[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Last updated 10/29/17
    Last checked for updates 10/29/17

Supported Wii U firmware versions:

This guide will give you all the current hacking options and give you a choice on what works best for your situations. Unlike other guides I will not simply give you a set of instructions and tell you to follow it blindly. Read up on everything so you can make an informed decision on what will work best for you.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED

• Blank SD formatted to FAT32 (IF you have one that you are using for vWii just copy all your data to your PC first and reformat it to FAT32. You can copy the vWii stuff back after we're done.) Make sure that your SD card is large enough to backup your entire sysNAND. You'll need the next size up from your Wii U internal memory size. For example, if you have a 32gb Wii U then you'll need a 64GB SD card. I recommend using "GuiFormat". Do not use Windows built in tools to format your SD. *note* If you don't want to backup your entire nand that's okay. At least get opt.bin and seeprom and you'll be fine.
    • Do NOT give your SD card a name with capital letters. Example: "SD". That will give you problems. Make sure your SD card has no name or you use lowercase letters.
    • A computer with an SD slot and internet access.
    • Turn off "Standby functions" and "Auto Power Down" inside of your Wii U power settings menu.
    • A Wii U with a firmware no greater than 5.5.2 (5.5.2 is the latest). If you have 5.5.1 firmware then stay where you are at. There is no reason to upgrade to 5.5.2.
    • External USB Hard Drive if you want to install and launch titles from USB. Don't use a flash drive. They do work. They are usually just too small for your needs. You will need either a Hard Drive that has it's own power cable or a USB Y cable for hard drives that come with only a single USB cable.

[​IMG]

1. SET UP YOUR BLOCKING
    Blocking Updates
    2. INSTALL AN ENTRY POINT (HOMEBREW LAUNCHER)
    Installing Homebrew Launcher
    3. BACKUP YOUR SYSNAND - DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
    Backup your sysNAND
    4. GAME LOADING METHODS
    Loadiine and WUP Installer Method
    5. DIFFERENT TYPES OF CUSTOM FIRMWARES AND HOW TO INSTALL THEM
    CFW's
    6. LAUNCHING HBL AFTER SETTING UP HAXCHI CFW
    How to get into HomeBrew Launcher
    7. OKAY I'M USING CUSTOM FIRMWARE NOW WHAT?
    Post Installation Steps

8. WHAT IS REDNAND?
    redNAND
    9. CHEATING
    trainers and in game cheating

CHANGELOG
    Guide Changelog

Please let me know if I've missed somebody
    Credits

Last edited by Kafluke, Oct 30, 2017
    filipe_m, nokiae60bgd, toccy and 81 others like this.
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Nice work

Anonymous456 and cholaloula like this.
  3. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Thanks, it's a bit messy right now but it will get better over the next few weeks.

Anonymous456 and proflayton123 like this.
  4. Demian25

Demian25 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    Mexico
    Oh man that's really nice, I was looking for something exactly like this. Really appreciate it!

Quick question the dns are different with tube hax are they incompatible? I already set up tube hax from "the definitive guide..." Stick.

Thanks for the the good work.

Last edited by Demian25, Nov 29, 2016
  5. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
  6. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yes. it's not Tubehax. I got it from another thread. I think it was wii u dns er something. Tubehax is fine too

7. VioletX

VioletX GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2016
    @Kafluke
    does the DNS you have still allow us to use multiplayer?
    I already have a dns set which i found from another thread but it blocks pretty much everything (can't even access the browser sometimes)
    can't test it right now as i'm away from home for a while.

8. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Not sure. I pulled it from a thread a few days ago when Tubehax went down. I've played MK8 online using it though

It's called DNS-U. I got it here http://gbatemp.net/threads/dns-u-new-update-blocking-dns-server.436346/

Anonymous456, MattKimura and VioletX like this.
  9. AshleyCummings

AshleyCummings Gamer Girl

Dec 14, 2011
    United States
    Simmers Nation
    Thank you for this ! im ready to learn about the Rednand and Custom Firmware options I will wait for your guide ^-^

Last edited by AshleyCummings, Nov 30, 2016
    Kafluke likes this.
  10. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    So...theoretically, I could install Haxchi, take my WiiU offline, and never have to worry about an update again? I don't ever use it online. Changing the DNS never seems to work for me.

I suppose I should just get on board and use the Brazilian method instead of Loadiine w/SD card, but then I'd have to go and buy an external and then wait for it to come in the mail. I'm too impatient :/

Last edited by Windaga, Nov 30, 2016
  11. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yes to your first question. You can use haxchi and you don't have to go online after that.

I'm just using a 64gb usb flash for Brazilian method. I have hundreds of games in loadiine but I only really play 2 or 3 of them so 64gb is plenty for me.

12. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I own the discs of all the titles I would ever go online with, so it just seemed like more work for no gain. But I suppose if something ever happened and I wanted to play online and update the Wii U, I should probably just take the time and go through with the Brazilian method.

Either way, great directions. Are you doing a write up on the brazilian method? I'd love to forward this guide to a friend who's just getting started.

Kafluke likes this.
  13. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yeah next weekend I'll work on cleaning up what I have and add Brazilian method.

14. kenryuakuma

kenryuakuma Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2007
    United States
    Awesome man and always like the guide like this. It is user-friendly and easy for the noon to follow. Anyway cannot wait to see u add more stuff to your guide.

15. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    It's a nice guide, could use some aesthetic work though, such as splitting sections up into spoilers, but overall nice.

16. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Agreed. It started out as an email to a friend and just thought I might as well post it and work on the aesthics later.

17. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    I'd be happy to help if you want to ;p, :).

18. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I'm gonna take you up on that!

Gave you OP read/write access.

19. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Alright, I hope I won't disappoint ;p.

20. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Anything is better than my wall of text lol. I'll collect information, test and package up and you can make the guide pretty! woo hoo