i'm learning japanese, sharing what i'm learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
There is nothing worse than teaching something incorrectly. It's very dangerous and irresponsible. I do not approve of this thread at all. Oh, and what's this?

A. Aa, Satou-san, Konnichiwa, Ohisashiburidesu
i used to type desu instead of des but i realized they pronounce it des not desu, so i started to type des instead of desu, i dye to hear your answer about it.
I suppose by your reckoning, then, we should all start spelling honor as onor now that your crusade to purge silent letters has begun. Fucking pillock.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lesson 013 : Donokurai Kakarimasuka
(How long does it take?)

cont. of story: So Mr.Tehrani(A) visited his friend Mr.Satou(B) and they are leaving airport to mr.Satou's house.

A.Uchimadewa Donokurai Kakarimasuka.
(how long does it take to your house?)

B.Daita san-ju ppun desu.
(about 30 minutes)

A.San-ju pun deska.
(30 minutes?)

Chikai desune.
(near, eh?/isnt it?)

B.ee.

(yeah)

-----------
Uchi = your home.
made = till (remember bus lesson?)
donokurai kakarimasuka = how long does it take.

Daitai = about.
san-ju ppun = 30 minutes.

deka -> made the sentence to question form.

chikai = about. note that its polite since there is des after ir.

if you press on "ne" in "chikai desune" it will have the question tag form.

"ee" is like yeah, less polite form of Yes which is "Hai".
-----
questions:
its written as donkurai but J people pronounced it donogurai, which one is true?
-----
i totally suck myself at learning Japanese, my mind is fucked up 100%. cant remember even one word.
hope you use these.
Please be careful with spelling mistakes. I don't mind helping with some of the Japanese, but don't spell every word differently the second time you write it. At least make an effort in spelling stuff correctly or what you think is correct, because it seems you have gotten a little lazy.

Really, just read it again. You only made spelling mistakes. Most notably "daitai". The rest you should be able to find yourself.

Also, it's better to put spaces between words and particles for clarity. Example:
Uchimadewa Donokurai Kakarimasuka
Uchi made wa Dono kurai Kakarimasu ka

As for kurai/gurai. You can use both. I personally prefer gurai though and it seems to be more commonly used where I live.

bajibbles

Ragnafreak
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is nothing worse than teaching something incorrectly. It's very dangerous and irresponsible. I do not approve of this thread at all. Oh, and what's this?
I suppose by your reckoning, then, we should all start spelling honor as onor now that your crusade to purge silent letters has begun. Fucking pillock.

who are you to just jump in and say that?
QUOTEI do not approve of this thread at all.
i doubt anyone in the thread cares less. for your information, while there are two types of romaji which are formally constructed, and you are emulating the character 'su' even though its pronounced as simply 's'. it's writing a language in the letters/characters of a DIFFERENT language... therefore there's nothing wrong with spelling it phonetically. It basically IS japanese represented phonetically in english characters... that's the only reason romaji exists.

P.S. there are no such thing as silent letters in japanese... you're the pillock if you're trying to use the grammatical rules of one language on another, or even compare them.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Please be careful with spelling mistakes. I don't mind helping with some of the Japanese, but don't spell every word differently the second time you write it. At least make an effort in spelling stuff correctly or what you think is correct, because it seems you have gotten a little lazy.

it was 5am in my local time and i just wanted to post a new lesson, just posting it to stay in the line of discipline.
I even didnt study Japanese yesterday but I didnt want to get it from people who are coming to this topic when I'm taking myself from it.

Really, just read it again. You only made spelling mistakes. Most notably "daitai". The rest you should be able to find yourself.
i corrected Daitai, but for instance, i try to stay loyal to original text for more so-called spelling mistakes. For instance in original text, they spelled one time "ppun" and another time "pun".
Since i'm not expert in Japanese, So i cant decide for myself that "ok, they are identical ...", since maybe i'm missing something and if i'm not helping here, lets not to damage anyone.
thnx for your

Also, it's better to put spaces between words and particles for clarity. Example:
Uchimadewa Donokurai Kakarimasuka
Uchi made wa Dono kurai Kakarimasu ka
As again, i'm trying to stay loyal to original text and they typed them this way.
And I personally think that this way is better since its more easily to differentiate "words" and if you are following from start then you should not have problem telling words. One other thing is, when a word is complicated I usually ask other people about its parts to understand how the word is made up (something that is not in original text, they just say learn this and that most of times).

As for kurai/gurai. You can use both. I personally prefer gurai though and it seems to be more commonly used where I live.
is Kurai the written form and gurai what they really pronounce? like Island in english?

who are you to just jump in and say that?
I do not approve of this thread at all.
i doubt anyone in the thread cares less. for your information, while there are two types of romaji which are formally constructed, and you are emulating the character 'su' even though its pronounced as simply 's'. it's writing a language in the letters/characters of a DIFFERENT language... therefore there's nothing wrong with spelling it phonetically. It basically IS japanese represented phonetically in english characters... that's the only reason romaji exists.

P.S. there are no such thing as silent letters in japanese... you're the pillock if you're trying to use the grammatical rules of one language on another, or even compare them.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran

hey, "mate"
we are here just learning "how to talk" (read pronunciations) and not how what typing is, so stop showing your "..." by comparing the "Honor and onor" and this topic, ok m8?

and TRY to understand that this topic a not your right and you didnt pay for it. its a privilege for you. (not offending anyone else).
and as i said in first page, if you cant help, try not to damage/harm. ok?
(refer to first page for more polite form)

gosh, i cant believe how these people react, there is no debt to be paid back or anything by me. why you are so sarcastic? is it that hard to help or atleast not to damage?

this whole thing is about learning (as the topic name implies), so try to move in that direction and i'm sure there are plenty of topics and sections for these type of sarcasm.

if your having problem understanding my post (which i predict you have), my concern is not what you said, is what made you say that.

would someone delete all these stuff please?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Glacius0, I uploaded it, so you can see the misspelling in original text and i just followed it for the said reason.
631q51w.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not here to flame, but i know anonymous hates weeabos and u sound like one.

in fact anonymous waged war against someone doing a similar thingo on youtube.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
ok, we still have unaswered questions, but I post new lesson, whenever I get previous lesson's answers, i'll post em.
so, here we are at

Lesson 014: Hajimemashte, Douzoyoroshiku.
(So glad to meet you/How do you do, I'm glad to make your acquaintance)

Story mode[!] : So alas they reached Mr.Satou's house and they are at his door.

Legend:
A ==
Mr. Tehrani
B == Mr.Satou
C == Kento

B. Saa, Douzo.
(So, come in please)

A.Arigatogozaimasu, Ojamashimasu.
(Thank you very much, Excuse me)

B.Kore, Musko no Kento desu.
(this is my son, Kento.)

C.Hajimemashte, Kento Desu.
(So Glad to meet you/How do you do, I am Kento.)

A.Hajimemashte, Dozoyoroshiku.
(How do you do, I'm glad to make your acquaintance.)

-----------
Notes:
A-"no" in "Musko no Kento desu" means "that".
depending on the sentence the meaning of it varies.

B- Mr.Tehrani(A) says "Ojamashimasu" When he is entering the house to mention his politeness.

C- here in the east, we have lots of these conversations that shows kindness and politeness and as I noticed they dont use these much in west.
(correct me if i'm wrong)
------------
Questions:
1- Do we say Hajimemashte just first time when wii meet someone?
-----------
hope this is helpful.
----------
even if no one comes here and its visitors doesnt increase, I'll do it till the end.

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great stuff. Even if I`m not serious about learning japanese and neither I want to invest time into it yet, I still learn a couple new words from time to time from this thread. I`m sure even such basic knowledge will come in handy later.

QUOTE said:
1- Do we say Hajimemashte just first time when wii meet someone?
I think Nintendo might have left some permanent marks on you

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
so, this lesson is different from others.
every 5 or so lessons we check Japanese proverbs to study their culture and their minds.
here we are at ...
Idioms 02 : Mizuni Nagasu.
(let the water cleans it away ...)

This proverb is used when two guys want to forget the problems and start all over again and forget/forgive misunderstandings.

Mizuni nagasu.

Mizu == Water
ni == means "to" or "in"
Nagasu == washing with water or when water takes something away.

Mizuni Nagasu.
let water takes it away and forget the past.

What do you think? do you forget people or take grudge? I hope you Miznuni Nagasu them.
----
Questions:
1-Nagasu means "let water takes it away" and i think its like a "to" form of the verb (its raw and original form) like to-eat and to-go. But when she used it she said like let water taking it away. dont they have to change the verb in order of the sentence?
----
lecture.gif
!

Overwhelming

Trophies
XP
Country
It makes me remember another proverb (and excuse me my lousy english): "past waters don't move the mill's wheel"

That would mean that you should not worry with something that already happened, so let the water go away.

Overwhelming

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if this proverb exists in other countries/cultures, but it's an old proverb here.

But what amazes me about proverbs is that there's similar pieces of wisdom in most cultures. And many times, they even use very similar alegories, although they don't have the same origin!

PeaCe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
its test84
lecture.gif
! borrowing my friends account, since my account has problems, i'm keeping here up with his account.
-----------------------------
So, after that proverb lesson, here we are at ...

Lesson 015 Gakusei deska.
(Are you a student?)

Legend:

(you know the legend is Solid snake! BTW!)

A.Mr.Tehrani
B.Kento (Mr.Satou's son)

A.Kento-san wa Gaksai deska.
(Mr.Kento, Are you a student?)

B.Iie, mou gaksai ja arimasen.
(I'm not a student anymore.)

shikaijin des.
(I'm a fulltime employee now.)

A.A, Soudeska.
(Oh, I'm sorry.)

Sorewa shitsurei shimashita.
(Excuse me.)
---------------------
Notes:
1- In Japanese conversations we dont usually use "YOU" to address the person
we are talking to, instead we use their names, in our case, Kento-san.

2-Negative form of "desu" is "Ja Arimasen"

3- the reason behind last sentences excuse is that mr.tehrani thought it was
unpolite for him to miscall mr.kento a student when he is more mature.

---------------------
Questions:
1- very unsolved problem till now is the "desu" or "des" ?
if they write "desu" and read it "des" should we write des or desu?
its strange since in all these lessons, they write desu and read it des,

there are other examples such as writing Gakusei and reading it Gaksei.
please clear us!

2-whats difference between "mashta", "des","shimas" and when we should we use
which one.

3-please someone translate the last sentence "Sorewa Shitsurei Shimashta"
since i cant map ot to given translated sentence.

4- "sore" means that, so why in last sentence mr.tehrani refered to himself
with sore? why not watashi? atleasn "kore" (which means this)?

PeaCe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
would an admin please edit the first page and address this lesson too?
appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.