i'm learning japanese, sharing what i'm learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuketsuki_M

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys...don't be so negative
wink2.gif

I've been here for six years (do I win any prizes!) and when I came here it was for one reason only!

THE TOKYO GAMESHOW!

I knew hiragana and katakana and some basic phrases...that's about it. Fair enough, I came in fresh faced but because I wanted to learn Japanese to aid my HOBBIES and not business etc. I advanced quickly...

The best way to language acquisition is to the WANT to learn it...not the NEED. The people who want to learn because they love anime, games, J-pop etc. are the ones who flourish, in my opinion. In my classes, the students who love Western music or Hollywood movies learn faster than my business clients.

Also, Japanese people love to meet foreigners who are interested in their own country.

Don't listen to any negativity....if you want it, you've got it.
biggrin.gif

KYU

P.S. 'Ano' is also the equivalent of 'Um', and is great to use to sound more natural. eg. "Ano, sumimasen" (Um, excuse me).

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a great thread.

Learning can actually be fun. Just don`t stress yourself and do it on your free time, as a hobby. You shouldn`t care if it takes 20 years, important thing is that you`re improving. Just stay motivated and don`t overdo it.

For example I learned basic english in a couple of years (2-4th grades) while I still don`t understand sh*t in russian (6th-10th grades).

Best way to convert what you learn into long-term memory is to actually use it. Watching anime comes to mind (use `I am learning` as an excuse for doing so).

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok! i'm back.
the last lesson is officially number 8th, so this lesson is number 9.
i'll post previous lessons if there is request, but for now, let us continue to 9th lesson.

Lesson 009: Kono Basu Wa Shinjuku e Yukimasuka.
(Does this bus go to Shinjuku?)

a. Kono Basu Wa Shinjuku e Yukimasuka?
(Does this bus lead to Shinjuku? (its a place in Tokyo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku%2C_Tokyo )

b.Iie, Yukimasen,
(no, it doesnt go)
Shinjuku-yuri wa, san-ban nariba desu.
(the bus that leaves to shinjuku, leaves from 3rd platform)

a.Doumo Arigato Gozaimashita.
(thnx alot)
--------
what i learned:
a.
Kono == this
basu == bus
wa == shows the subject of sentence, whatever is behind wa is subject of sentence, so here Kono Basu is the subject of conversation.
shinjuku e == to shinjuku -> a place + "e" == to that place
yukimasuka == it really pronunced ikimasuka, i doubt about it, anyway it means "going to" and "ka" made it politely.

B.
Iie, yukimasen.
Iie == no.
yukimasen = the "mas" in yukumasu is turned to yukiMASENÂ and turned it into negative.

Shinjuku-yui == destination of shinjuku, here it means the bus that goes to shinjuku.
san-ban = san is 3 and ban means its order, so it means 3rd.
nariba == platform
desu = is.

A.Gozaimashita = the past of gozaimasu, i donno why this guy used the past form of gozaimasu.
---------
i have another question and its about "ano", in past lessons, there was a sentence when the man at exchanging his money, asked the lady to give him 1000yen papers and asked her:
Ano, sen-en sansu mo onegaishimasu.
what does Ano mean in that sentence? i believed it means "this" since the last lesson Ano means "this" (when refering to staircase : Ano Kaidan No Ushiro Desu)
thnx.

if u have comments, plz feel free to add 'em!
Alright, nice going with the explanations! You got most things right, but I'll help ya out on the things you're not certain about for as far as I know them:

-It's ikimasu, and it also sounds like ikimasu. It's never yukimasu.
-Using ka after desu/masu makes the sentence into a question and is polite. You should basically always use it when speaking politely. Careful however, since using it when you're not speaking politely sounds rude in some cases.
-I don't know what you mean by yui/yuri. Do you mean "e"?
-It's noriba, with an o.
-I have a tough time with gozaimasu/gozaimashita myself. I'll ask around to make sure, but it's something in the lines of using gozaimashita when the person has done something for you which took some effort.
-The english "uhm" when you don't know something, or when you try to get someone's attention is "eto" or "ano" in Japanese.
-It's satsu, not sansu.

Bonus grammar:
ikimasu = go (future)
ikimasen = don't go (negative)
ikimashita = went (past)
ikimasen deshita = didn't go (past negative)

Maybe you could edit your posts so people don't get confused?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx Glacius0,Kyuketsuki_M,Warbird,Delta123 (last but not least) i really love when i see you guys post in here.
(visitors are doubling on this topic everyday)

thnx , i added your solutionion nd credited your names.

i added your editory to the respective #009 lesson and credited to you.

we still need correction of lesson #010 (Ima, nanji desuka, what time is it?)

i would like to have a clean topic without spams and stuff so people who just want the lessons can easily navigate and omit the comments/spam/argue/etc, would you think if i dedicate this topic to comments about lessons (corrections, argue, comments) and make another topic just for lessons so when you guys comment something, i'll edit it in that topic OR it is ok this way to you? i personally prefer first methid.

thnx guys.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
thnx Glacius0, i really love when i see you posted here.

thnx Kyuketsuki_M, i added your solution too and credited your name.

i added your editory to the respective #009 lesson and credited to you.

we still need correction of lesson #010 (Ima, nanji desuka, what time is it?)

i would like to have a clean topic without spams and stuff so people who just want the lessons can easily navigate and omit the comments/spam/argue/etc, would you think if i dedicate this topic to comments about lessons (corrections, argue, comments) and make another topic just for lessons so when you guys comment something, i'll edit it in that topic OR it is ok this way to you? i personally prefer first methid.

thnx guys.
I'm more then willing to allow this in my Wiki. I'm also trying to learn Japanese, so maybe this is a good way for you all to add things (pages could be protected from edititing to only registered users)?

[edit]I also wouldn't mind placing a wordpress blog for this online if that seems easier then a wiki.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i accept what moderators believe.
1-if the want it to be as it is now
2-if they want to seperate this topic into two topics, one for lessons, one for comments/edits/ideas
3-if they prefer to move it somewhere else
4-maybe in wiki of gbatemp?

(even this post is comment and it is not about what the title is, that irritates me since people will come to see the lessons, not our comments and when they see its two pages topic, they donno there is 3 posts about lessons and rest is editory/moderating/etc.)

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
2-if they want to seperate this topic into two topics, one for lessons, one for comments/edits/ideas

(even this post is comment and it is not about what the title is, that irritates me since people will come to see the lessons, not our comments and when they see its two pages topic, they donno there is 3 posts about lessons and rest is editory/moderating/etc.)
Hence my suggestion of my wiki or a blog for whoever is writing these items. That way the articles themselves will be separate from comments
wink.gif
. Feel free to contact me.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
?????????????????
haha, sorry for being a pain I just want to help. My Japanese skills are very low, I simply don't have a lot of time on my hands to study but I do want to help out anyone who does things to help out others. It is quite hard to find good study materials here in Holland, especially if you want them to be in Dutch so anything helps
smile.gif

S

solarsaturn9

ok! i'm back.
the last lesson is officially number 8th, so this lesson is number 9.
i'll post previous lessons if there is request, but for now, let us continue to 9th lesson.

Lesson 009: Kono Basu Wa Shinjuku e Yukimasuka.
(Does this bus go to Shinjuku?)

a. Kono Basu Wa Shinjuku e Yukimasuka?
(Does this bus lead to Shinjuku? (its a place in Tokyo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku%2C_Tokyo )

b.Iie, Yukimasen,
(no, it doesnt go)
Shinjuku-yuri wa, san-ban nariba desu.
(the bus that leaves to shinjuku, leaves from 3rd platform)

a.Doumo Arigato Gozaimashita.
(thnx alot)
--------
what i learned:
a.
Kono == this
basu == bus
wa == shows the subject of sentence, whatever is behind wa is subject of sentence, so here Kono Basu is the subject of conversation.
shinjuku e == to shinjuku -> a place + "e" == to that place
yukimasuka == it really pronunced ikimasuka, i doubt about it, anyway it means "going to" and "ka" made it politely.

B.
Iie, yukimasen.
Iie == no.
yukimasen = the "mas" in yukumasu is turned to yukiMASEN  and turned it into negative.

Shinjuku-yui == destination of shinjuku, here it means the bus that goes to shinjuku.
san-ban = san is 3 and ban means its order, so it means 3rd.
nariba == platform
desu = is.

A.Gozaimashita = the past of gozaimasu, i donno why this guy used the past form of gozaimasu.
---------
i have another question and its about "ano", in past lessons, there was a sentence when the man at exchanging his money, asked the lady to give him 1000yen papers and asked her:
Ano, sen-en sansu mo onegaishimasu.
what does Ano mean in that sentence? i believed it means "this" since the last lesson  Ano means "this" (when refering to staircase : Ano Kaidan No Ushiro Desu)
thnx.

if u have comments, plz feel free to add 'em!

Alright, nice going with the explanations! You got most things right, but I'll help ya out on the things you're not certain about for as far as I know them:

-It's ikimasu, and it also sounds like ikimasu. It's never yukimasu.
-Using ka after desu/masu makes the sentence into a question and is polite. You should basically always use it when speaking politely. Careful however, since using it when you're not speaking politely sounds rude in some cases.
-I don't know what you mean by yui/yuri. Do you mean "e"?
-It's noriba, with an o.
-I have a tough time with gozaimasu/gozaimashita myself. I'll ask around to make sure, but it's something in the lines of using gozaimashita when the person has done something for you which took some effort.
-The english "uhm" when you don't know something, or when you try to get someone's attention is "eto" or "ano" in Japanese.
-It's satsu, not sansu.

Bonus grammar:
ikimasu = go (future)
ikimasen = don't go (negative)
ikimashita = went (past)
ikimasen deshita = didn't go (past negative)

Maybe you could edit your posts so people don't get confused?

Actually, using ano ( ?? ) and eto ( ?? ) are like saying "umm" in english... you say them when you're speaking to someone only. Meaning they aren't used in writing ( especially since it isn't terribly formal ). You generally say these when you are trying to think of what to say next... it's used like "um" or "uh" in english.

Also, Gozaimasu ( ????? ) is used when someone has done something and will continue to do things for you in the future. Gozaimashita ( ?????? ) is the past tense, as you have stated, and is used when someone has done something for you and you will probably not have the pleasure of receiving favors from them again. It is normally used with strangers and with aquaintances that you will not see for a very long time / ever again.

Also, I would recommend that you DO learn hiragana and katakana as they are not hard to learn ( Just make flash cards and quiz yourself ). The really hard part about Japanese is the Kanji and the vocabulary. Grammer is easily learned in about two years in a classroom.

Good luck!

??????????

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How about keeping as it is now and linking to next lesson at the end of previous one?

E.g. Lesson 009: Kono Basu Wa Shinjuku e ikimasu.(Updated/Corrected)(Does this bus go to Shinjuku?)

S

solarsaturn9

?????????????????

haha, sorry for being a pain I just want to help. My Japanese skills are very low, I simply don't have a lot of time on my hands to study but I do want to help out anyone who does things to help out others. It is quite hard to find good study materials here in Holland, especially if you want them to be in Dutch so anything helps
smile.gif

No no, I was in your position not long ago. But I'm definitely willing to help a fellow student out. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

PS learn katakana / hiragana pleeeeeeeeeeeeease! you won't regret it!

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
test84: Ah sorry, lesson 10 is pretty much correct. Except for hiyaku which should be hyaku. This might not seem like a big deal but it's very important you pronounce this correctly because a Japanese person will not understand you. As for the lessons...you should edit your first post of this topic and put all the lessons there. That should solve it, right?

Scorpei: Since I studied in the Netherlands, is there anything you'd like to know? I studied at Leiden University (actually I still am).

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

When I did something like this (Hello, Goodbye, Please, Thanks!) a while back. I used my first post to hold the content and notified by post to the topic as to when the first post had been updated. This, along with Scorpei's blog suggestion would be a good way to keep the comments coming (good or bad, you can't stop 'em) and yet have a clean primary goal. So, edit your first post to point to another page or blog or wiki (you could build a sub-page in your own "user" wiki on the GBAtemp wiki.)

Moderators do not like to prune topics for users, so don't expect that, plus it hinders the popularity of the topic since even a throwaway post by a wise-ass will bump the thread... ..and that's a good thing.

Keep up the good work!

S

solarsaturn9

i used to learn to count at our dojo, but we said shi for 4, instead of Yon and Shichi instead of Nana, whats their difference?

Not much. shi/shichi is the Chinese reading and yon/nana is the Japanese reading of the word. When counting numbers, the Chinese ones are usually used, while yon/nana is used when just saying 1 number or when used with counter words like ji, mai, satsu and the likes. (you would say yonmai but never shimai when counting flat objects like paper/pages.)

And im surprised that nhk teaches you to say "yuku" instead of "iku" since this is kantou dialect and not considered "standard" japanese afaik. You hear it often in songs tho.

Good luck tho, and check out japanesepod101.com for a free podcast. Got Japaneses native speakers so you can practice pronunciation
smile.gif

Actually there is a reason that Japanese people avoid using Shi whenever they can. Shi sounds exactly like death ( also, shi ) and therefor is considered unlucky. So people tend to use yon instead. Especially when counting.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Scorpei: Since I studied in the Netherlands, is there anything you'd like to know? I studied at Leiden University (actually I still am).

No nothing specific thanks
smile.gif
. Well, only if you know if Leiden has something outside specific Japanese studies... I'm in the last year of my highschool (gymnasium) now so I´m going to be danm busy, but they tend to have a lot of `out-of-school-hours' projects at Leiden (I can remember the LAPPTop project coming by, but sadly no Japanese was included) so is there one for Japanese (preferably one with internet rather then going to Leiden often)?
QUOTENo no, I was in your position not long ago. But I'm definitely willing to help a fellow student out. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

PS learn katakana / hiragana pleeeeeeeeeeeeease! you won't regret it!
Working on it
smile.gif

S

solarsaturn9

i think since "you've done it" and seems that you are from Japan, its better if you help and guide us and not try to slow us down!

you know the way, give us tips and tricks.

Honestly, if I have a single thing to say to you guys, it's that you guys should read up on Japan and its social problems and everything before you decide that "Hey it's probably the best country in the world! I'ma live there in da futurr!".
Trust me, Tokyo is awesome, but come here unprepared, and this city is going to eat you. I've gotten here about 3 weeks ago, and even with many years of Japanese training, I'm doing OK, but still, I need more. I've got a bunch of weird-ass german otaku in my hotel as my neighbors. Poor kids don't even speak Japanese, or English. But they still have the time to cosplay and go parading. Sounds good for the time they're here, but little more. And they also look really ridiculous and probably don't realise it.

Seriously, 90% of you will give up. That's a good thing. Foreigners are not rejected, but people definitely stare at you a lot. This is a place where you have to show your individuality without crossing the very thin line of being marginal.

Oh, and test84, I interpreted your message as being slightly disrespectful. Really feel like helping you now.
wink2.gif

[EDIT] Then again, 10% of you are really serious about it, and know what they're getting into. To you people, I encourage you fully. This is going to be one of the hardest things you will ever do, but it can also be one of the most rewarding. I'm practically living the typical Otaku's dream here, but the reason why, is because I'm not an Otaku. Otakus are heavily frowned upon. And don't even think of getting a girlfriend, unless she's one too. (I don't think I've met any yet.)
???????

Also, Anyone can do Japanese....

And Tokyo is overrated... especially that cosplay / harajuku crap... all those tools ever do is shop for crazy clothes and then wear them on that bridge next to Meiji shrine. What an exciting life. And Roppongi has some of the sadest excuses for clubs I have ever seen. I only got one day's worth of experience so I'm sure I haven't seen the best of Tokyo but I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

If any of you DO go to Japan, definitely go to Kyoto. The people there are among the nicest people in the world especially if you speak japanese. Even if you try, they will be sure to help you out
wink.gif

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
No nothing specific thanks
smile.gif
. Well, only if you know if Leiden has something outside specific Japanese studies... I'm in the last year of my highschool (gymnasium) now so I´m going to be danm busy, but they tend to have a lot of `out-of-school-hours' projects at Leiden (I can remember the LAPPTop project coming by, but sadly no Japanese was included) so is there one for Japanese (preferably one with internet rather then going to Leiden often)?
I'm pretty sure they don't have internet courses. You could consider taking up conversation classes though, and if you are really serious about it also "Moderne Teksten" which is basically translating Japanese sentences. Assuming you're gonna study at a university you can do these things for free but you're still gonna have to come to Leiden
wink.gif
While you're still in high school I don't think it's possible though.

S

solarsaturn9

For any of those in the states close to South Carolina, Clemson University in the upstate of SC has one of the greatest Japanese Language Programs in the states. Please consider it~
wink.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i'm feeling so bad so i didnt update here.
i read one hour japanese but i couldnt remember a word.
i'll update as i get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)