: on
  • Don't relaunch OS: off
  • Launch System Menu: on
  • redNAND: on
  • SEEPROM redirection: on
  • OTP redirection: on
  • Use syshax.xml (coldboothax): off
Step 12) Press 'A' to confirm and exit.

Step 13) The following black screen that appears is the redNAND setup. Press the power button on the console to confirm that you would like to dump your NAND.

• NOTE: Depending on what is installed on your console already, this process may take a while.
Step 14) Your Wii U will end up on a black screen after the process has been completed. This is normal, as the SD card has been reformatted. Put the SD card back into your PC, and restore the SD card with the backup you made in Step 5.

• NOTE: The SD card has significantly less space now because your NAND backup resides in an invisible partition on the SD card.
Step 15) Put the SD card into the SD Card slot in your Wii U.

Step 16) Boot your Wii U up. Make a folder called 'sysNAND' on the system menu.

Step 17) [Optional] Delete your network settings.

• NOTE: This step is to prevent updates from happening to your sysNAND if you plan on predominantly using redNAND.
Step 18) Launch the Haxchi title.

Launching the Haxchi title will proceed to launch Mocha CFW with redNAND. If you don't see the 'sysNAND' folder you just made in Step 16, congratulations! You've successfully booted Mocha CFW with redNAND.

• NOTE: Holding 'A' while the Haxchi title is booting will now bring you to the homebrew launcher.

• NOTE: Holding 'B' while the Haxchi title is booting will bring up the Mocha CFW configuration menu.

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, first off, you should not install redNAND. It's a bad idea since it requires a large SD card (a 64GB+ card for a 32GB Wii U), prevents the use of vWii, and can be buggy. Do NOT use redNAND. And yes, disabling redNAND can be done by keeping redNAND set to OFF on the Mocha configuration menu. Regarding coldboot, you can upgrade Haxchi to CBHC (Coldboot Haxchi) to enable coldboot CFW, but I heard that Mocha + CBHC can cause problems. Personally, I stick with Haxchi + Mocha and it works fine (CBHC is too scary for me lol).

Don't use that guide also. Most people would suggest this guide. You can with step 5 or 6 to continue on with your CFW installation.

MajoraAKC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Alright, first off, you should not install redNAND. It's a bad idea since it requires a large SD card (a 64GB+ card for a 32GB Wii U), prevents the use of vWii, and can be buggy. Do NOT use redNAND. And yes, disabling redNAND can be done by keeping redNAND set to OFF on the Mocha configuration menu. Regarding coldboot, you can upgrade Haxchi to CBHC (Coldboot Haxchi) to enable coldboot CFW, but I heard that Mocha + CBHC can cause problems. Personally, I stick with Haxchi + Mocha and it works fine (CBHC is too scary for me lol).

Don't use that guide also. Most people would suggest this guide. You can with step 5 or 6 to continue on with your CFW installation.
Installing redNAND was always out of the question and after reading up on Mocha in the guide you linked I'll probably stay on just Haxchi. The downsides seems to be bigger than the upsides for me. Thanks for your comment!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!