JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking to OP, I agree (although if GC VC were to happen, I'd bet it would be in a Devolution style virtual machine rather than an emulator.)

If you were talking to [user]the_randomizer[/user] I think he means he'd use Dolphin on a PC
I meant the OP. There is no way that the Wii U could emulate the Wii. The general rule is that it has to be 10 times as powerful as the emulated system.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, makes sense. my first impression was that you were just responding to the previous post (it fit so well, too ... albeit not the most intelligent response) but it kinda clicked half way through writing the message so I decided to take the chance to add the VC comment that had just occurred to me :tpi:
/pointless comment.

n1ckn4m3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, wouldn't it be possible to change the internal render resolution to 1080p with a hack of some sort without actually doing an entire emulation layer? I know that this alone would probably cause graphical glitches (it works in Dolphin because they specifically hack / patch problems, etc.), but with the access that we have to the vWii, wouldn't this be possible? Unfortunately I don't know enough about how the Wii determines the internal render resolution (whether it's hard-coded per game or whether it uses a system variable to differentiate 480i/480p) to know if this is possible, but the GPU in the WiiU should be powerful enough to render any Wii game at 1080p if all it's doing is increasing the internal render resolution, right?

If this is stupid for some reason I don't know, sorry, but please let me know instead of just dogging me for not knowing today. :)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Out of curiosity, wouldn't it be possible to change the internal render resolution to 1080p with a hack of some sort without actually doing an entire emulation layer? I know that this alone would probably cause graphical glitches (it works in Dolphin because they specifically hack / patch problems, etc.), but with the access that we have to the vWii, wouldn't this be possible? Unfortunately I don't know enough about how the Wii determines the internal render resolution (whether it's hard-coded per game or whether it uses a system variable to differentiate 480i/480p) to know if this is possible, but the GPU in the WiiU should be powerful enough to render any Wii game at 1080p if all it's doing is increasing the internal render resolution, right?

If this is stupid for some reason I don't know, sorry, but please let me know instead of just dogging me for not knowing today. :)
No, I don't think is stupid at all.
In fact, I like the idea very much, It's all I ever wished for ever since backward compatibility was announced for the Wii U.

But being Nintendo the stubborn company that it is, of course they wouldn't do it in the sake of being true to the original release of the game ( look at the whole VC library ).
Also, if Nintendo itself couldn't find a way to make games 1080p upscaled ( I mean the internal resolution ) and still be 100% perfect, I doubt they'll ever do it.

But I'm sure we will see quite a few re-masters or remakes, like Zelda WW, taking advantage of the higher resolution and improving things.

For the rest, we just have to have a little faith in the homebrew scene and hope that somebody could achieve better graphics for Wii or GC games sometime down in the future.
Even with some glitches, I'll be glad to get that at all.
Wait and have faith, that's all we can do......;)

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD Wii gaming!!

I don't get how this would work. Unless you re-created the textures all you can hope for is a decent upscale. Most modern TVs will do a very good job of this on their own. The Wii actually looks pretty decent on a 46" Bravia.

n1ckn4m3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD Wii gaming!!

I don't get how this would work. Unless you re-created the textures all you can hope for is a decent upscale. Most modern TVs will do a very good job of this on their own. The Wii actually looks pretty decent on a 46" Bravia.

Surprisingly, many games on the Wii have higher resolution textures than the Wii was capable of displaying or rendering. This is fairly common practice (it also happened a lot on the PS2). You can verify this behavior if you run the games in Dolphin at the higher resolution. Not all games do, of course, but I was quite surprised to see how many had higher res textures. It's true that native upscaling looks decent, but compared to proper internal render resolution changing, it's almost night and day...

Reactions: Mantis41

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surprisingly, many games on the Wii have higher resolution textures than the Wii was capable of displaying or rendering. This is fairly common practice (it also happened a lot on the PS2). You can verify this behavior if you run the games in Dolphin at the higher resolution. Not all games do, of course, but I was quite surprised to see how many had higher res textures. It's true that native upscaling looks decent, but compared to proper internal render resolution changing, it's almost night and day...
Cool! Did not know that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
HD Wii gaming!!

Dolphin does it, and it's not bad with the current-resolution terxtures.

b7e79b6a3ff8a5b20d22fac6eecba374.jpg

Reactions: n1ckn4m3

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dolphin does it, and it's not bad with the current-resolution terxtures.

b7e79b6a3ff8a5b20d22fac6eecba374.jpg
Not bad! I remember this scene looking a bit pastille and nondescript on the Wii. The shadows, highlights and reflections really pop in that capture. I'll have to give it a go.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think ps4 is more a pc with a video game magic skin.
And i only want a devolution version who can work on vwii to can play gc games.

The developer of Devolution insists on physical disk verification, because he has a stick up his butt worried about piracy on a dead system which can only have used game sales anyways. The Wii U's drive probably doesn't have the firmware needed to read a GC disc, even if he got a physical adapter so you could get it in there. There won't be Devolution for vWii, unless the developer gets rid of the physical disc requirement.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The developer of Devolution insists on physical disk verification, because he has a stick up his butt worried about piracy on a dead system which can only have used game sales anyways. The Wii U's drive probably doesn't have the firmware needed to read a GC disc, even if he got a physical adapter so you could get it in there. There won't be Devolution for vWii, unless the developer gets rid of the physical disc requirement.

^This. AP detection for games that are for a dead system are moot point at best. Enforce AP measures on a dead console? Ingenious! We should do the same with MP3s! Let's authenticate those songs with a CD to make sure they legally possess the songs!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The program itself is probably a joke. Why won't somebody hack the program to not need physical disc verification;-)

Because it's not that simple, the way it verifies the disc is complex and how it generates an ID or whatever it uses to authenticate the disc. If it were that easy, it would be decrypted by now.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The program itself is probably a joke.
No, he's dead serious, and it's something that was not done until he came alone and did it, and nobody else has released the same thing since.

Why won't somebody hack the program to not need physical disc verification;-)
Why don't you, if it's simple?

You know, just because you disagree with somebody doesn't make them dumb. They could very well be a hell of a lot more experienced than you...

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, he's dead serious, and it's something that was not done until he came alone and did it, and nobody else has released the same thing since.

Why don't you, if it's simple?

You know, just because you disagree with somebody doesn't make them dumb. They could very well be a hell of a lot more experienced than you...
Never said DUMB, I said it is a joke. No right to opinion huh? Does it make me a racist next? Or something else? It is my 1st Amendment right, and does not break the rules of the site either. People tried to create/sell programs for the 360. One was to modify hard drives from PC. Some made free tools but somebody made it a BIT better and so people cracked it;-) People get code all the time, will he file a lawsuit? What if it is released "Anonymously"? I get the whole, "Play GC games on here but not helping piracy." However, Nintendo would prefer somebody BUY A GC instead of writing a program to avoid that. So, not entirely innocent and sort of hypocritical also. "No piracy, just pirate a system."

Maybe people who support emulators should not promote piracy for SNES and Genesis games? What about Dolphin on PC? Everyone loves that but does not see this as pure hypocrisy? For not liking it, that is my opinion. He/she wrote it, congrats, so righteous of them considering they are bypassing a SYSTEM with their program. Again, did not say DUMB, they are obviously smart being able to code. I respect that part.

Mapleine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least one of the consoles actually has backwards compatibility and the definitive ports of a PC game

Yeah, that's what I want, the by-a-hair best worst version of two or three games eight years into a console cycle...

This silly argument just makes me wish Nintendo would hurry up with some good original Wii U games, it's not even good as an ancillary unit right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: There is black rice flour, and its really black colored