i'm learning japanese, sharing what i'm learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Lesson 011 : Ohisashiburides
(Havent seen you in a while!)
(Long time, no see!)

A. Aa, Satou-san, Konichiwa, Ohisashiborides.
(oh, Hello Mr. Satsou! havent seen you in a while!)

B.Yoku, Irashimashta.
(welcome)

A.Omokae, Arigato Gozaimas.
(Thanks for coming to greet me)
----
nots:
the "san" after Satou-san is to make polite and is used after male/female/single/married/etc.

all the "O"s here are to make polite such as Omokue, Ohisashiboridesu,etc.
----
anyone knows found out whats difference between Gozaismasu or Gozaimashta?
----
sorry for delayed time.
hope these are useful.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude you got to keep this stuff coming...you must. I took a year of Japanese in college, scored A's in 101 and 102 back in 2000. Loved it, found it easy and not hard like all those crybabies have claimed it to be. Staying out of confusing kanji land and learning the rest really isn't all that bad.

Of all the crap I kept from college which is little, I got the JP books still, even moved east with them. Funny enough recently at a garage sale this chick gave me 2 Japanese (hiragana/katankana with kanji(hiragana over it)) books of Peter Pan and Snow White for kids. It was a hell of a trip scanning it over. My stuff is so shitty disuse I'm enjoying this thread... kill to have this STICKIED and updated often. I really would love to get back into some form of practice with this stuff. I will definitely try out that site, bookmarked even a couple at work on my PC there for if I get the itch on break and this one will get forwarded.

Doumo arigatou gozaimashita.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i'm happy that u liked this topic my friend.
Ogenki Deska.
--
after a while, I'll make a topic so we will USE the stuff that we learn here.
like talking about very very simple stuff and each person has to talk or ask questions and following poster should answer it and go on.
but its still soon.

tomorrow, we'll have Ogenki Deska (guess what it means ...)

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A. Aa, Satou-san, Konnichiwa, Ohisashiburidesu

B. Yoku, Irasshaimashita

A. Omokae? isnt it mukae, Arigatou Gozaimasu

San has the same meaning as Mr., Mrs., Ms, and Miss in English

Os makes it more of a japanese origin thingy

Gozaimasu or Gozaimashita the shita makes it past tense

EDIT : genki genki, omae wa

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vol 1 and 2 in JPN 101 was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let's_Learn_Japanese

Then Vol1 and 2 of Learn Japanese New College Text I did in JPN 102. My professor was a Japanese native who worked out there for Tokyo TV for a great many years and relocated stateside. She was damn good and very effective with her work...small class size helped well. And no I'm not an otaku, cosplayers are laughable, anime cares are a minimum. I did it out of curiousity, the ability to read the small bit of stuff I do use/come across in Japanese, and mostly for the bloody challenge which it was.

That Learn Japanese one has this insane copy of part of the book scanned legally into google books if you wish to see how that worked out, at least it has some study materials:
http://books.google.com/books?id=iMxHb7unv...121V0p8#PPP1,M1

HAHAH this is so bad...here's Ep 1 of that LLJ series, 80s cheese at its finest.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/e121738maBPK9ZB

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
A. Aa, Satou-san, Konnichiwa, Ohisashiburidesu

i used to type desu instead of des but i realized they pronounce it des not desu, so i started to type des instead of desu, i dye to hear your answer about it.

B. Yoku, Irasshaimashita
i corrected 'em.

A. Omokae? isnt it mukae, Arigatou Gozaimasu

its mokua but isnt its polite version, Omokua? or you are talking about mokae versus moukae?

San has the same meaning as Mr., Mrs., Ms, and Miss in English
I added ur comment, thnx!

Os makes it more of a japanese origin thingy
but the guy said its about making it polite. (you are talking about the O in the beginning of verbs, right?)

Gozaimasu or Gozaimashita the shita makes it past tense
so where you use which one?

EDIT : genki genki, omae wa
genki genki == good good?
omae == greeting thing?
wa == watashi?

---
its so nice to see someone's caring about this topic, even when its 5:21am here!

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Vol 1 and 2 in JPN 101 was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let's_Learn_Japanese

Then Vol1 and 2 of Learn Japanese New College Text I did in JPN 102. My professor was a Japanese native who worked out there for Tokyo TV for a great many years and relocated stateside. She was damn good and very effective with her work...small class size helped well. And no I'm not an otaku, cosplayers are laughable, anime cares are a minimum. I did it out of curiousity, the ability to read the small bit of stuff I do use/come across in Japanese, and mostly for the bloody challenge which it was.

That Learn Japanese one has this insane copy of part of the book scanned legally into google books if you wish to see how that worked out, at least it has some study materials:
http://books.google.com/books?id=iMxHb7unv...121V0p8#PPP1,M1

HAHAH this is so bad...here's Ep 1 of that LLJ series, 80s cheese at its finest.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/e121738maBPK9ZB

thnx!
whats otaku?
"anime cares are a minimum"? does it mean that u didnt learn japanese for anime?
i still dont get where/how u learned japanese! my badddddddddd!
that video? gosh, i'm on bloody dial up!
i saw some pages of that book, seems kinda next-level for me! since i donno hiragana/katakana yet and i want to learn some verbal stuff first then have something to write with them.
unsure.gif

love you guys!

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got 10pm here, and umm... may want to use this site as it could help:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

Perhaps this as well, lots of studies:
http://www.manythings.org/japanese/

I'm lucky and have my books and dictionary still, though that first link still is quite useful on my end. If I were you and you wanted to drop $50 I'd look into those 4 books I mentioned and order them off amazon or something.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx, i cant buy from amazon, i live in Iran.
its not impossible for me tough, but i would love to finish these lessons first and not get distracted.
thnx again.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
so, guess what? you're right, its ...

Lesson 012 : Ogenki Deska
(How are you?)

so our Mr.Tehrani is finally meeting his friend in Airport and they are greeting.
(my bad, theses lessons are story of Mr.Tehrani which goes from my country, Iran to visit his friend Mr.Satou in Jaopan.
in previous lessons we witnesses some previous events and now they are meeting, maybe i'll add this story too to previous lessons, if anyone is intrested but i'll keep u updated for latter lessons so the theme of lessons will be more understandable and reasonable.)

B.Ogenki Desuka
(How are you?)

A.Hai, Arigato Gozaimas, Genkides.
(Yes, Thanks very much, I'm Good.)

A.Ichi-nen buridesne.
(its been a year since we saw each other.)

B. Hai, Mata, Omeni Kakarate Ureshiides.
(Yes, I'm happy/glad to see you again.)

----
notes:
1- we can ask "Ogenki deska" (which means how are you) and its answer can be "Watashimo Genkides" (i am good too).

2-
Ichi == 1
nen == year
ichi-nen == one year
buri == shows long time waiting's emotions/missing.
if you supper on "ne" (pronounce it harder and press on it) in end of Buridesne it shows your wonderness (the "!" in metal gear solid !)

mata == again
Omeni Kakarete == being able to see you again
Ureshiidess == i am happy/glad

3-when you are asking, you should/can say "Ogenki Desuka" but when answering, you should never place big O in your answer such : Genki Desu (i'm good).
-----
would someone plz answer:
A- what does "mo" in "watashimo" mean?
mo means also. In watashimo it means ''me too''. (credits to tetsuya)

B- would someone translate "Omeni Kakarate" word by word?
omenikakarate means exactly what you wrote in the skit translation. To see someone or meet someone. (credits to tetsuya)

C- what does Ureshii mean? (i'm not sure what i said is to be correct since she translated Ureshiides to "I'm glad" but its one word and its english is 3 words)
again with ureshii, you already have it down. Its means happy, glad, or pleasant. (credits to tetsuya)
---
plz if you are commenting or something, use assigned numbers to refer to any part you wanna refer and alphabets for questions to ba answerd.
TIA.

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A. mo means also. In watashimo it means ''me too''.
B. omenikakarate means exactly what you wrote in the skit translation. To see someone or meet someone.
C. again with ureshii, you already have it down. Its means happy, glad, or pleasant.
Japanese is an implied language. One word can pretty much sum up a whole sentence.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx, i added ur comments and credited them to ur name.
again some questions arises:

B. omenikakarate means exactly what you wrote in the skit translation. To see someone or meet someone.

so "Omenikakarate" is one word or its composite of Omeni && Kakarate ? if the second, would you please translate both?

C. again with ureshii, you already have it down. Its means happy, glad, or pleasant.

the problem is in "Hai, Mata, Omeni Kakarate Ureshiides." there is no reference to the speaker's self.
so its (i think so far) "yes, happy being able see you again". where is the "I" ?

one other thing about these lessons, do i have to memorize them? or learn the words?
i kinda can tell most of them if you ask me but i didnt memorize them.

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
O me ni kakaru (two words) O is the japanese origin thingy. me means eyes. kakarate has so many meaning, but in this case it means "able to"

The I is missing because the speaker already expect the listener to know.

Memorizing is a good idea. Learning the words is a form of memorizing.

genki genki = fine fine
omae = you
wa = a particle ( however in this case, its one of those implied thingy of the question how are you.)

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
doesn O make a verb, polite too?

what does "ni" mean in Omenikakarate?

whats difference between Kakaru and Kakarate?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran

linus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

hi, i just finished 1½ years of language studies in japan. that makes me in no way an expert, but i wanted to share some thoughts. however, i hate romaji, and all the romaji in this thread is making my eyes bleed so i probably won't stick around for long. my advice to all of you is to first properly learn to read at least hiragana. partly because you won't get very far using romaji, and partly because i think that knowing hiragana gives you a better understanding of how words and sentences are constructed. you need to learn to think of the spelling in syllables, not roman letters.
i did not read this entire thread, but one thought on it is that trying to teach someone something is a really good way of getting better, because you need to learn the subject better in order to be able to explain to someone who knows nothing. that being said, i'm not sure if it's a very good idea for the learner to learn from a beginner, even if it is easier than trying for yourself. if you are serious about learning you should do more than read a thread on a forum. the only thing i really did before going to japan was listen to pimsleurs sound tapes, and i found them quite good. i would listen to each chapter several times until i knew it by heart, and then move on to the next chapter when i felt confident enough. timeconsuming, yes, but i felt like i was making progress. i think i covered 16 chapters, and what i learned from them, i belive we covered in class in the first two weeks when i came to japan, still it helped a little to have studied by myself.
a forum can still be a good place to get help though.

with my little rant being done, i thought i'd answer the questions at the end of the thread:
adding o (?) at the beginning of some nouns and verbs does make it more polite, but you can't add it as you please. before some nouns you add go (?) instead of o (?), and when adding o (?) in front of a verb, you have to conjugate it for everything to be correct. however, by conjugating and adding o (?) or go (?) in front of a verb, it will become very polite, a form of speaking known as keigo (???), and apart from the occational word or phrase, this is not something that we covered in class until we had studied intensly for almost six months. i recommend just using normal verb forms for now. masu (??) form and dictionary form is sufficient, and there are a couple of other forms too that you use for different grammar patterns.

ni (?) is a particle that can have several meanings, usually indicating a direction (can not think of another meaning now). the ni (?) in ome ni kakaru (??????) (or "ome ni kakarimasu", "ome ni kakaru" being the dictionary form) would indicate the direction towards, but is not translated. ome ni kakarimasu is an expression that means meet, and it is quite a polite way of saying it. i am not a good teacher so i won't try to directly translate the phrase, but knowing what it means is enough. according to a dictionary the english translation is [see; meet; have the honor/pleasure of seeing]. the normal way of saying meet would be aimasu (????). most selfstudy material for learning japanese starts with very polite stuff, and it's not wrong to remember it, but i think just using the masu form would be easier to begin with.

in the last question i believe the spelling is a little off, i read the earlier posts and i belive it's supposed to be kakarete (????) and not kakarate.
just knowing what the phrase ome ni kakarete ureshii desu means is enough for now, but i can try to break it down. don't worry if you don't understand the following cause i'll be brief, and it covers like three grammar points.
kakaru (???) is the dictionary form
kararete (????) is the te-form of the potential form of kakaru (conjugated twice: kakaru - kakareru - kakarete)
kakareru (????) would be the potential form in normal (dictionary) form

ome ni kakarete ureshii desu (potential form) would literally mean "i'm glad to be able to meet you" (or "able to meet, glad" if you translate directly, leaving the i and you out as it is understood in japanese).
if you instead say
ome ni kakatte ureshii desu (kakatte being the te-form of the dictionary form: kakaru - kakatte) it would mean "i'm glad to meet you" (or translating directly: "glad to meet"). notice how the "be able to" is left out from the translation when not using the potential form. that's really short on potential verbs.

the last thing is the te-form, it is used in this phrase because an emotion is expressed and is a grammar pattern you use instead of dividing the sentence into two sentences, which would be weird. another exampel would be using the verb moraimasu (?????), meaning recieve:
morau (???) is the dictionary form
moratte (????) is the te-form
purezento wo moratte ureshii desu (????????????????) meaning "i am happy to recieve a present", or directly translated "recieve present, happy"

phew, this turned out a little longer than expected, not sure if anyone will benefit much from it.
i'm not sure if my explanations makes much sense if you don't know how the conjugation is done, but a good way to begin is just to learn the phrases and their meanings that you read, and worry about the conjugations later, when that step comes.

i realized when writing this post that some of you might not even be able to read japanese symbols on you computers at all. i would recommend installing japanese fonts if that is the case.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Lesson 013 : Donokurai Kakarimasuka
(How long does it take?)

cont. of story: So Mr.Tehrani(A) visited his friend Mr.Satou(B) and they are leaving airport to mr.Satou's house.

A.Uchimadewa Donokurai Kakarimasuka.
(how long does it take to your house?)

B.Daitai san-ju ppun desu.
(about 30 minutes)

A.San-ju pun deska.
(30 minutes?)

Chikai desune.
(near, eh?/isnt it?)

B.ee.

(yeah)

-----------
Uchi = your home.
made = till (remember bus lesson?)
donokurai kakarimasuka = how long does it take.

Daitai = about.
san-ju ppun = 30 minutes.

deska -> made the sentence to question form.

chikai = about. note that its polite since there is des after ir.

if you press on "ne" in "chikai desune" it will have the question tag form.

"ee" is like yeah, less polite form of Yes which is "Hai".
-----
questions:
its written as donokurai but J people pronounced it donogurai, which one is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: