Hacking [DNS-U] New Update Blocking DNS Server

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THIS SERVICE HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN DUE TO ABUSE!

IP ADDRESS HAS CHANGED!!! 35.164.240.189

With TubeHax being relatively unreliable and going down sporadically, I spun up a highly-available Anycast constellation in the Amazon AWS Cloud that can effectively, and resiliently block Nintendo updates via the common DNS method.

My server can be used in conjunction with TubeHax (as primary or secondary DNS), adding further resilience to your WiiU's internet connection, rather than taking you down entirely if one of the servers goes down.

Please apply these settings on your WiiU device, only, not on your router.

Set Primary DNS to 35.164.240.189
Set Secondary DNS to TubeHax or 127.0.0.1

wtLPc6X.png

Last edited by Ninja_Carver,

aracom

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Using tubehax since it came out every day, only had a problem once, and it was fixed a few hours after. I don't see the point, really.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using tubehax since it came out every day, only had a problem once, and it was fixed a few hours after. I don't see the point, really.

TubeHax goes down a lot and no one really seems to care enough to make it more stable I guess.

D

Deleted User

Wish I could help, but my IP Address is dynamic (changes whenever modem crashes).

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really see anyone using this tbh. Most people are fine with Tubehax. I don't know about others, but I usually leave my Wii u unplugged when not in use.

Reactions: pietempgba

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see IP filtering being very effective given the fact that most people don't have static IPs...

You'd have to have some kind of updater app running that would inform your server of IP updates (like OpenDNS)

That being said... Google Compute engine isn't exactly expensive... ~$4/mo for the basic engine that someone could spin up to make their own DNS / web / whatever server...

I wish you luck but I just can't see many people paying for something like this...

Last edited by DanTheMan827,

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see IP filtering being very effective given the fact that most people don't have static IPs...

You'd have to have some kind of updater app running that would inform your server of IP updates (like OpenDNS)

That being said... Google Compute engine isn't exactly expensive... ~$4/mo for the basic engine that someone could spin up to make their own DNS / web / whatever server...

I wish you luck but I just can't see many people paying for something like this...
Thanks. This isn't a get rich quick scheme and in fact I'm not really projecting any meaningful profits. The intent is to provide something stable to those who can't content filter on their routers, are unable to set up their own DNS, or don't trust themselves to do so.

Single compute server is a single point of failure. This solution provides some redundancy behind the service in hopes of eliminating outages.

I realize most have dynamic IP's. That said, if you're on a broadband connection you typically keep the same IP for a few weeks. If your IP changes and you are unaware, all DNS resolution will fail and you won't have any connectivity except via IP Addresses only. This is a built-in fail safe.

I'm working on a strategy that will allow users to login and update their IP's and reload the access list instantly.

Would love to hear any more of your concerns.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a lot are concerned about their IP's changing so I'm going to take a different approach here.
Although one of the concerns about being a public recursive DNS server is being used in a DNS amplification attack, I'm going to open this up and see what happens and see what kind of charges I accrue (lol). Maybe at that point I'll ask for donations :D

Set Primary DNS to 35.164.240.189
Set Secondary to 127.0.0.1

D

Deleted User

Omg YES! Would you be able to PM me on how you created this amazing thing?!

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What service you're hosting this with! Is it on a raspery pii, on your computer, or on the interwebs? I'd like to find out how I can host a 24/7 DNS personally!

If you search for posts created by me, there is a full tutorial on how you can host your own within your home. The DNS service itself is called BIND and can run on multiple platforms including Linux and Windows.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

or you can point directly at the DNS server IP's I mentioned in the original post if you'd like.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs